Our best 22 would win games

Remove this Banner Ad

So yeah, it's been dire, demoralising, disgusting, disjointed, hard to watch, hard to comprehend, and hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We are probably at the lowest point in our history and you can't escape the conclusion that there are deep internal problems. I've wanted to support the coach, but there is no real basis for doing so. I've wanted to believe that we have competent list management and recruiting, but the evidence is to the contrary. I like to support the players, but some simply don't have the ability to be on an AFL list.

I do, however, wish to remain a NMFC supporter, in the true sense of the word. Many on this board disappoint me as they seem to absolutely revel in the misery. There are posters here who are only up when the club is down, and that's s**t.

So, in the interest of being positive, I still believe we have the core of a solid football team. If we were ever able to get our best 22 on the park, we would win games. The one player we could least afford to be without is Cunnington - a literal matchwinner. Of course, his health is way more important than football and I'm not suggesting in any way that we should rush him back in. But if / when it happens, here's the team that would win its fair share of games:

Corr McKay McDonald

Hall (J Walker/Young) TT

Stephenson Cunnington (Scott/Polec)

Anderson Comben Zurhaar

Goldstein Larkey JHF

(Xerri/CCJ) LDU Simpkin

Powell Curtis Phillips Taylor

Possibles: 3 of the above plus Perez / Greenwood / Ziebell / Mahony / Bonar / Atu / Ford

Next year?: Goater McGuiness P Walker Spicer Edwards Dawson

Yes, huge hole at CHB and we'll need to replace Hall and Goldy soon, but this team is good enough to win games.

So yeah, it's been dire, demoralising, disgusting, disjointed, hard to watch, hard to comprehend, and hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We are probably at the lowest point in our history and you can't escape the conclusion that there are deep internal problems. I've wanted to support the coach, but there is no real basis for doing so. I've wanted to believe that we have competent list management and recruiting, but the evidence is to the contrary. I like to support the players, but some simply don't have the ability to be on an AFL list.

I do, however, wish to remain a NMFC supporter, in the true sense of the word. Many on this board disappoint me as they seem to absolutely revel in the misery. There are posters here who are only up when the club is down, and that's s**t.

So, in the interest of being positive, I still believe we have the core of a solid football team. If we were ever able to get our best 22 on the park, we would win games. The one player we could least afford to be without is Cunnington - a literal matchwinner. Of course, his health is way more important than football and I'm not suggesting in any way that we should rush him back in. But if / when it happens, here's the team that would win its fair share of games:

Corr McKay McDonald

Hall (J Walker/Young) TT

Anderson Comben Zurhaar

Goldstein Larkey JHF

(Xerri/CCJ) LDU Simpkin

Possibles: 3 of the above plus Perez / Greenwood / Ziebell / Mahony / Bonar / Atu / Ford

Yes, huge hole at CHB and we'll need to replace Hall and Goldy soon, but this team is good enough to win games.
I reckon we will win a few post the bye

Corr McKay McDonald

Hall (J Walker/Young) TT

Anderson Comben Zurhaar

Goldstein Larkey JHF

(Xerri/CCJ) LDU Simpkin

I know this is a positive thread, but unless we fix our workrate, skill level and our structures with and without the ball we won’t be winning anything.

I know this is a positive thread, but unless we fix our workrate, skill level and our structures with and without the ball we won’t be winning anything.

I don't think workrate is a problem though it needs to be for longer in games.

Skill level is an issue, but more so in the current 22 than the 'best'.

Structures, yeah, need fixing.

I don't think workrate is a problem though it needs to be for longer in games.

Skill level is an issue, but more so in the current 22 than the 'best'.

Structures, yeah, need fixing.

The workrate of our midfield group to go both ways is a disgrace.

They’re lazy, dumb or badly coached(possibly all 3), it’s as simple as that.

Corr McKay McDonald

Hall (J Walker/Young) TT

Anderson Comben Zurhaar

Goldstein Larkey JHF

(Xerri/CCJ) LDU Simpkin

Absolutely on the money LtK. BennyC is easily the last player we could afford to lose and yet few here and certainly in the media, ever recognise that. I think our midfield is now playing exhausted without his toughness to lead the way. The only midfielder who comes near him for the level of inside toughness is Jed and he doesn't see a lot of centre bounce action.

Throw in Hall's absence, which has left a gaping hole in our defence, a fit and firing Polec, coupled with the truly shocking run with injuries/concussion that Ben McKay, our best key defender, has had and it just makes it all extremely tough on the team as a whole.

Back to Cunnington. I've said this before. When you lose your best player, you never replace him with your second best player, but rather at best someone who is not even in your best 22. That amounts to a huge gap in talent out there week in week out.

Great post Ltkangas. I think we’re capable of a 6 win season with the talent on our list atm as soon as we get our shite together. Add another good draft hand and if we can get some improvement into the existing lads, things can turn quickly. Ben McKay is a gun. I like Bailey Scott out of a back pocket, Aiden Corr has had a good month. I am happy with the young lad from Williamstown we just recruited. Hopefully he can become the CHB we’re looking for

Remove this Banner Ad

Back