Our best rolling 22

Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Docherty -- Jones -- Plowman
HB: Saad -- Weitering -- Newman

C: Walsh -- Setterfield -- Williamson
R: De Koning / Pittonet -- Cripps -- Williams

HF: Martin -- McKay -- Cuningham
FF: Silvagni -- C.Curnow -- Fisher

Int: Newnes -- SPS -- Gibbons -- Kemp / Fogarty / Murphy (last year) / E.Curnow (possibly last year) / Dow / LOB / Kennedy / Philp / Casboult / Betts (last year) / Cottrell

Too young / unseen / injury plagued to judge - Honey, Macreadie, Ramsay, Stocker, Phillips, Marchbank

Players I personally don't rate and shouldn't be selected unless things turn drastically around or we struggle to field a team due to injuries: McGovern, Polson, Moore, Owies

Plowman Weitering Doc
Kemp Jones Saad

Walsh Cripps Newnes
TDK Williams Setterfield

Martin Levi SPS
Fisher McKay, Fogarty

Gibbons Murphy Willo Newman

The Rest: Betts, Jack, LOB Dow Cuners, Marchbank, Gov, Honey, Ramsay, Philp, Stocker, Cottrell, Kennedy, Pittonet, Polson, Macreadie

Injured: Charlie

Fit and hungry, Gov should win a spot, but I want to see the hunger first

Murphy will play 300 (it's what the club want), then be passed unless his output remains high

Big year for a number of players, especially Stocker, Dow, LOB, Marchbank, Gov
Nice work, I really like the team.

Big ask for TDK, with only Levi as a chop out.

Leaves us with only 1 tall fwd when 1 rests on bench.

I’m happy to see how a 2 tall fwd set-up works.

B: Plow.....Jones....Doc
HB: Saad....Weibot....Marchy
C: Walsh....Cripps....Newnes
HF: Martin....Cas....SPS
F: Betts....Mckay....Fisher

Foll: TDK....Setterfield....Williams
Inter: Kemp....JSOS....Willo....E Curnow

Plenty of next ups as we all know.

Charlie in for Cas if healthy and big H rests in the ruck.

Edit: I’ll change my mind half a dozen times before bed!

Now that we are probably done for picking up 2021 best 22 players I'm interested in what people's thoughts on our best 22 and list is? I'll have a go at where I reckon it is about.

One thing is for sure, it's really hard to pick best 22 as there are so many potential best 22 players left out.

B: McGovern Weitering Marchbank
HB: Saad Jones Docherty
C: Murphy Cripps Walsh
HF: Gibbons McKay Martin
F: Silvagni Curnow Fisher
OB: DeKoning Setterfield Williams
IC: Williamson Curnow Newnes Betts

I'd like to think it's a side that is tall enough, quick enough, skilled enough and tough enough. Lacks weak links and holes and is more in line with modern premiership sides structurally. IMO structurally it's similar to what Richmond have been fielding. It's a tall athletic and quick backline. Good at intercepting, running and being too strong one on one. Forward line has two gun talls and some good medium/small players. Midfield is balanced with strong contested players and pace. Overall it has skill athleticism and is pretty tough.

Who's in:

Defence

I've picked a defence that's taller and quicker with a lot of skill. We carried weaknesses in our backline even though it has been good but IMO that group don't have much in the way of weakness.

McGovern - Maligned last season but a hugely talented player. I think he needs a defined role, one where it's clear what he has to do. Needs to be a deep focal point as a forward as playing around McKay and Levi isn't something he can do. Or... His brother is an elite attacking tall defender. So why can't he do similar? He played the last game of the season in defence and looked alright. On ability he's twice the player of Plowman and would not get exposed for lack of pace and height that he does. Could also be a player who gets off the chain at times if left to roam and read the game back there like his brother does so often. I feel this could be his spot. He's a strong mark, quick and could play quite tall and probably small as well. The other role he could play is forward pocket as a ruck relief player. He's got so much talent and athleticism, but may not be clever enough to play every role and what role he played in 2020 did not suit him at all. I think we should play him in defence and allow him to work with Weitering Jones and Marchbank. Could be a genius move this.

Weitering - Gun who can take the biggest forwards and beat them. Was good playing full back this year.

Marchbank - Tall but an elite runner who is a strong mark and good reader of the play. Can play higher up the ground. Question is over his ability to defend one on one and his kicking vision but is a big talent and great athlete and a diverse defender.

Saad - Elite attacking half back, opposition will have to watch him and Docherty.

Jones - had a good season at CHB and should continue. His run, kicking and marking are very good.

Docherty - Expect him to get off the chain more with Saad there and cause some problems on the rebound. Should be fitter in 2021.

Williamson - Finally put together a full season. He looks strong and he's an aggressive competitor. He will have guys viewing for his spot though so needs to keep it up. Has a lovely damaging kick on him, aggression and pace.

Midfield

Murphy - He's declined but he is still good and finished the season strongly. Hoping he can fit into our midfield the same way Cotchin does at Richmond. He's not a strong physical player but he's skilled, smart and can find the footy. His run is still good. In his twilight however and hoping he is pressured for a spot.

Cripps - Hope he comes back as strong as ever and focuses on being a strong bull rather than a runner. I want to see him carry some size and muscle and spend time forward rather than running the midfield all day. Model his game on Dustin Martin. Stick to his strengths and be more of an impact player. Get the goal kicking right.

Walsh - Has all the tools to be an elite wingman and he is an elite wingman. Can play in the center and perhaps we use him in there at times but he's a top top player where ever in the midfield he is.

DeKoning - He's a super super talent. I want to see him used more defensively. Sit behind the play, drop back in the backline. A ruckman who is athletic, talented and has key position properties. Use him well and we have an elite player. He's about ready to be our number 1 and ruck most of the game but we shouldn't use him every game. Pittonett to come in once a month suites me. We need to look at how Richmond use their rucks. They sit them behind the play and rotate them in and out of the side. Their second ruck is often not a genuine ruck height player.

Setterfield - Has established himself as a quality inside midfielder. He needs to tidy up his ball handling, his start to games and his strength but he's young and improving.

Williams - He's a quick tough and skilled player our midfield needs. Just watch him go and when he fits in with our other players he will excel.

Curnow - He's a strong competitor and an elite runner. He can sit on a wing, he can tag and he can play inside. He's still best 22 for mine.

Newnes - I like Newnes, nice long kick and he's strong, aggressive and tough. Our developing wingers are a bit small and timid and he came in and gave us some real physicality. He's a bit rough around the edges, could be a bit cleaner below the knees but I love his physicality and he's a good honest footballer.

Forwards

Gibbons - He's a competitor who is good at the stoppages and playing as an extra mid. His kicking is probably not overly damaging and he has quiet games at times though. Still reckon he should be played in the center but you can't really be a part of midfield rotations if you play half forward as it's more of the same running wise. His spot will be under pressure from guys like Cuningham, Honey, Philp and Fogarty.

McKay - He's becoming an elite tall forward. He needs to play deep at times and needs to be more of a focus. Should model himself around Tom Lynch. When he gets a bit bigger look out, he's going to be a weapon. Playing full forward in the last game and being a focal target gee he looked good.

Martin - He's an elite talent. Midfield and forward this guy is tough and skillful.

Silvagni - He's a good player, forget the too short or too slow crap. He's reasonable in the air and good at ground level and plays with hardness, competitiveness and effort. I want to see us take a leaf out of Richmond's book and use him as our relief ruck. He'd have to be better than Grigg...

Curnow - Could be the best tall forward in the comp. I see him playing a Jack Riewoldt role. Plays full forward but swaps it up to play CHF and run the defender off his feet. We will be leaps and bounds better with him in the side.

Fisher - Starting to develop some physicality and that is brining his footy up with him. He's got some elite abilities with his agility, evasiveness and skills.

Betts - Some will have him some won't. I think he starts for us but there should be others pushing for the small forward spot as I mentioned with Gibbon's. Only one thing let him down last year and that was surprising as it was ball handling. I suspect he isn't training much due to his age. His pressure efforts were elite and he still has his wits but he fumbled a lot and that is enough to miss those opportunities he always creates.

Who's out:

Gee these players are a good list of reserves. Could easily replace the ones in my best 22 with some of them. When you have a good list you find good player miss out on some fairly small things, maybe it's not as quick or not as skilled or not as strong or as tough as those ahead of them. Stuff like that.

Dow - If he gets fit and changes his attitude on the field he could be a good player. I want to see his competitiveness improve. Stronger, harder, more relentless. I want to see second efforts and his chasing improve. His pressure efforts are about 1/3 pace, chase harder, that's a must in the modern game. Get fit and compete and he could be a talent. I'm not so much worried about the kicking as I am about his competitiveness and desire. Dow will be ready to either make it or not next year. He needs to play reserves, dominate and demonstrate improved desire to chase and hunt the man a bit more.

O'Brien - I want to see him remoulded as a forward. He lacks the physicality and size for the midfield. That might change if he matures who knows. I just think with his tank he could be a good two way runner and repeat effort type up forward and when applying pressure this could be his go. He's skilled and has done some good things up forward from brief opportunities. I reckon this could be his go. As coaches have said his inside game is lacking and it is so perhaps a forward role might be within his skill range.

SPS - Could not fit him into the team. He's skilled and has been best 22 but has been fringe. Hasn't been nearly tough enough and physical enough for a midfield gig. Maybe he matures and that changes, that would be great because he has the skill but his ability to win one on one and his desire to take physical contact has been a weakness and has kept him out of the middle of the ground. Some maturity will change all that. Talent is there but he has to toughen up. We will continue to recruit tough talented players so the pressure is on hm to go to the next level in regards to his physicality.

Kennedy - He's too slow to play with Cripps, Setterfield and Curnow. He's good backup for a few though. Has footy talent but lacks the agility and speed to be playing with other big bodied and slower mids. He'd be ok if he was our main man but he's not a second or third fiddle. He's lacked aggression a bit for a big mid but the last game he found it which I liked. I just feel his role will be as a backup to Cripps, Setterfield and Curnow.

Stocker - Rumours suggest maturity wise he's not there yet. Not sure if it's true but he's a hell of a talent. May be what Diesel mentioned when he suggested something about players needing to become men. Needs to get out there in the middle in the reserves and compete like his life depends on it. Effort and determination. I have high hopes based on pure ability because he has ability in spades and he looks to have aggression and competitiveness. Not sure whether he makes it as a defender or centerman. Hoping to see him make it as a centerman but if he becomes a Docherty type I'm ok with that.

Kemp - I bet he is not left out of our side long. Huge talent and very gifted athlete. Could play any part of the ground. I think the moment he shows glimpses of form and fitness we'll play him. May not have the tank to play midfield but he could play forward or back. Players of that size to have that pace is rare and his skills are there.

Plowman - I like Plowman but he gets exposed sometimes. He's not big enough to be the third tall who drops off and intercepts and gets exposed for height, speed and agility at times. That being said he is a smart player and solid defender. He hasn't had competition for his spot yet as we have not had third tall types in reserve. McGovern back, Marchbank uninjured and all of a sudden we do. He's a good old fashioned defender and a good player but I believe we have better players again. Plowman's capabilities are debated frequently. The way I look at it is he does his job most weeks but he's not elite, he's honest and dependable. While rarely beaten and doesn't make many mistakes no one is considering him for AA. He'd fit into a premiership side but there are better players out there and we may have them on our list. His spot is not a hole but is an area we could improve on.

Macreadie - Huge talent IMO. Injuries for two season have got the better of him. Loved watching him play third tall and intercept and kick with precision. IMO he is the perfect replacement for Jones at CHB. Just needs to come good, get fit and strong and have some consistency.

Pittonett - Perfect backup ruck to rest DeKoning at times. He's a good solid player. Rucks well. Competes at ground level well. Marking is hit and miss but he's ok. Good solid player. He's a great second ruckman, someone who comes in and plays 6 or 7 games per season. IMO he is behind DeKoning but someone we will be happy to see when we rest TDK.

Cuningham - Hard to leave him out of the best 22 but I feel he is a very talented player who is possibly being surpassed because he has a significant weakness or two. For mine he lacks the physicality and competitive edge to compete in the midfield when things get physical as they do against better teams. Talented half forward but doesn't apply much pressure. It's the physical contact side of the game where he is missing. His outside game is fine, needs to add some hardness and pressure acts as a forward. Fitness is questionable, I don't think he's running any defenders off their feet.

Polson - Showed enough as a defender apart from his kicking lets him down. Probably pushed out now.

Ramsay - Was an accumulator in the midfield as a junior and I hope he goes back to that in the reserves. Could develop into a really good midfielder with footy sense, pace and skills. Body needs time to develop as an inside mid.

Philp - Rate him a lot. Want to see him play more in the center and midfield. Just seemed to want to play with effort. Has a nice build, skills are good and he's quick. Expect his endurance to improve and his footy to follow. I have high hopes for him and want to see him thrown into the thick of things a bit.

Honey - Needs time, hell of an athlete with flair. When his pressure acts and hardness are going well in the VFL he should come in to replace Betts. Could be something special. Finishing may need a tidy up. Needs to train and train his skills hard.

Phillips - Let's see what he becomes, seems to have talent.

Casboult - Been best 22 for a while but I want to go the Richmond way. That is not playing three talls as one is always wasted. Use a smaller midsized player as reserve ruck. Levi has his moments but he makes us slower and we need to get up to scratch with our speed and pressure. Terrific backup for our rucks and Key Position Players at both ends. I think a big and slow player just does not fit with two other talls in modern footy. Will play games but if everyone's fit and in form he doesn't for mine.

Owies - Talented but he doesn't really play like a small forward. Kicks his goals from marks more so than ground level play. That being said he has come a LONG way in a short period and needs to be played more often. I want to see him played as a high half forward a bit.

Cottrell - Really liked his game in some ways and not others. Needs to add size and improve his kicking as he doesn't hit many targets. His running, physicality and competitiveness are all good. Just his skills are a bit rough. If he adds some size and tidies up his skills he could be a pretty handy player.

Moore - Didn't impress as a forward at all. Are we considering giving him a season as a midfielder? Did alright as a midfielder in the scratch matches. He's a good athlete.

Newman - one who is unlucky not the be in the best 22 as well. Should put pressure on someone like Williamson. I love his ball winning ability and his physicality and competitiveness. He's a good solid genuine footballer.
Gee Bat Man, there’s some major effort in that post. I enjoyed reading it and you’ve helped me reaffirm my own views regarding the same. Thanks a-lot Batman. :thumbsu:

Plow - Jones - Doc
Saad - Weiters - Williamson

Williams - Cripps - Walsh
TKD - Setters - Ed

Martin - McKay - Fish
Betts - Levi - Gov

SPS - Murphy - Cunners - Newnes

Emg- JSOS - Fogerty - Dow - Kennedy

Geez this best 22 caper is tough now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plowman Weitering Doc
Kemp Jones Saad

Walsh Cripps Newnes
TDK Williams Setterfield

Martin Levi SPS
Fisher McKay, Fogarty

Gibbons Murphy Willo Newman

The Rest: Betts, Jack, LOB Dow Cuners, Marchbank, Gov, Honey, Ramsay, Philp, Stocker, Cottrell, Kennedy, Pittonet, Polson, Macreadie

Injured: Charlie

Fit and hungry, Gov should win a spot, but I want to see the hunger first

Murphy will play 300 (it's what the club want), then be passed unless his output remains high

Big year for a number of players, especially Stocker, Dow, LOB, Marchbank, Gov
We differ by a few but, I like it!

B: Caleb Marchbank, Liam Jones, Lachie Plowman
HB: Sam Docherty, Jacob Weitering, Adam Saad
C: Sam Walsh, Patrick Cripps, Jack Martin
HF: Zac Fisher, Levi Casboult, David Cuningham
F: Mitch McGovern, Harry McKay, Eddie Betts
Foll: Tom De Koning, Will Setterfield,
Zac Williams
I/C: Ed Curnow, Marc Murphy, Michael Gibbons, Tom Williamson
EMG: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Lachlan Fogarty, Nic Newman, Jack Newnes

Charlie Curnow (injured)

Reserves will be good to watch
- Kemp, Dow, Stocker, O’Brien et al.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many players now in/hitting their prime. Finals the expectation and we should be a feature for some time to come.

If it all clicks no reason we can't give top 4 and/or finals a real shot next year.

My Best 22 (Minus Charlie at this stage)

FB: Plowman - Jones - Docherty
HB: Saad - Weitering - Williamson
C: Samo - Walsh - Williams
RR: De Koning - Cripps - Setterfield
HF: Gibbons - Casboult - Martin
FF : Fisher - McKay - McGovern
INT: Newman - Ed - JSOS - Marchbank

Unlucky - Newnes, Betts?, Murphy?, Dow, Cunningham, Stocker, Kennedy, Obrien, Kemp/Fogarty (yet to see).

Nice to have some depth.

Plowman Jones SPS
Doc Weitering Saad
Walsh Setterfield Newnes
TDK Cripps Williams
Martin Casboult Gibbons
Fisher McKay McGovern

Ed Murph Williamson Marchbank

Betts Newman Pittonet Jack

Hard to see Betts missing games but I'd favour Fisher and Gibbons personally. Expect form, match ups and injuries will play a bigger part than this year from week to week. The likes of Ed, Murph and Betts should definitely be rested at various stages imo.

Now that we are probably done for picking up 2021 best 22 players I'm interested in what people's thoughts on our best 22 and list is? I'll have a go at where I reckon it is about.

One thing is for sure, it's really hard to pick best 22 as there are so many potential best 22 players left out.

B: McGovern Weitering Marchbank
HB: Saad Jones Docherty
C: Murphy Cripps Walsh
HF: Gibbons McKay Martin
F: Silvagni Curnow Fisher
OB: DeKoning Setterfield Williams
IC: Williamson Curnow Newnes Betts

I'd like to think it's a side that is tall enough, quick enough, skilled enough and tough enough. Lacks weak links and holes and is more in line with modern premiership sides structurally. IMO structurally it's similar to what Richmond have been fielding. It's a tall athletic and quick backline. Good at intercepting, running and being too strong one on one. Forward line has two gun talls and some good medium/small players. Midfield is balanced with strong contested players and pace. Overall it has skill athleticism and is pretty tough.

Who's in:

Defence

I've picked a defence that's taller and quicker with a lot of skill. We carried weaknesses in our backline even though it has been good but IMO that group don't have much in the way of weakness.

McGovern - Maligned last season but a hugely talented player. I think he needs a defined role, one where it's clear what he has to do. Needs to be a deep focal point as a forward as playing around McKay and Levi isn't something he can do. Or... His brother is an elite attacking tall defender. So why can't he do similar? He played the last game of the season in defence and looked alright. On ability he's twice the player of Plowman and would not get exposed for lack of pace and height that he does. Could also be a player who gets off the chain at times if left to roam and read the game back there like his brother does so often. I feel this could be his spot. He's a strong mark, quick and could play quite tall and probably small as well. The other role he could play is forward pocket as a ruck relief player. He's got so much talent and athleticism, but may not be clever enough to play every role and what role he played in 2020 did not suit him at all. I think we should play him in defence and allow him to work with Weitering Jones and Marchbank. Could be a genius move this.

Weitering - Gun who can take the biggest forwards and beat them. Was good playing full back this year.

Marchbank - Tall but an elite runner who is a strong mark and good reader of the play. Can play higher up the ground. Question is over his ability to defend one on one and his kicking vision but is a big talent and great athlete and a diverse defender.

Saad - Elite attacking half back, opposition will have to watch him and Docherty.

Jones - had a good season at CHB and should continue. His run, kicking and marking are very good.

Docherty - Expect him to get off the chain more with Saad there and cause some problems on the rebound. Should be fitter in 2021.

Williamson - Finally put together a full season. He looks strong and he's an aggressive competitor. He will have guys viewing for his spot though so needs to keep it up. Has a lovely damaging kick on him, aggression and pace.

Midfield

Murphy - He's declined but he is still good and finished the season strongly. Hoping he can fit into our midfield the same way Cotchin does at Richmond. He's not a strong physical player but he's skilled, smart and can find the footy. His run is still good. In his twilight however and hoping he is pressured for a spot.

Cripps - Hope he comes back as strong as ever and focuses on being a strong bull rather than a runner. I want to see him carry some size and muscle and spend time forward rather than running the midfield all day. Model his game on Dustin Martin. Stick to his strengths and be more of an impact player. Get the goal kicking right.

Walsh - Has all the tools to be an elite wingman and he is an elite wingman. Can play in the center and perhaps we use him in there at times but he's a top top player where ever in the midfield he is.

DeKoning - He's a super super talent. I want to see him used more defensively. Sit behind the play, drop back in the backline. A ruckman who is athletic, talented and has key position properties. Use him well and we have an elite player. He's about ready to be our number 1 and ruck most of the game but we shouldn't use him every game. Pittonett to come in once a month suites me. We need to look at how Richmond use their rucks. They sit them behind the play and rotate them in and out of the side. Their second ruck is often not a genuine ruck height player.

Setterfield - Has established himself as a quality inside midfielder. He needs to tidy up his ball handling, his start to games and his strength but he's young and improving.

Williams - He's a quick tough and skilled player our midfield needs. Just watch him go and when he fits in with our other players he will excel.

Curnow - He's a strong competitor and an elite runner. He can sit on a wing, he can tag and he can play inside. He's still best 22 for mine.

Newnes - I like Newnes, nice long kick and he's strong, aggressive and tough. Our developing wingers are a bit small and timid and he came in and gave us some real physicality. He's a bit rough around the edges, could be a bit cleaner below the knees but I love his physicality and he's a good honest footballer.

Forwards

Gibbons - He's a competitor who is good at the stoppages and playing as an extra mid. His kicking is probably not overly damaging and he has quiet games at times though. Still reckon he should be played in the center but you can't really be a part of midfield rotations if you play half forward as it's more of the same running wise. His spot will be under pressure from guys like Cuningham, Honey, Philp and Fogarty.

McKay - He's becoming an elite tall forward. He needs to play deep at times and needs to be more of a focus. Should model himself around Tom Lynch. When he gets a bit bigger look out, he's going to be a weapon. Playing full forward in the last game and being a focal target gee he looked good.

Martin - He's an elite talent. Midfield and forward this guy is tough and skillful.

Silvagni - He's a good player, forget the too short or too slow crap. He's reasonable in the air and good at ground level and plays with hardness, competitiveness and effort. I want to see us take a leaf out of Richmond's book and use him as our relief ruck. He'd have to be better than Grigg...

Curnow - Could be the best tall forward in the comp. I see him playing a Jack Riewoldt role. Plays full forward but swaps it up to play CHF and run the defender off his feet. We will be leaps and bounds better with him in the side.

Fisher - Starting to develop some physicality and that is brining his footy up with him. He's got some elite abilities with his agility, evasiveness and skills.

Betts - Some will have him some won't. I think he starts for us but there should be others pushing for the small forward spot as I mentioned with Gibbon's. Only one thing let him down last year and that was surprising as it was ball handling. I suspect he isn't training much due to his age. His pressure efforts were elite and he still has his wits but he fumbled a lot and that is enough to miss those opportunities he always creates.

Who's out:

Gee these players are a good list of reserves. Could easily replace the ones in my best 22 with some of them. When you have a good list you find good player miss out on some fairly small things, maybe it's not as quick or not as skilled or not as strong or as tough as those ahead of them. Stuff like that.

Dow - If he gets fit and changes his attitude on the field he could be a good player. I want to see his competitiveness improve. Stronger, harder, more relentless. I want to see second efforts and his chasing improve. His pressure efforts are about 1/3 pace, chase harder, that's a must in the modern game. Get fit and compete and he could be a talent. I'm not so much worried about the kicking as I am about his competitiveness and desire. Dow will be ready to either make it or not next year. He needs to play reserves, dominate and demonstrate improved desire to chase and hunt the man a bit more.

O'Brien - I want to see him remoulded as a forward. He lacks the physicality and size for the midfield. That might change if he matures who knows. I just think with his tank he could be a good two way runner and repeat effort type up forward and when applying pressure this could be his go. He's skilled and has done some good things up forward from brief opportunities. I reckon this could be his go. As coaches have said his inside game is lacking and it is so perhaps a forward role might be within his skill range.

SPS - Could not fit him into the team. He's skilled and has been best 22 but has been fringe. Hasn't been nearly tough enough and physical enough for a midfield gig. Maybe he matures and that changes, that would be great because he has the skill but his ability to win one on one and his desire to take physical contact has been a weakness and has kept him out of the middle of the ground. Some maturity will change all that. Talent is there but he has to toughen up. We will continue to recruit tough talented players so the pressure is on hm to go to the next level in regards to his physicality.

Kennedy - He's too slow to play with Cripps, Setterfield and Curnow. He's good backup for a few though. Has footy talent but lacks the agility and speed to be playing with other big bodied and slower mids. He'd be ok if he was our main man but he's not a second or third fiddle. He's lacked aggression a bit for a big mid but the last game he found it which I liked. I just feel his role will be as a backup to Cripps, Setterfield and Curnow.

Stocker - Rumours suggest maturity wise he's not there yet. Not sure if it's true but he's a hell of a talent. May be what Diesel mentioned when he suggested something about players needing to become men. Needs to get out there in the middle in the reserves and compete like his life depends on it. Effort and determination. I have high hopes based on pure ability because he has ability in spades and he looks to have aggression and competitiveness. Not sure whether he makes it as a defender or centerman. Hoping to see him make it as a centerman but if he becomes a Docherty type I'm ok with that.

Kemp - I bet he is not left out of our side long. Huge talent and very gifted athlete. Could play any part of the ground. I think the moment he shows glimpses of form and fitness we'll play him. May not have the tank to play midfield but he could play forward or back. Players of that size to have that pace is rare and his skills are there.

Plowman - I like Plowman but he gets exposed sometimes. He's not big enough to be the third tall who drops off and intercepts and gets exposed for height, speed and agility at times. That being said he is a smart player and solid defender. He hasn't had competition for his spot yet as we have not had third tall types in reserve. McGovern back, Marchbank uninjured and all of a sudden we do. He's a good old fashioned defender and a good player but I believe we have better players again. Plowman's capabilities are debated frequently. The way I look at it is he does his job most weeks but he's not elite, he's honest and dependable. While rarely beaten and doesn't make many mistakes no one is considering him for AA. He'd fit into a premiership side but there are better players out there and we may have them on our list. His spot is not a hole but is an area we could improve on.

Macreadie - Huge talent IMO. Injuries for two season have got the better of him. Loved watching him play third tall and intercept and kick with precision. IMO he is the perfect replacement for Jones at CHB. Just needs to come good, get fit and strong and have some consistency.

Pittonett - Perfect backup ruck to rest DeKoning at times. He's a good solid player. Rucks well. Competes at ground level well. Marking is hit and miss but he's ok. Good solid player. He's a great second ruckman, someone who comes in and plays 6 or 7 games per season. IMO he is behind DeKoning but someone we will be happy to see when we rest TDK.

Cuningham - Hard to leave him out of the best 22 but I feel he is a very talented player who is possibly being surpassed because he has a significant weakness or two. For mine he lacks the physicality and competitive edge to compete in the midfield when things get physical as they do against better teams. Talented half forward but doesn't apply much pressure. It's the physical contact side of the game where he is missing. His outside game is fine, needs to add some hardness and pressure acts as a forward. Fitness is questionable, I don't think he's running any defenders off their feet.

Polson - Showed enough as a defender apart from his kicking lets him down. Probably pushed out now.

Ramsay - Was an accumulator in the midfield as a junior and I hope he goes back to that in the reserves. Could develop into a really good midfielder with footy sense, pace and skills. Body needs time to develop as an inside mid.

Philp - Rate him a lot. Want to see him play more in the center and midfield. Just seemed to want to play with effort. Has a nice build, skills are good and he's quick. Expect his endurance to improve and his footy to follow. I have high hopes for him and want to see him thrown into the thick of things a bit.

Honey - Needs time, hell of an athlete with flair. When his pressure acts and hardness are going well in the VFL he should come in to replace Betts. Could be something special. Finishing may need a tidy up. Needs to train and train his skills hard.

Phillips - Let's see what he becomes, seems to have talent.

Casboult - Been best 22 for a while but I want to go the Richmond way. That is not playing three talls as one is always wasted. Use a smaller midsized player as reserve ruck. Levi has his moments but he makes us slower and we need to get up to scratch with our speed and pressure. Terrific backup for our rucks and Key Position Players at both ends. I think a big and slow player just does not fit with two other talls in modern footy. Will play games but if everyone's fit and in form he doesn't for mine.

Owies - Talented but he doesn't really play like a small forward. Kicks his goals from marks more so than ground level play. That being said he has come a LONG way in a short period and needs to be played more often. I want to see him played as a high half forward a bit.

Cottrell - Really liked his game in some ways and not others. Needs to add size and improve his kicking as he doesn't hit many targets. His running, physicality and competitiveness are all good. Just his skills are a bit rough. If he adds some size and tidies up his skills he could be a pretty handy player.

Moore - Didn't impress as a forward at all. Are we considering giving him a season as a midfielder? Did alright as a midfielder in the scratch matches. He's a good athlete.

Newman - one who is unlucky not the be in the best 22 as well. Should put pressure on someone like Williamson. I love his ball winning ability and his physicality and competitiveness. He's a good solid genuine footballer.
No need for McGovern in defence if Marchbank plays, not in the same league as a third tall/intercept player.

Only way McGovern plays ahead of Plowman in defence is if Plowman is injured. Reckon you are seriously underestimating the flexibility and coverage Plowman provides for our defence. Would be the second defender pencilled in each week after Weitering.

No need for McGovern in defence if Marchbank plays, not in the same league as a third tall/intercept player.

Only way McGovern plays ahead of Plowman in defence is if Plowman is injured. Reckon you are seriously underestimating the flexibility and coverage Plowman provides for our defence. Would be the second defender pencilled in each week after Weitering.

I like Plowman he's versatile as a shutdown defender and that's good. He's not leaking goals which is good.

But... he's never had competition for his spot and as a third tall he's good but he is not elite and that's why we shouldn't have the attitude that his spot is unmovable.

There are things he's not doing that the elite blokes in this role do offensively. One's the ability to push up the ground and win the footy on the attack. The other is drop off his man and intercept the ball.

I see Marchbank and McGovern being able to do these things. Both are significantly better in the air and better runners.

The question remains however, are they as good when it comes to defending an opponent? That we really don't know.

On potential, on athletic traits and football skills both go past Plowman easily but are they as good at defending an opponent?

I think there is a lot to gain here by discovering this.

Long story short Plowman is a strength for our backing defensively but offensively a weakness and this is an area that some have identified with our defence, lack of quick rebound.

Richmond's defence is a good model. Ashbury, Grimes, Balta, Vlastuin are all tall and all defend well but offensively and athletically are better than Plowman. I could see Weitering, Jones, Marchbank and McGovern being a similar group.

FB: Newman Jones Plowman
HB: Saad Weitering Docherty
C: Newnes Cripps SPS
HF: Fisher C.Curnow Martin
FF: Betts Mckay Mcgovern
R: TDK Walsh Williams
IC: E.Curnow Setterfield Murphy Williamson

Very hard to pick the 22 finally have some amazing depth

Plow - Jones - Doc
Saad - Weiters - Williamson

Williams - Cripps - Walsh
TKD - Setters - Ed

Martin - McKay - Fish
Betts - Levi - Gov

SPS - Murphy - Cunners - Newnes

Emg- JSOS - Fogerty - Dow - Kennedy

Geez this best 22 caper is tough now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is pretty much spot on.
Would hope Fog or another player replaces betts by end of year. Would think Gibbons comes into the emg mix too.
Would hope Dow comes in for Murphy eventually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back