Opinion Our best defenders?

Remove this Banner Ad

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

I guess Malceski's golden handshake coaching gig with GC has expired.

Not sure how good his coaching ability is but I definitely rate his mental fortitude and overall contribution as a player.

Thinking back, how good was our backline in their prime? Malceski, Shaw, Mattner, Nick Smith, and the two pillars Teddy and Grundy. What an elite unit!

I guess Malceski's golden handshake coaching gig with GC has expired.

Not sure how good his coaching ability is but I definitely rate his mental fortitude and overall contribution as a player.

Thinking back, how good was our backline in their prime? Malceski, Shaw, Mattner, Nick Smith, and the two pillars Teddy and Grundy. What an elite unit!

Mattner, Shaw and Kennelly was a huge strength of ours back in the day. Oppositions went to great pains to try and stop them as all three were so damaging.

The century isn't even a quarter over yet ffs.
Agree, they should hold off writing that article for 70 years and get onto reporting the important things right now.
I'm going with they had to set the bar somewhere, and we've been blessed with some truly amazing players in defence.
Personally I'm ecstatic all 3 of my favourites Teddy, Smooch, Bolton made it into the list. All well deserved.

I say this with respect for all those champions and with the rider that some of them were my favourite players. But for versatility I'm starting to think Rampe belongs at the top of the Swans 21st century defender list. He can match up on players of any size or type, has breakaway speed and the confidence and skill to shimmy and dummy his way out of heavy traffic. Rarely beaten or caught holding the ball, also has a great kick. I'm sure plenty will disagree with me, but given the choice of selecting one of them at the beginning of their career, I'd pick him. Love Ted, but his career was nearly over at one stage. And Rampe has spent a good part of his career without the reliable players around him the others did. And none of them match that pole climbing ability.

I say this with respect for all those champions and with the rider that some of them were my favourite players. But for versatility I'm starting to think Rampe belongs at the top of the Swans 21st century defender list. He can match up on players of any size or type, has breakaway speed and the confidence and skill to shimmy and dummy his way out of heavy traffic. Rarely beaten or caught holding the ball, also has a great kick. I'm sure plenty will disagree with me, but given the choice of selecting one of them at the beginning of their career, I'd pick him. Love Ted, but his career was nearly over at one stage. And Rampe has spent a good part of his career without the reliable players around him the others did. And none of them match that pole climbing ability.

I'm not going to disagree. Rampe is the best defender we've had over the last 20 years imo. And personally, I'd have Craig Bolton second ahead of Grundy, Richards, Leo and Smith.

Bolton was a criminally underrated, excellent player - very sad that his career was cut short before the 2011 season when he was only 30. He was AA in 2009 and still excellent, showing no signs of deterioration in skill/nous. He was basically Rampe before Rampe was Rampe. Undersized but exceptionally strong, athletic, fit and solid disposal as well as being a great leader.

Last edited:
I'm not going to disagree. Rampe is the best defender we've had over the last 20 years imo. And personally, I'd have Craig Bolton second ahead of Grundy, Richards, Leo and Smith.

Bolton was a criminally underrated, excellent player - very sad that his career was cut short before the 2011 season when he was only 30. He was AA in 2009 and still excellent, showing no signs of deterioration in skill/nous. He was basically Rampe before Rampe was Rampe. Undersized but exceptionally strong, athletic, fit and solid disposal as well as being a great leader.

Nick Riewoldt stated in his autobiography that Craig Bolton was the hardest matchup he ever had in football, think that should say enough.

Personally for myself.

1. Rampe
2. Bolton
3. Grundy
4. Richards
5. Smith
6. Barry

We really have been blessed in defence.

Only one of them won a Skilton. Might've had a second if he did't get injured this year.

During the 2000's and early 2010's it's hard to judge by our Skilton medal results.

A lot of the time it went to players who exceeded the "coaches" expectations rather than who was probably our best player.

I.e still find it crazy Goodes only won 3 of them.

I'm going with they had to set the bar somewhere, and we've been blessed with some truly amazing players in defence.
Personally I'm ecstatic all 3 of my favourites Teddy, Smooch, Bolton made it into the list. All well deserved.

Ted probably has as much claim as any in my view as one of a number of very talented, durable and dedicated defenders. Throughout the 21st century we've always had such a strong back 6 that it seems unfair to pick out any individual.

I can't recall a time in the last 25 years when I've felt daunted by our opposition's firepower. Whether it was Ted & Grundy, Bolton, Smith, Mattner, Shaw, Kennelly, Rampe, Mills, Lloyd, Malceski or Barry we've always had the answer. Most have been remarkably durable and even when we've had to slot someone in to play a role they invariably succeeded through the support of a well drilled back 6. Some players only went back for a few games but they seemed to stand taller in defence. That we've managed to maintain such a tight defensive unit through successive generations of our back 6 is a credit to our coaching staff and players.

In our last wooden spoon year of 1994 we ranked last for fewest average points conceded. Since then we've played in a GF each and every year that we've reached top 1 or 2 for fewest goals conceded. That stat holds true almost without exception for every other GF side, proof that defence wins games. In 2019 and 2020 we ranked 9th and 7th last respectively for fewest goals conceded. We were also 7th last in 2011 before rebounding, so let's hope we've reached a bottom and history repeats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Riewoldt stated in his autobiography that Craig Bolton was the hardest matchup he ever had in football, think that should say enough.

Personally for myself.

1. Rampe - Rookie playing bushleague overlooked by every side twice.
2. Bolton - Pre season draft
3. Grundy - 42 rookie draft
4. Richards - Traded pick 19
5. Smith - Rookie draft pick 15
6. Barry - Some weird Zone selection in 1994

We really have been blessed in defence.

Pretty hand pick ups.

Wrong thread but Leaping Leo for me , should have won a Smith , followed by B2 and Ramps

His run out defence was best no one ever knew where he was going norm ending back where he started after 3-4 bounces and as many broken tackles and opening up so much space after drawing half dozen player to ball for sling shot goals or get caught and concede but was always exciting.

His run out defence was best no one ever knew where he was going norm ending back where he started after 3-4 bounces and as many broken tackles and opening up so much space after drawing half dozen player to ball for sling shot goals or get caught and concede but was always exciting.
Leo has my vote for the most heart-in-mouth moments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back