Our best ball user

Remove this Banner Ad

Menegola has horrible turmovers. But when he connects he has had some fantastic passess this year. Has serious depth on his kicking and ball speed that occassionally brings back memories of darren jarman. Then he will scrub his next two kicks.
I rate your stuff, but to mention Menegola in the same breath as D Jarman is nearly sacrilege.

selwood?????? I love joel but his main weakness is his disposal. It is average at best and attrocious at worst.

Glad thats your opinion def not mine.

Best ball user can be a tricky one for the reason of the percentage kick opposed to the money kick, as the money kick has a higher risk (J Selwood quite often takes risks hence him turning the ball over more often) but some players when in their prime seem to nail that kick more often than not. Stevie J was a prime example as when he was on song he continually created goal assists from plays that appeared 50/50 at best. Although Duncan has probably been our best ball user in recent times he generally does go for the percentage kick but regardless it's fair to say that our team has been lacking in this area with perhaps our poor finals record in recent years attributing to that fact. Players who set up goals (goal assists) on regular basis I regard as the equal to the most important players in a team, so with Gazza Jnr coming back to Catland along with the likes of Linc McCarthy from injury and a overall player/team improvement in this critical area of the game, it will hopefully see our team perform with a better ball use and goal productivity for the 2018 season. I also think a 'more mobile backline' will assist with a better ball use and a setting up of goals.

Last edited:

I rate your stuff, but to mention Menegola in the same breath as D Jarman is nearly sacrilege.
you missed the bit about the two scrubbers straight after. Some of mengolas passes this year have given me serious football erections this season just the way jarmans did. But for every great one there are numerous shanks that follow.

Best ball user can be a tricky one for the reason of the percentage kick opposed to the money kick, as the money kick has a higher risk (J Selwood quite often takes risks hence him turning the ball over more often) but some players when in their prime seem to nail that kick more often than not. Stevie J was a prime example as when he was on song he continually created goal assists from plays that appeared 50/50 at best. Although Duncan has probably been our best ball user in recent times he generally does go for the percentage kick but regardless it's fair to say that our team has been lacking in this area with perhaps our poor finals record in recent years attributing to that fact. Players who set up goals (goal assists) on regular basis I regard as the equal to the most important players in a team, so with Gazza Jnr coming back to Catland along with the likes of Linc McCarthy from injury and a overall player/team improvement in this critical area of the game, it will hopefully see our team perform with a better ball use and goal productivity for the 2018 season. I also think a 'more mobile backline' will assist with a better ball use and a setting up of goals.
cough menzel cough. why is he being constantly ignored from this conversion. He does the same great stuff that SJ did with his passes.

Watched the Prelim, and his entire career.
Very neat by foot.
Would back him in to hit a forward target ahead of everyone in our team bar Duncan.
lol. Its not even just his inaccurate kicking that is a problem. His handball accuracy has been a weakness in the past two years as well. Particularly in pressure moments of games.

lol. Its not even just his inaccurate kicking that is a problem. His handball accuracy has been a weakness in the past two years as well. Particularly in pressure moments of games.
I honestly can't tell where you're getting any of this from. Do you have any examples, footage, stats? Because I would have to categorically disagree as-is yet you seem so certain.

cough menzel cough. why is he being constantly ignored from this conversion. He does the same great stuff that SJ did with his passes.
True.

[edit]No! Wait. Menzel also did some crap passes/poor decision making in the same(?) game you are having a go at Selwood. Therefore, Menzel is a terrible passer too. I'm sorry, my decision is final

No a lot of their kicks are not under pressure. Almost all defenders kicks have no pressure these days. And taking a high risk kick if it opens up play and is executed well is ten times better then a 20m chip backwards to a guy on his own. It can create goals from nothing.
IO say yes they are, you say no they aren't. Great debate this one. How about we get some evidence into the discussion, hey?

Champion data has a metric to sort that issue out - kick rating - and what do you know, our best kick this year was Zac Tuohy with a kick rating of 6.4, placing him as the 7th best kick in the league. Ablett came in at 4th. Kick rating incorporates kicks under pressure, and soothes your concerns. I stand by my position that the dismissal of defenders undermines any credibility in assessment of best disposal in this thread.

No a lot of their kicks are not under pressure. Almost all defenders kicks have no pressure these days.

I also feel that this comment needs to be highlighted. This is clearly counter to the actual way teams have won premierships in the last two years, where the small defensive forward has significantly turned up the pressure on defenders.

I categorically reject this assumption.

cough menzel cough. why is he being constantly ignored from this conversion. He does the same great stuff that SJ did with his passes..
Menzel would want to have a high strike rate with the minimal amount of passing he does.

IO say yes they are, you say no they aren't. Great debate this one. How about we get some evidence into the discussion, hey?

Champion data has a metric to sort that issue out - kick rating - and what do you know, our best kick this year was Zac Tuohy with a kick rating of 6.4, placing him as the 7th best kick in the league. Ablett came in at 4th. Kick rating incorporates kicks under pressure, and soothes your concerns. I stand by my position that the dismissal of defenders undermines any credibility in assessment of best disposal in this thread.
Touhy is one of best kicks though. He was recruited to be the defedner who kicks the ball out of defence. Our other defenders not so much. Yet they all rank high on kicking efficiency. I wonder why.

Touhy is one of best kicks though. He was recruited to be the defedner who kicks the ball out of defence. Our other defenders not so much. Yet they all rank high on kicking efficiency. I wonder why.
Most of our defenders are definitely good kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, Menegola does seem to hit players on the tit, and moving players at that.
But he somehow often gets mesmerised by four white posts from distances and angles that should not trouble players in minor country leagues.

Interesting fact but Cocky won the kicking tests in his draft combine.
It certainly doesn't look like that happened now but imagine if he could get elite kicking skills going with all his other attributes.
He could be a beyond amazing player if everything goes right.

Interesting fact but Cocky won the kicking tests in his draft combine.
It certainly doesn't look like that happened now but imagine if he could get elite kicking skills going with all his other attributes.
He could be a beyond amazing player if everything goes right.
cocky is a bit like menegola. has serious power on his boot and moves the ball quickly through the air. Just mis hits them to often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back