Our best ball user

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to agree with Daniel McL regarding the defenders, "because they take the slow, easy sideways option." Still, it gives our players time to move forward + our backs are great kicks, I think. Often there'll be a loose man right back, but they kick sideways. Why not kick long + move the ball forward more quickly, while the oppo team is still in their F50? I reckon the most accurate defenders:
Henderson
Bews
Thurlow

Putting defenders aside, for the above reason, but not diminishing their role, my top three:
Cam Guthrie
Duncan
J Selwood

I tend to agree with Daniel McL regarding the defenders, "because they take the slow, easy sideways option." Still, it gives our players time to move forward + our backs are great kicks, I think. Often there'll be a loose man right back, but they kick sideways. Why not kick long + move the ball forward more quickly, while the oppo team is still in their F50? I reckon the most accurate defenders:
Henderson
Bews
Thurlow

Putting defenders aside, for the above reason, but not diminishing their role, my top three:
Cam Guthrie
Duncan
J Selwood
selwood?????? I love joel but his main weakness is his disposal. It is average at best and attrocious at worst.

Found the Statistics for '2017 Geelong Effective Disposals % Per Game Leaders'

View attachment 445154
Those stats don't tell us much about real kicking efficiency, because 'effective disposals' include handballs, and long kicks which go to a 50/50 situation; even short but misdirected kicks count if your intended team-mate still manages to get it.

Those stats don't tell us much about real kicking efficiency, because 'effective disposals' include handballs, and long kicks which go to a 50/50 situation; even short but misdirected kicks count if your intended team-mate still manages to get it.
Thank you for pointing that out Fred. When people were discussing disposal efficiency, I thought of checking the DE% statistics, without realising the stats include the other disposals you mentioned.

So I've checked the Effective Disposals + they reveal a different story -
2017 Geelong Effective Disposals Per Game Leaders.jpg

Including DE% for ease of comparison
2017 Geelong Effective Disposals Per Game Leaders.jpg

Attachments

• 2017 Geelong Effective Disposals % Per Game Leaders.jpg
    2017 Geelong Effective Disposals % Per Game Leaders.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 1
Almost certainly related to the injury/fitness difficulties he was under, preventing him from getting his usual 5 metre break on opponents in order to steady.
no doubt that was part of it. But he was attrocious that night in his disposal, not just a bit off. The injury isnt enough to take him from fantastic disposer to worst in the team.

no doubt that was part of it. But he was attrocious that night in his disposal, not just a bit off. The injury isnt enough to take him from fantastic disposer to worst in the team.
it is if it effects your balance and ROM on one foot...

Im not saying he wasnt poor on the disposal front - he was - but id also suggest it played more than a glancing role.

GO Catters

selwood?????? I love joel but his main weakness is his disposal. It is average at best and attrocious at worst.
I'm flabbergasted a Geelong supporter would write that.

Duncan for a set shot or long kick but for anything under 40 Selwood weights the ball as good as anyone in the game. I'm sure it has already been mentioned but his stats would be very blurred as so many of his disposals are under extreme pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menegola has delivered some incredible passes into our forward line. But then can also shank them.
Thurlows kicking is pretty good.
You are seriously taking the pi$$. Menegola is attrocious by foot. I'm sure he is instructed to go long as often as possible.

You are seriously taking the pi$$. Menegola is attrocious by foot. I'm sure he is instructed to go long as often as possible.
A lot of supporters tend to have a dig at Menegola, but IMO, I think he's a pretty good player. I'd have him in the starting 18 anyday of the week. He actually has good weight on his ball delivery on both sides.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

J Selwood is an average kick and terrible set shot for goal

Duncan and Ablett by a long way.

Then Thurlow, Cam Guthrie and GHS.

J Selwood is an average kick and terrible set shot for goal

Duncan and Ablett by a long way.

Then Thurlow, Cam Guthrie and GHS.
Selwood would comfortably be our best clutch set shot at goal. When the game is in the balance I can't remember him missing shots

I know, I just don't understand why that eliminates them from the discussion. A lot of their kicks are also under pressure, and they still do pretty well. You are either a good kick, or not a good kick, surely? Is taking a high risk, low percentage kick better ball use than maintaining possession when coming out of the backline?
No a lot of their kicks are not under pressure. Almost all defenders kicks have no pressure these days. And taking a high risk kick if it opens up play and is executed well is ten times better then a 20m chip backwards to a guy on his own. It can create goals from nothing.

Last edited:
Menegola has horrible turmovers. But when he connects he has had some fantastic passess this year. Has serious depth on his kicking and ball speed that occassionally brings back memories of darren jarman. Then he will scrub his next two kicks.

I'm flabbergasted a Geelong supporter would write that.

Duncan for a set shot or long kick but for anything under 40 Selwood weights the ball as good as anyone in the game. I'm sure it has already been mentioned but his stats would be very blurred as so many of his disposals are under extreme pressure.
Go watch the prelim. He was our worst kick in the game that will be remembered as butcher ball.

His field passing has always been poor. Constantly mis kicks and rarely gets the ball to spin like a decent drop punt.

Selwoods under sold here, he is one of the only that will take the extra couple of steps to slow down and steady when emerging from a contest.

Seen many times balls hitting t*ts in clutch moments.
Stole my thunder. Was comparing him to Danger one game when they were both getting free. The efficiency diff is big. Like chalk and cheese. Pisses me off no end when ppl say Danger is so much better.

His efficiency level needs to be weighted with the fact half the time he gets the pill he has it 5 opponents within one metre of him.

Go watch the prelim. He was our worst kick in the game that will be remembered as butcher ball.

His field passing has always been poor. Constantly mis kicks and rarely gets the ball to spin like a decent drop punt.

The bolded is just ludicrously wrong.

Played a poor Prelim final no doubt (as did virtually everyone); ankle was clearly an issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back