Our best rolling 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to see Mitch McGov given a run on the wing.......

Beautiful kick coming in, strong overhead and has some good burst pace.
Be a real headache matchup.

I love marking wingers , reckon he could do very well there.
Me too, marking wingers - that's why I like Marchbank on the wing

A winger needs to be able to find the footy 20+ times, not sure this is in Govs repertoire

I want him playing a varied forward role. Getting higher up the ground towards the wing, marking and kicking into 50 as part of our transition movement, he's a great mark and beautiful kick. We'll also need him playing deeper at times, and he can do that too. He can 'rest' in the square as a dangerous option, perhaps when Levi is doing the relief rucking.

I wouldn't want him spending much time on the wing though, he'd get burnt on the required 2 way endurance running. But certainly getting up the field to be a marking target. I'd back him in to hit a difficult, low-height, 45deg kick to a Martin/Williams/Walsh/etc running through the middle that opens everything up, or hit Harry/Levi/Martin/etc lace out on the lead inside 50.

He's also one of the players I'm more comfortable with taking a shot at goal, so we want to be hitting him up when he leads into space (rather than our go-to which is somehow ignore him and opt for the high bomb to Harry, Levi and 5 defenders in the pocket or kick to him but miss 10m+, probably over his head to an unmanned defensive sweeper).

Me too, marking wingers - that's why I like Marchbank on the wing

Only if / when he gets back he has also improved his field kicking - Williamson is a better option I think.

So I watched some highlights of our 2020 wins last night and this morning and you know what stood out...

Jack Newnes scores in almost every single one.

Despite the fact he's not the sexiest name in the world. I think he has to be Best 22 this season due to his experience and impact.

Thoughts?

So I watched some highlights of our 2020 wins last night and this morning and you know what stood out...

Despite the fact he's not the sexiest name in the world. I think he has to be Best 22 this season due to his experience and impact.

Thoughts?
If fit and doesn't have a form slump he'll likely play most if not all of the year. Fit & can run all day, has a bit of size about him, seems to never get injured, can kick a goal, versatile in that he can play wing, hff and hbf (although from memory he hasn't done that for us).

If he does find his way out of the 22 (without injury or form slump) then we know someone has really stepped up.

Thoughts?
I feel if we are going to improve and take the next step to a finals team then there has to be some casualties and players of a higher class and output need to be found.

I love what Newnes brought last year and you are spot on with his goal scoring contributions....... But.

Williams obviously a lock and D.T. has talked up Fogarty (I rate him very highly ) so there are probably 2 spots
gone already IMO. Gibbons, Newnes probably dont have the upside we require IMO.
And it wont end there. Pressure on Eddie Betts and even Murph amongst others which is a great thing.

Thoughts?
Absolutely no doubt, he hits the scoreboard consistently. him and Sammy Walsh just have a knack for finding goals, it’s a skill that can’t be taught.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel if we are going to improve and take the next step to a finals team then there has to be some casualties and players of a higher class and output need to be found.

I love what Newnes brought last year and you are spot on with his goal scoring contributions....... But.

Williams obviously a lock and D.T. has talked up Fogarty (I rate him very highly ) so there are probably 2 spots
And it wont end there. Pressure on Eddie Betts and even Murph amongst others which is a great thing.
Still think Fog starts as a forward, possibly with an occasional spurt in the middle. Remember he's coming from a bit back, this is his first January not in the rehab group, and with the reduced interchange there will be an emphasis on being 4-quarter-2-way-running fitness when the match committee sit down to discuss selection.

Gibbons will keep playing that forward role where he's going between small fwd, hhf and getting a little higher at times as a link man.... again, like Newnes & Murph, he can run the game out which will be valued highly.

Eddie I see as the most vulnerable, partly because of the recent calf and the possibility of it becoming an old man recurring injury. That being said, if he's able to get on the park he'll probably take a bit to force out as he's still our best small forward when you're talking about 'the craft'. He'll have Durdin, Honey, maybe Owies also trying to get his spot.

These mid/top age guys who are incumbents in the 22 - Murphy, Newnes, Gibbons, Ed, Levi, Jones (maybe Newman if he regains his spot after the best part of a year off) - aren't going to be dropped for a kid based on potential or hope or whatever other reason; they're going to have to be forced out and for that to happen the likes of Dow/Stocker/Fogarty/Durdin/whoever are going to have to step up, get genuinely fit and put together some great form in the reserves and on the training track.

I still reckon our round 1 mids and mid/fwds are going to be Cripps, Walsh, Williams, Setterfield, Curnow, Murphy, Newnes, Martin, Gibbons & Fisher (the last two being more forwards, Fish probably only playing as a small/hff/hhf). Then there's HBF types that could get up the ground will be Doc, Saad, SPS and Newman/Williamson/Marchbank. The competition is tough, much tougher than we've had in years, and favourites will miss out initially, across all lines. How the 22 evolves over the year will be interesting, but early days I'm expecting something pretty damn close to those players I just mentioned.

Agree - but not sure Newnes is in the first batch to be replaced.

That really should be a 34yo Betts, 33yo Murph and 31yo Ed.

And if we're being brutally honest then the rather inconsistent Cunners and Williamson need to up their output or face being replaced as well.

Newnes has more lengevity than the first group, and is a more consistent contributor than the other pair, reckon his position is safe enough for a while yet.

Kemp comes with big wraps, what can we expect from him.. who is he competing with to secure a spot in the side.. His highlights video suggest he could play off half back..

Kemp comes with big wraps, what can we expect from him.. who is he competing with to secure a spot in the side.. His highlights video suggest he could play off half back..
We can expect him to play in the backline in the reserves, maybe the last month or two of the season. He was supposedly training as a key defender before doing his ankle, not sure if that's where he'll resume or as a hbf.

Just tried to do a best 22 and boy was it hard to fit everyone in.. This can only be a good thing, we have depth in most positions and some quality players who will be playing VFL..

Here goes..

FB - SPS, Jones, Marchbank
HB - Docherty, Weiters, Saad
C - Williams, Cripps, Walsh
HF - Fisher, Charlie, Martin
FF - Betts, McKay, Casboult
F - TDk, Setterfield, Ed Curnow

I - Newnes, Newman, JSOS, Murphy
Em - Pittonet, Willo, Stocker, Kemp

My hope would be that by Queens birthday, someone has stepped up and forced Betts and Murphy out of the side, just not sure who will take there opportunities.

We can expect him to play in the backline in the reserves, maybe the last month or two of the season. He was supposedly training as a key defender before doing his ankle, not sure if that's where he'll resume or as a hbf.

Missed what happened to his ankle?? Must be serious if he is going to miss that much footy..

Just tried to do a best 22 and boy was it hard to fit everyone in.. This can only be a good thing, we have depth in most positions and some quality players who will be playing VFL..

Here goes..

FB - SPS, Jones, Marchbank
HB - Docherty, Weiters, Saad
C - Williams, Cripps, Walsh
HF - Fisher, Charlie, Martin
FF - Betts, McKay, Casboult
F - TDk, Setterfield, Ed Curnow

I - Newnes, Newman, JSOS, Murphy
Em - Pittonet, Willo, Stocker, Kemp

My hope would be that by Queens birthday, someone has stepped up and forced Betts and Murphy out of the side, just not sure who will take there opportunities.
Plow didn't even make your emergencies...
Missed what happened to his ankle?? Must be serious if he is going to miss that much footy..
Injury update: Brodie Kemp (carltonfc.com.au)

Ahead of Marchbank, SPS & Saad..

Marchy plays on the 2nd tall to allow Weiters to swoop.. SPS or Saad lockdown the small forward and the other provides the run..
Well, he'll be named in the back pocket. Marchbank isn't playing a key defender role to allow Weitering to play loose. I want Marchbank to play, how he fits is another question, but it won't be as a FB/CHB and it won't be taking Plowman's utilitarian lockdown role. Marchbank is an intercept defender with top shelf running ability.

I reckon we can probably pencil this in as the starting back 6, could swap SPS and Doc but I think we'll see SPS play more HBF than BP and Doc often plays the sweeper role.

Plowman Jones Docherty
SPS Weitering Saad

The 7th defender is going to come from Newman, Marchbank, Williamson, and maybe Stocker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back