Opinion Our best defence

Remove this Banner Ad

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think most areas of the ground are settled bar the odd change, but one area where determining the best structure whilst providing opportunities, is defence. Plus it’s showing a real cohesion over recent weeks with most players displaying good form at times.

Defenders used:
Key: Murray and Butts
Midsize: Doedee, Hinge and I won’t say his name as he should never ever and I mean never ever play there again
Flanks: Smith, Milera
Smalls: Max the King, Parnell

Waiting in the wings Worrell who I really want to see soon. I also like what Parnell brings. I’m also loving what Hinge is bringing to defence but he’s also a winger, even though I think he’d be great at half forward.

This is my preferred structure assuming all healthy and in form:

Doedee Murray Max
Smith Butts Milera

Worrell or Parnell on the bench depending on match ups and Mileras form can’t keep dipping saved by the odd good game

I'd probably swap Milera for Worrell, just to get a dynamic intercepting defender in the side, but I think our go-to is on the money this year outside of it. Seems a good mix of defensively reliable players and dynamic ball users.

Unless we want to hail mary Hinge into becoming an inside mid and that somehow works.

I think most areas of the ground are settled bar the odd change, but one area where determining the best structure whilst providing opportunities, is defence. Plus it’s showing a real cohesion over recent weeks with most players displaying good form at times.

Defenders used:
Midsize: Doedee, Hinge and I won’t say his name as he should never ever and I mean never ever play there again

Waiting in the wings Worrell who I really want to see soon. I also like what Parnell brings. I’m also loving what Hinge is bringing to defence but he’s also a winger, even though I think he’d be great at half forward.

Doedee Murray Max
Smith Butts Milera

Worrell or Parnell on the bench depending on match ups and Mileras form can’t keep dipping saved by the odd good game
Still blows my mind that you can have a 191cm small defender. Mark Stevens was only 190cm. Game has got much taller, quickly.

Defenders used:

Doedee Murray Max
Smith Butts Milera

I like young Cook off hb in the 2s too. And Nankervis.

I like young Cook off hb in the 2s too. And Nankervis.

I'm a tad disappointed we ditched the Cook at hbf experiment as quickly as we did. My dude looked Dawson like in that one trial game.

Nank is one I'd like in, but it just looks like one that needs injuries for it to occur.

Defenders used:

Doedee Murray Max
Smith Butts Milera

I think you are right.

With Parnell switching through off the bench.

I love what Milera brings and for those suggesting Worrell to replace him, sorry, I think Max stole Worrells spot. Milera's composure under pressure and his ability to withstand tackles and find the smallest of gaps is simply irreplaceable. Thats why he is in the side every week. You know if he has the ball down back, the opposition will find it hard to get it back.

I think you are right.

With Parnell switching through off the bench.

I love what Milera brings and for those suggesting Worrell to replace him, sorry, I think Max stole Worrells spot. Milera's composure under pressure and his ability to withstand tackles and find the smallest of gaps is simply irreplaceable. Thats why he is in the side every week. You know if he has the ball down back, the opposition will find it hard to get it back.
Disagree - Max is playing as a small defender so nothing to do with Worrell.

My best side would be.

B: Michalanney, Butts, Murray
HB: Smith, Worrell, Doedee
C: Jones, Dawson, Hinge
HF: Pedlar, Walker, Rachele
F: Rankine, Fogarty, McAdam
R: Thilthorpe, Soligo, Laird
I: Milera, Keays, Sloane, O'Brien
Sub: Murphy
E: Himmelberg, Parnell, Sholl

But we should be rotating around 30 players with horses for courses.

The players I have on the edge are;
Milera - Parnell may surpass him or play Sholl with Hinge moving back into defence.

Keays could easily make way for Murphy as a sub option or McHenry.

I have McAdam best 22... but needs to earn his way back.

Disagree - Max is playing as a small defender so nothing to do with Worrell.

My best side would be.

B: Michalanney, Butts, Murray
HB: Smith, Worrell, Doedee
C: Jones, Dawson, Hinge
HF: Pedlar, Walker, Rachele
F: Rankine, Fogarty, McAdam
R: Thilthorpe, Soligo, Laird
I: Milera, Keays, Sloane, O'Brien
Sub: Murphy
E: Himmelberg, Parnell, Sholl

But we should be rotating around 30 players with horses for courses.

The players I have on the edge are;
Milera - Parnell may surpass him or play Sholl with Hinge moving back into defence.

Keays could easily make way for Murphy as a sub option or McHenry.

I have McAdam best 22... but needs to earn his way back.

lol worrell has played 5 games and he is in your best defence. hilarious.

lol worrell has played 5 games and he is in your best defence. hilarious.
I also had Jones in my best 22.... which many thought was hilarious!

Would have played round 1 if not injured.

You will eat your words again as Worrell will be a gun.

Have you worked out Max is playing as a small defender yet...

Defenders used:

Doedee Murray Max
Smith Butts Milera

Good topic and shows without injury how hard it will be to pick our best defence moving forward. So do we actually hope/wish that we get either Redman or Himmelberg?

Do we wait a year and go the cheaper salary cap option of Jakob Ryan - or as per Hamish on Gettable go for this years draft which has a dozen brilliant half back flankers to ultimately replace Smith?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd probably swap Milera for Worrell, just to get a dynamic intercepting defender in the side, but I think our go-to is on the money this year outside of it. Seems a good mix of defensively reliable players and dynamic ball users.

Unless we want to hail mary Hinge into becoming an inside mid and that somehow works.
not sure about that. With Worrell (who I rate VERY highly) we then have 2/3 intercepters - we dont need that many. Milera is up there as the most elite ball user in our team when on song and as a key distributor off the half back line along with Smithers, esp staying composed under pressure like we saw on Sunday, gives us a better balance. Long term probably only Dude or Worrell is with the club next year anyway

Its an interesting question.

A lot IMO depends on what Doedee wants to do.

Right now IMO our best 7 would look like this:

FB: Max Butts Doedee
HB: Smith Murray Hinge

With 2 of the bench spots given to Worrell and Milera.

Parnell is the unlucky one to miss out and in truth its more for his lack of attacking.

I think surrounding Butts/Murray with Smith, Worrell, Hinge and Milera gives us plenty of drive. I think in coming years once Max gets AFL fit / even more comfortable - his offensive side will become absolutely amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back