Our best ball user

Remove this Banner Ad

Henderson has the highest disposal efficiency in the team at 80.05%, both Guthries, Bews and Stewart are also before Tuohy.

There's a reason most defenders have the best disposal Efficiency, because they take the slow, easy sideways option.

If Tuohy having a lower disposal Efficiency is because he's looking for more attacking options up the field rather than looking sideways then that's fine with me :thumbsu: Same for Thurlow if he returns to half back flank next season.

There's a reason most defenders have the best disposal Efficiency, because they take the slow, easy sideways option.

If Tuohy having a lower disposal Efficiency is because he's looking for more attacking options up the field rather than looking sideways then that's fine with me :thumbsu: Same for Thurlow if he returns to half back flank next season.
Can you punish the defenders because they take safe options, though? I would have thought, for the most part that's what you want - especially if our forwards and mids haven't spread.

Ablett, duncan and thrulow are the only real good kicks in our team. Hawkins is excellent field kick for a big man

Shocked people are naming parfitt and menegola. Both below average kicks. Dont rate Tuohy, kicking style is fine but decision making is non existant when under pressure

Can you punish the defenders because they take safe options, though? I would have thought, for the most part that's what you want - especially if our forwards and mids haven't spread.

Not if that's their role you definitely can't punish them, but that's why I usually don't include defenders (key defenders at least) when I'm looking at disposal Efficiency unless they are an attacking defender like a Tuohy or someone like Bews.

My first thought was Duncan then daylight.
He was my immediate thought also, David. Duncan is so underrated, if a runner-up in our B & F can be underrated. Silky skills, poise and has brought consistency to his game. We are in seriously good shape when Mitch Duncan is our 4th best mid-fielder, not to mention Menegola as a very good B-Grade mf player! Which is why I suspect we may experiment with Danger playing the GAS FF role quite a bit this year. He would kick 70-80 goals as a semi-permanent FF. Pinch-hit in the guts when required and to ease his undoubted frustration and let GAJ give him a chop-out at FF. Nightmare for opposition defensive coaches and full-backs. Allows Hawkins to roam around the F50 arc instead of being double and triple-teamed. In as much as I see a lot of commentary regarding "one player doesn't make that much of a difference", I think a fit and firing GAJ changes the entire dynamic of the team dramatically, giving us previously unheard of options.

Effective ball use is a combination of skills and decision making - for all round use I'd have Duncan and Gaz at the head of the pack.
In terms of use by hand Parfitt is amazing for such an inexperienced kid and I reckon Menegola goes alright by hand in close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The majority are awful users of the ball by hand and foot,but they spend so much time at training perfecting that little one mtr handball in close to a player standing flat footed:mad:,you play like you train.I hope that changes this year with some really creative handball and precision field kicking,plenty of work to be done.
If that's true then I guess we'll look forward to more of the same next season.

Blast from the past- Paul Couch, Garry Hocking. Talk about elite ball use under pressure.
Peter Riccardi's disposal was also delightful to watch
Back further, Billy Goggin was the best stab pass in the comp and almost certainly responsible for gifting Doug Wade many of his goals with bullet-like passes on his chest.
Denis Marshall was also right up there.

Last edited:
GAJ for me too...

I think the disposal of Duncan, Thurlow, Menegola and Hawkins is a pretty good standard and are my next tier.

Followed by Guthrie, Henderson, Taylor, Parsons, Zuthrie and Selwood probably the next group.

I'm yet to make up my mind which of the 1st-3rd year players has the best disposal. I'm leaning towards Zuthrie at this stage, just by a whisker over Parsons and Parfitt. I still think Parfitt's depth in his kicking might lack a little, but he is certainly the best over those three to get through traffic.

As much as I like PFD, what a star he is, his field kicking can let him down, but he more than makes up for it with the number of touches, clearances, goals, etc etc.

He was my immediate thought also, David. Duncan is so underrated, if a runner-up in our B & F can be underrated. Silky skills, poise and has brought consistency to his game. We are in seriously good shape when Mitch Duncan is our 4th best mid-fielder, not to mention Menegola as a very good B-Grade mf player! Which is why I suspect we may experiment with Danger playing the GAS FF role quite a bit this year. He would kick 70-80 goals as a semi-permanent FF. Pinch-hit in the guts when required and to ease his undoubted frustration and let GAJ give him a chop-out at FF. Nightmare for opposition defensive coaches and full-backs. Allows Hawkins to roam around the F50 arc instead of being double and triple-teamed. In as much as I see a lot of commentary regarding "one player doesn't make that much of a difference", I think a fit and firing GAJ changes the entire dynamic of the team dramatically, giving us previously unheard of options.
Great comments.
The fit and firing GAJ bit is the key though, and how lucky are we if that eventuates.

Henderson has the highest disposal efficiency in the team at 80.05%, both Guthries, Bews and Stewart are also before Tuohy.
Disposal efficiency doesnt account for the pressure players are under nor what they are attempting to do with their possessions. An awful lot of defenders possessions are chip kicking in the backline with zero pressure.

Disposal efficiency doesnt account for the pressure players are under nor what they are attempting to do with their possessions. An awful lot of defenders possessions are chip kicking in the backline with zero pressure.
I know, I just don't understand why that eliminates them from the discussion. A lot of their kicks are also under pressure, and they still do pretty well. You are either a good kick, or not a good kick, surely? Is taking a high risk, low percentage kick better ball use than maintaining possession when coming out of the backline?

I agree in principal, but Hendo is still a pretty good user of the ball imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back