Opinion Our best defender in Modern era

Remove this Banner Ad

Born in 81 also...
Archer
Martyn
King

Tarrant, Thompson & Pickett not far behind.

Kingy was a deadset gun! Pickett also. Would love either in our team right now. Run & gun, kick goals & tough as nails.

Started watching in late 80's.

My backline from then to now would be:

B: Glenn Archer - Mick Martyn - Scott Thompson
HB: David King - Robbie Tarrant - Byron Pickett

If I was to rank, hard to go past Arch, but the rest are pretty close.

HM's to Ross Smith, John Blakey, Dean Laidley and Johnny Law, and a shout out to Doc Sholl during his time off the back flank. Underrated.

Last edited:

Its a pity Scott McMahon played in an ordinary era......could read the play half an hour before it happened. Would've been a superstar in the 90s.

1. Dench
2. Rosco
3. Arch

That’ll do me. Dench was unbelievable and exactly the type of player who’d help fast track our revival if he was drafted this year.

Glendinning was so dominant at CHB.

Arch/Mighty Mick hard to split.

Its a pity Scott McMahon played in an ordinary era......could read the play half an hour before it happened. Would've been a superstar in the 90s.

Our last 20 years could be summed up with "if he'd played 10 years earlier..."

At his top Pickett definitely would be close.

Very rarely lost one on one's and provided rebound.

It's a shame I missed Dench.

Seems a special player.
Probably had more bounces down the MCG wing during a GF than whatshisname Matera

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shannon Watt, John Baird, Matt Riggio getting no love at all.

Shannon Watt, John Baird, Matt Riggio getting no love at all.

I know taking the piss but I didn't think Watt was that bad.

Constantly under pressure with our game plan and he held up ok at times.

The Crazy Cat Leigh Colbert, D.Teague and Ross Smith. Pikey was pretty fearsome, Daniel Pratt too.

I might be wrong but I think Drew could have been an excellent key defender also.

Whenever moved back due to necessity seemed very comfortable.

The Crazy Cat Leigh Colbert, D.Teague and Ross Smith. Pikey was pretty fearsome, Daniel Pratt too.

Yep I'm a Ross Smith fan as per other threads.

Maybe I overrate him but memories suggest very solid, dependable defender that could play tall or small (like Firrito at his best)

Scotty T best I’ve personally seen. Taz not really far behind either. North players don’t get accolades as a rule, but Tazza goes about with even fewer than Scotty did

Shame alot you guys did not see Dench. You really missed something.
If you are our vintage (sorry for lumping you in Hoj!!) David Dench by the length of the Flemington strait. And I am in no way being disrespectful to Mighty Mick, Ross Glendinning, Scotty T, etc. Dench's style and skill would stand up in any era, especially the rubbish served up recently. Hard, genuinely tough, fit, athletic, good kick, attacking mindset, footy wise...name it, he had it. However, if you had not had the opportunity to see him in full flight, I can see why you would focus elsewhere. I just have a longer time frame for comparison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back