Our best quarter of football... ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

sutcliffe's hotel

Premium Platinum
Oct 30, 2005
Brisbanistan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wish we had a snap of the scoreboard from Victoria Park from that Adrian McAdam game in 93. I'll never forget standing in the outer for that one.
The nature of the win, the disgraceful racist abuse by the Scum ferals and their destruction of assorted picket fences stumbling away from the ground.

Just a glorious day at the footy for us ardent shinboners.

I don't recall the first quarter, but the game itself was awesome after a decade of not beating them.

Final score: North Melbourne 25.23 (173) d Hawthorn 6.10 (46)

Demons were exorcised that Friday night.
We scored 40+ points in each quarter of that game. We also had the same number of scoring shots in the first quarter, for a return of 6.8.

In context, I rate the first and third quarters (held them to 3 behinds) of that game higher than Saturday as it was against a team that had bullied us for almost a decade and we made them look like a bunch of timid school boys that night.

I walked out of the ground after that game knowing that we had a premiership calibre list.

sutcliffe's hotel

Premium Platinum
Oct 30, 2005
Brisbanistan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm having trouble rating it cos I'm still in disbelief.

But I'd still go with the 40 point turnaround last quarter against Sydney at the SCG cos (a) we'd been so s**t all game, (b) we came from absolutely nowhere to build to fever pitch as the clock went down, (c) the Sydney knitting brigade were getting chirpy and we shut them right up, (d) it was Archer's 250th (?), and (e) I was there

We were small in number but loud in voice that final quarter. Roared ourselves silly for the magnificent comeback & the great Arch.

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's the best first quarter I've seen, but I still think the fourth against Essendon in 1993 was the best quarter I've ever seen.
Bingo! Got to it before me.

Fruity kicked a goal after the 3/4 time siren to bring us within 10 points. We then piled on 8.8 to 1.2 against the eventual premiers. Absolutely smashed them.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
18402908_10154792256771843_7999658082848709536_n.jpg

Likewise. Enjoyed the way the quarter started, but when we kicked our 6th goal to their nil score I was just loving it. And it just got better!
I was getting a bit nervous in the final minutes of the quarter worrying the Crows might make it up their end and sully their lovely looking score.

This game reminded me of our Round 7 meeting against the Crows in 1999 when we went bezerk and kicked 10 first quarter goals.
We must have been upset about something, not sure what? o_O

Dunno about our best quarter but my favorite quarter of footy was the last against Port Adelaide a few weeks after that game. R 10 1999, we kicked 7 3 in the last to come back and win the game.

The lead changed about 150 times in the last quarter too.

The Adelaide game that year was good too. And the Hawks game in 94. They stand out. Saturday was right up there tho. Couldn't say which was the best of them.

I think the wind was a big factor in the score, it was a great toss to win.
At the ground the wind wasn't that noticeable. There was a bit at half time when the change came through with a bit of rain otherwise not that much wind.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

At the ground the wind wasn't that noticeable. There was a bit at half time when the change came through with a bit of rain otherwise not that much wind.

There were players kicking 55-60m goals who are not really big kicks, the experts in the box said it was a 3-4 goal wind in the first half but died down after that.

There were players kicking 55-60m goals who are not really big kicks, the experts in the box said it was a 3-4 goal wind in the first half but died down after that.
Just giving my observations from what I saw. There may have been a couple of goals breeze maximum. The best way to tell the wind at blundstone is how much the trees behind the hill are blowing.

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
OK, one of my favourite quarters was 93 against the Scum at the G. After being 10 down at 3/4 time, Carey went berserk and marked everything with about 3 on him in a 8.8 to 1.2 last quarter romp to a 38 point win. Some Essendon supporter near me spent most of the night going on about McAdam being absolutely killed by his opponent and he kicked 6.

1990 Rd2 v Richmond at the G. North opened the game with a 13.3 to 2.1 blitz over the Tigers. Longmire kicked 12.5 and I am pretty sure the Horse was at full back in Rd 1.

Went to the G against the Swans in 91. North conceded 19.6 to half time and were 30 points down in spite of us having 25 shots ourselves - in a half !!!
North kicked 8.8 to 0.0 in the last and somehow managed to win by 9 goals after being down by 5 goals at half time.

1993 v Swans at PP. Three 10+ goal quarters in the one game!! 11.5 to 1.3 in the first quarter. 10.3 to 4.3 in the 3rd and 10.9 to 4.1 in the last. McAdam kicked 10.6 and Longmire 9.4. Pity we sprayed a few of the 19 shots in the last as the all time record was in real threat.

Last edited:
Just giving my observations from what I saw. There may have been a couple of goals breeze maximum. The best way to tell the wind at blundstone is how much the trees behind the hill are blowing.

Wins is always kind of tricky, it is not often that it is constant, tends to be a bit blustery and changes direction somewhat, at times it looked more cross-ground breeze than end to end, both teams had a lot of problems keeping the ball in bounds in one side of the ground.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
schimma.jpg

"THE REQUIRED EFFORT"

The 1985 elimination final when we stormed home with 8 goals in the last quarter.

The last of the great mans 29 finals.

This photo will still be shown in 500 years time to young kids coming in to our club.

He. Never. Gave. Up.

Not once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr. Blonde

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
schimma.jpg

"THE REQUIRED EFFORT"

The 1985 elimination final when we stormed home with 8 goals in the last quarter.

The last of the great mans 29 finals.

This photo will still be shown in 500 years time to young kids coming in to our club.

He. Never. Gave. Up.

Not once.

This was the one I was thinking. Amazing quarter, in a final, coming from behind.

The last quarter against the stinky old swans up at the even stinkier SCG a few years ago now, when we won after being 40 points down, or something. With the great Corey Jones snagging the winner from the near side pocket :-D

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't recall the first quarter, but the game itself was awesome after a decade of not beating them.

Final score: North Melbourne 25.23 (173) d Hawthorn 6.10 (46)

Demons were exorcised that Friday night.

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!

That night, I was with friends from O/S who were watching their first ever (and only ever) AFL match. After the Severn point play that lost us the prior hawks game, I did not hold a lot of hope. But what a win we had. I suspect that the friends from the UK thought I was a complete boofhead by the fact I was still raving as we hit a 15 goal lead, but in my opinion, how many times do you beat Hawthorne by over 20 goals. Win.

And last weekend against the cows. Loved it. Loved it.

That was pretty close with the Port game in 1999 for me. I wasn't at the Port game but I took one of my oldest friends to that final against Carlton, his team. I was pretty salty at half time too.

We haven't really spoken much since then actually.

One of the best I've seen is against Melbourne in 2000 in one of the worst wins I've seen.

Didn't kick a goal in the first (0.5), kicked 2.3 in the 3rd and 1.4 in the last. Ended up winning by a point because we went completely ape s**t in the 2nd and kicked 11.7 and most of it seemed to come in a 10 minute period.

Against Adelaide in 1999 in first quarters from the 2 games we played against them the accumulated score was 18.7.115 to 2.7.19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back