Foll: De Koning, Cripps, Walsh

Int: Setterfield, Silvagni, Curnow, Murphy

B: Philp, Macreadie, Newman
HB: Stocker, Marchbank, Kemp
C: O'Brien, Kennedy, Cottrell
HF: Cuningham, McGovern, Honey
F: Owies, Casboult, Phillips

Foll: Pittonet, Fogarty, Dow

I think that backline is pretty settled. SPS probably ends up being the 7th defender rotating through, though I'd prefer him to stay in the forward half.

The following start in the seniors, but I'd like to see someone genuinely overtake them:
Wing: Newnes (LOB, Cottrell)
HFF: Gibbons (Fogarty, Honey)
Forward pocket: Betts (Honey, Owies)
Inside mid: Curnow (Stocker, Dow)
Mid/fwd rotation: Murphy (Cuningham, Fogarty)

No idea where Kemp fits, but would love to see him take the field.

Want to see JSOS make statement in round 1. Plenty of pressure, set up a few goals, kick one late and get mobbed by his teammates. Put the speculation to bed.

B: Plowman---------------Jones---------------Docherty

H: Williams--------------Weitering-------------Saad

C: Dow-------------------Cripps----------------O'Brien

H: Newnes--------------McGovern-------------Martin

F: Betts------------------McKay-----------------SPS

Foll: De Koning, Setterfield, Walsh

Bench: Pittonet, Marchbank, Stocker, Cuningham

No injuries.

FB: Plowman...Weitering...Newman
HB: Saad...Jones...Docherty
C: Newnes...E.Curnow...Walsh
HF: Cunningham...C.Curnow...Fisher
FF: Martin...Mckay...JSOS
Foll: TDK...Cripps...Setterfield
Interchange: Murphy...SPS...Pittonet...Williamson

Emergency: Casboult, Betts, Gibbons
Unlucky to miss: Kennedy, Marchbank.

Marchbank needs to prove himself. Lob, Dow And McGovern need to work their butts off.

Rest Murph, Ed Curnow and Betts on interstate trips...
Charlie still out injured.

An interstate game side could look like...

FB: N Newman, L Jones, L Plowman
HB: A Saad, J Weitering, S Docherty
C: J Newnes, S. Walsh, SPS
R: TDK, P Cripps, W Setterfield
HF: J Martin, J Silvagni, Z Fisher
FF: M McGovern, H Mackay, L Casboult
IC: C Marchbank, B Kemp, Z Williams, D Cunningham

Emerg; Kennedy, Williamson, Dow, Stocker, Philp, Fogarty, Gibbons, O'Brian, Pittonet....

Note; we are a bit short on key position depth, I hope this doesn't come back to bite us.

Only early doors, but..the D word!

B: Plowman, Jones, Docherty
HB: Saad, Weitering, Newman
C: Petrevski Seton, Williams, Williamson
HF: Martin, Curnow, Fisher
F: Betts, McKay, Silvagni

Foll: De Koning, Cripps, Walsh

Int: Setterfield, Casboult, Curnow, Murphy

B: Philp, Macreadie, Cottrell
HB: Stocker, Marchbank, Kemp
C: O'Brien, Kennedy, Newnes
HF: Fogarty, McGovern, Cuningham
F: Owies, Phillips, Honey

Foll: Pittonet, Gibbons, Dow
poty

I like Plowman he's versatile as a shutdown defender and that's good. He's not leaking goals which is good.

But... he's never had competition for his spot and as a third tall he's good but he is not elite and that's why we shouldn't have the attitude that his spot is unmovable.

There are things he's not doing that the elite blokes in this role do offensively. One's the ability to push up the ground and win the footy on the attack. The other is drop off his man and intercept the ball.

I see Marchbank and McGovern being able to do these things. Both are significantly better in the air and better runners.

The question remains however, are they as good when it comes to defending an opponent? That we really don't know.

On potential, on athletic traits and football skills both go past Plowman easily but are they as good at defending an opponent?

I think there is a lot to gain here by discovering this.

Long story short Plowman is a strength for our backing defensively but offensively a weakness and this is an area that some have identified with our defence, lack of quick rebound.

Richmond's defence is a good model. Ashbury, Grimes, Balta, Vlastuin are all tall and all defend well but offensively and athletically are better than Plowman. I could see Weitering, Jones, Marchbank and McGovern being a similar group.
Would rather they are good at the defence thing first, then build around that. Plowman plays because we don’t have anyone else to take on and beat that really solid mid that is good in the air. He has beaten Dusty, Dangerfield and Bont while playing forward. He then also beats the crafty smalls in Cameron and Papley. Have also seen him matched up on the resting ruckman when they go forward instead of to the bench.

Marchbank is the third tall that peels off to intercept, Plowman is the plumber that fixes all the leaks, wherever they pop up. Check Plowmans stats, covers more ground than some midfielders and his disposal is very accurate when a target presents. Like all defenders he makes some howlers when trying to go for too much and it doesn’t come off. Will take his offensive weaknesses over anyone else’s defensive weaknesses every day of the week.

Would rather they are good at the defence thing first, then build around that. Plowman plays because we don’t have anyone else to take on and beat that really solid mid that is good in the air. He has beaten Dusty, Dangerfield and Bont while playing forward. He then also beats the crafty smalls in Cameron and Papley. Have also seen him matched up on the resting ruckman when they go forward instead of to the bench.

Marchbank is the third tall that peels off to intercept, Plowman is the plumber that fixes all the leaks, wherever they pop up. Check Plowmans stats, covers more ground than some midfielders and his disposal is very accurate when a target presents. Like all defenders he makes some howlers when trying to go for too much and it doesn’t come off. Will take his offensive weaknesses over anyone else’s defensive weaknesses every day of the week.
Definitely agree defence comes first and he has that area covered. However if someone comes along who defends as well and is better offensively, taller, quicker etc. we all know how football works.

Definitely agree defence comes first and he has that area covered. However if someone comes along who defends as well and is better offensively, taller, quicker etc. we all know how football works.
If that happens, happy for him to be replaced.

That new player will be Bruce Doull reincarnated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's getting harder.
Half a dozen going to be unlucky each game.
As it should be. At least our reserves side should have plenty of talent to choose from as well. Need them to be playing well to put pressure on the senior guys.

We will not improve while older guys like Ed, Casboult, Murphy, Betts get games because there are no other viable options. Happy for them to continue if they are the best option, not if they are the only option.

As it should be. At least our reserves side should have plenty of talent to choose from as well. Need them to be playing well to put pressure on the senior guys.

We will not improve while older guys like Ed, Casboult, Murphy, Betts get games because there are no other viable options. Happy for them to continue if they are the best option, not if they are the only option.
It sure beats the days of picking ten and knowing the twelve further selections won't get us far.

B: Plowman, Jones, Marchbank
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Saad
C: Walsh, Cripps, Murphy
HF: Fisher, C. Curnow, Martin
F: Betts, Mckay, McGovern
R: Pittonet, Setterfield, Williams
I/C: De Koning, Petrevski-Seton, Williamson, E.Curnow

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm going to give this a go.
Assuming no injuries.
Five Changes from the RD18 2020 team...

In: Docherty, Saad, Williams, C.Curnow, Setterfield
Out: Simpson, McGovern, Pittonet, Kennedy, Polson

B: T.Williamson, L.Jones, S.Docherty
HBs: A.Saad, J.Weitering, L.Plowman
C: M.Murphy, P.Cripps, J.Newnes
HF: Z.Williams, C.Curnow, J.Martin
F: M.Gibbons, H.McKay, E.Betts
FOLL: T.De Koning, W.Setterfield, S.Walsh,

I/C: S.Petrevski-Seton, E.Curnow, L.Casboult, D.Cunningham
Next in line: McGovern, Marchbank, Fisher, Newman

Marked up version...
B: T.Williamson, L.Jones, K.Simpson S.Docherty
HBs: S.Petrevski-Seton A.Saad, J.Weitering, L.Plowman
C: M.Murphy, P.Cripps, J.Newnes
HF: M.McGovern Z.Williams, L.Casboult C.Curnow, J.Martin
F: M.Gibbons, H.McKay, E.Betts
FOLL: M.Pittonet T.De Koning, M.Kennedy W.Setterfield, S.Walsh,

I/C: C.Polson S.Petrevski-Seton, E.Curnow, T.De Koning, L.Casboult, D.Cunningham

I like the speed that we are having in the team now :D

Last edited:
I think the Consensus 22 will be the toughest yet. Dare I say it but we have decent depth, not just depth. Reports of clubs interested in
L’Ob and Macreadie...

My rolling 22 ...

Plowman. Jones. Docherty.
Williamson. Weitering. Saad.
Walsh. Ed Curnow. SPS.
Martin. McGovern. Cunningham.
Betts. Harry. Casboult.
R. TDK. Cripps. Williams.
I. Murphy. Fisher. Setterfield. Kemp.
(E. Gibbons. Newnes. Newman. Pitto.)
(Charlie injured)

Several options but the points of difference is who claims the spots of Murphy, Ed, whether McGovern holds his spot, if Newman, Newnes and Gibbons can find their way back into the 22, who Stocker, Dow, L’Ob and Philp can force out.

Can’t like this enough. Great little summary.

B: Docherty - Jones - Plowman
HB: Marchbank - Weitering - Saad
C: Walsh - Cripps - Williamson
R: TDK - Setterfield - Williams
HF: Martin - Casboult - SPS
F: Betts - McKay - McGovern
I: E Curnow - Murphy - Cuningham - Fisher

Key backs & forwards MIA (Charlie on the injury list) in reserve. Players out of position alludes to some wasted picks previously.
Newnes - XXXX - Ramsay
Kemp - Macreadie - Newman
Cottrell - Stocker - LOB
Pittonet - Dow - Philp
Honey - Kennedy - Gibbons
Owies - Silvagni - Fogarty

I've put asterisks (*) on players who could potentially lose their spot on the field or the bench for those listed in the emergencies. Anyone out of the emergencies I've listed would have to put in a bit of development to crack the 22 imo.

B:
Lachie Plowman, Liam Jones, Caleb Marchbank*
Sam Docherty, Jacob Weitering, Adam Saad

C:
Tom Williamson*, Sam Walsh, Sam Petrevski-Seton*
Tom DeKoning, Patrick Cripps, Zac Williams

F:
Jack Martin, Charlie Curnow, Marc Murphy*
Michael Gibbons*, Harry McKay, Mitch McGovern*

INT:
Eddie Betts*, Zac Fisher, Will Setterfield, Brodie Kemp*

EMERG:
Nic Newman, Marc Pittonet, Ed Curnow, David Cuningham, Paddy Dow, Levi Casboult

I have assumed that Charlie is playing round one - if he wasn't to be then Casboult or Pittonet would come into the side - depending on how Teague wanted to play it. I think there is potential for Pitto to come in and rotate in the ruck with TDK, with TDK resting in a pocket. If that were the case, TDK would be a pocket, Pitto a ruckman - with Martin, Cripps or McGvoern starting out of the square and McKay playing CHF.

B: Docherty - Jones - Plowman
HB: Marchbank - Weitering - Saad
C: Walsh - Cripps - Williamson
R: TDK - Setterfield - Williams
HF: Gibbons - *McGovern - Fisher
F: Martin - McKay - Betts
I: E Curnow - Murphy - Cuningham - SPS

Next in Line: Newnes, Casboult, Dow, Silvagni, LOB, Newman Kemp, Kennedy, Fogerty, Stocker, Pittonet, Philp, Owies, Honey, Macreadie, Cottrell, Polson, Ramsey, Phillips,

Polson and Macreadie would be lucky to survive the final list.

*McGovern, if nothing by the bye, then, bye bye.

C Curnow, LTI, unlikely to play in 2021. Hope I'm wrong, but would be an welcome returm at CHF.

But really, who knows?

No injuries.

FB: Plowman...Weitering...Newman
HB: Saad...Jones...Docherty
C: Newnes...E.Curnow...Walsh
HF: Cunningham...C.Curnow...Fisher
FF: Martin...Mckay...JSOS
Foll: TDK...Cripps...Setterfield
Interchange: Murphy...SPS...Pittonet...Williamson

Emergency: Casboult, Betts, Gibbons
Unlucky to miss: Kennedy, Marchbank.

Marchbank needs to prove himself. Lob, Dow And McGovern need to work their butts off.

Just can't squeeze Williams in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back