Celtics, AC Milan
Backs: Plowman Jones Newman
H-Backs: Docherty Weitering Saad
Centres: Williams Cripps Williamson
H-Forwards: Martin McKay Newnes
Forwards: Fisher Casboult Betts
Rucks: Pittonet Walsh E.Curnow
I/C: Silvagni Gibbons SPS Setterfield

No love for Marc Murphy!? No Mitch McGovern?

in all seriousness though slightly different to my best 22 but can anyone disagree with any of it? if that team runs out round 1 I wouldn't be disappointed with it at all. Seriously good times are coming people. To think if it clicks for guys like Paddy Dow, Stocker, TDK, Fogarty etc. how good we can be this year. To think if Silvagni, Gibbons get the nod over Murph and Gov... they'd work their arses off to make sure they performed...otherwise someone is more than able to come in.

Who misses out?.. we can beat anyone on any day and once the players start realising that look out. With the players we brought in over the off season and natural progression, there is no opposition team that puts fear into me at all. Not Richmond, not Geelong, GWS, Collingwood, Port - nobody. we matched it with them last year and we've only gotten better, much much better.

Teams should look at that backline and say - "tough to score, tough run and carry to stop"
Teams should look at the midfield and say - "best clearance player in the game back to his bigger self, best young mid in the game in Walsh, absolute machine, Williams, Setterfield, Martin etc...who do you tag, who gets off the leash this week?"
Teams should look at the forward line and say " Harry McKay 204cm plays like a rover, Casboult/Charlie clunk everything, crafty smalls"

no team looks at us as an easy kill from now - not one.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Backs: Plowman Jones Newman
H-Backs: Docherty Weitering Saad
Centres: Williams Cripps Williamson
H-Forwards: Martin McKay Newnes
Forwards: Fisher Casboult Betts
Rucks: Pittonet Walsh E.Curnow
I/C: Silvagni Gibbons SPS Setterfield
I don't mind having JSOS in instead of Gov. I also don't mind leaving Murph out of the side to give Willo/SPS more time on a wing.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I think there are going to be a lot of eyes on the small and medium forwards in the side. They are probably one of the real unknowns of our best 22.

Silvagni - I like him in the side because he's got great footy smarts, he's tough and he's good at ground level. Probably not elite overhead, not overly quick and not the most reliable kick for goal.

McGovern - Hard not to have him, good hands, great kick but just goes missing a lot. Not great at ground level and may not have the smarts to fit in with two other key forwards.

Kennedy - Probably more of a midfielder but he can play forward a bit though I think we would rather make our forward line quick.

Betts - Still had it last season, it was just his hands let him down. At his age though you would hope that he's replaced by someone younger and playing well enough to replace him.

Fisher - He's probably a lock, just quick and skilful and should be on the improvement.

Murphy - Set to play more forward this season, just not sure he is a genuine small forward. The tackling and chasing part is probably missing here.

Martin - He's a lock in the team but perhaps not in the forward line as much as usual.

Carroll - Young guy who could be one to watch for a spot.

Cuningham - Should be in the prime of his career, always showed skills and pace but hasn't found consistency.

Newnes - He's a part timer.

Gibbons - He's done ok in the forward line without being elite.

Durdin - Could come in very soon, lets wait and see.

Philp - Probably be developed as a midfielder or half forward.

Honey - Good chance to come in but may be developed in the midfield and half forward as well.

Owies - Has kicked some goals in the reserves and is quite raw so who knows, could come in.

Fogarty - Probably looking at being more of a midfielder but who knows, he can play forward.

The whole we don't have any forwards complaint of a year or so ago is long gone, shows how quickly and easily is it to fill a list with small forwards and hopefully we get to see that small forwards can be played a lot younger and develop quicker. Loads of options here and if some of these young guys start to come on then it's going to change the team big time. I couldn't say who's likely to come in at this stage but this IMO is going to be some of the most interesting viewing out of the preseason games and reserves games during the season. Forward line by the end of the season, I don't think any of us will have much idea about it but if things go well we will see some new faces and some serious pace IMO.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
B: Plowman Jones Marchbank
HB: Saad Weitering Docherty
C: Walsh Cripps Williamson
HF: Martin Casboult Fisher
F: Betts McKay Silvagni
FOLL: Pittonet Setterfield Williams
INT: Murphy Petrevski-Seton E. Curnow Gibbons
EM: Cunningham Newnes Newman Kennedy

It’s not until you do an exercise like this that you realise how skinny or tall stocks are...

this this ******* this!

Biggest unanswered question
Can they stop the run ons?

It’s the most talked about stat about Carlton over the last 12 months and it’s abundantly clear that for all the good things David Teague has done with this group, there remains a chink in the plan which continues to set them back.

The numbers don’t lie. On nine occasions in 2020 Carlton let opposition teams put a run of at least five unanswered goals on. Since David Teague has been coach, Carlton has conceded a five-goal swing in 17 of 27 matches.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I've been working my way through Peter Heimann's "Regular Clock Construction" for some time - for those with an interest in the math behind standard movements I also recommend George Daniels' "watchmaking" - a seminal work by the only man on the planet to ever recieve the honour "Master Watchmaker" for services to horology.
Is he on TikTok?

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
It was a simple question, how many wins will we achieve

This isn't our first rodeo, so we don't need the countless conatations of who could rise and fall

I think we will achieve 12-14 wins, due to a number of factors

Have a crack at it
11. Dont ask me how to build a clock

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
this this ******* this!

Biggest unanswered question
Can they stop the run ons?

You see it all the time, teams get a lead and the opposition then drop numbers back, go a little more defensive at the stoppages and try and slowly defend themselves back into the game. More intercepting, more rebounding and tackling around the stoppages. Best example is the 2018 grand final or Hawthorn and Collingwood against us last season. How teams react to this tactic comes down to experience and leadership IMO. I saw Essendon give up a lead to Geelong, they went numbers back and full defensive so Geelong, after being very attacking and demonstrating fast ball movement slowed the game down, went tempo, held things up and wasted time and didn't allow Essendon's tactic to work, they simply held their lead and didn't give Essendon the time to get back and eventually Essendon gave up and they went on the attack again. Us on the other hand keep going forward hard and fast and we become an interceptors dream and get done on the rebound.

We start all attacking and we get a lead, the opposition go defensive, we turn the ball over at an amazing rate in our forward half and the opposition just rebound and intercept their way back into the game and get on top of us with more physicality around the stoppages. If you can't build your attack from the center then build it from defence kind of thing. This is what works against us.

This is going to come down to how we react when we build a lead and the opposition apply defensive tactics against us. We're going to have to learn to change things up, play slower, go up the line, hold the footy up, create stoppages and most of all, stop hitting up the intercepting players in our forward line, that stuff kills ya!

I get the feeling that Teague may try and beat the defensive tactics with fast ball movement, better skills and better forward targets but whether it works remains to be seen. Most teams just slow it up and go low risk ball movement until it opens up again. These are pretty common tactics in the AFL and the defensive stuff has worked well against us.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Plenty on the cusp for selection here, and also where we land on the injury front prior to round 1 for the available players.
7 outside = JSOS, Gibbons, Willo, DC, Dow, Stocker, Kennedy
6-7 others consist of LOB (wing), Durdin, Cottrell, Philp, Owies, Parks & Marchbank (inj)

BB9F8984-7938-4558-923D-1E1A2AA32C59.jpeg

reubsblues

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
B: Plowman Jones Marchbank
C: Walsh Cripps Williamson
HF: Martin Casboult Fisher
F: Betts McKay Silvagni
INT: Murphy Petrevski-Seton E. Curnow Gibbons
EM: Cunningham Newnes Newman Kennedy

It’s not until you do an exercise like this that you realise how skinny or tall stocks are...
Richmond won 3 flags without being overly tall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Plenty on the cusp for selection here, and also where we land on the injury front prior to round 1 for the available players.
7 outside = JSOS, Gibbons, Willo, DC, Dow, Stocker, Kennedy
6-7 others consist of LOB (wing), Durdin, Cottrell, Philp, Owies, Parks & Marchbank (inj)

View attachment 1059716
Pretty much nailed it BH. Thats as close to the acorn tree the acorn has fallen for mine. Few spots to potentially be dislodged as the season progresses (here's hoping) will call it.. but that's as close to a realistic a starting 22 thats been presented thus far.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm looking at our best 22 for Round 1.

INJURED from my best rolling 22: TDK, C Curnow, McGovern, Marchbank.

B: Plowman Jones SPS
C: Walsh Cripps Newnes
HF: Martin Casboult Silvagni
F: Betts McKay Fisher
INT: Murphy Newman E. Curnow Fogarty

Murphy and Fogarty give us options on ball and forward.

Williamson stiff but I think Newman is a better 7th backman and Newnes is (currently) a better wing man.

Gibbons, Kennedy, Stocker, Dow, LOB, Cuningham all knocking on the door..some could & will force their way in to the best 22.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Hey guys, here's my updated best 22 following today's injury report...

FB - Plowman, Jones, Williamson

HB - Saad, Weitering, Docherty

M - Newnes, Cripps, Walsh

HF - Martin, Casboult?, Gibbons

FF - Fisher, McKay, Betts?

FOL - Pittonet, Setterfield, Williams

I/C - Murphy, Petrevski-Seton, E. Curnow, McGovern?
~~~
EMG - Fogarty, Dow, Cuningham, Silvagni

INJ - C. Curnow, Marchbank, De Koning, Kemp, Newman

Levi, Gov and Betts are still question marks as to whether or not they'll be fit for rd 1. I've kept them in for now, but Fog and JSOS would be my selections if they aren't ready for the season opener.

I'm actually not too concerned about the runs of goals, as the core of the team is a year older and together with the new recruit this would give us the most balanced team that we've had on the park for a long long time :D
So with this balanced team, we will be stronger and would not have these lapses as often and therefore win more games!

Not a bad 22 really, by the reporter really.

I would only change the following:
  1. Paddy Dow to replace Newnes
  2. Mitch McGovern to replace Newman
I wanted to replace Michael Gibbons with one of JSOS or Fogarty - but, couldn't pull the trigger

Predicted Rd 1 line-up:
B: Lachie Plowman – Liam Jones – Tom Williamson

HB: Sam Docherty – Jacob Weitering – Adam Saad

C: Paddy Dow – Patrick Cripps – David Cuningham

HF: Jack Martin – Levi Casboult – Marc Murphy

F: Zac Fisher – Harry McKay – Michael Gibbons

R: Marc Pittonet – Sam Walsh – Zac Williams

I/C: Sam Petrevski-Seton – Ed Curnow – Will Setterfield – Mitch McGovern

Edit: Thanks Ash24 changed Marchbank to McGovern

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I'm actually not too concerned about the runs of goals, as the core of the team is a year older and together with the new recruit this would give us the most balanced team that we've had on the park for a long long time :D
So with this balanced team, we will be stronger and would not have these lapses as often and therefore win more games!

Not a bad 22 really, by the reporter really.

I would only change the following:
  1. Paddy Dow to replace Newnes
  2. Caleb Marchbank to replace Newman
I wanted to replace Michael Gibbons with one of JSOS, McGovern or even Fogarty - but, couldn't pull the trigger

Predicted Rd 1 line-up:
B: Lachie Plowman – Liam Jones – Tom Williamson

HB: Sam Docherty – Jacob Weitering – Adam Saad

C: Paddy Dow – Patrick Cripps – David Cuningham

HF: Jack Martin – Levi Casboult – Marc Murphy

F: Zac Fisher – Harry McKay – Michael Gibbons

R: Marc Pittonet – Sam Walsh – Zac Williams

I/C: Sam Petrevski-Seton – Ed Curnow – Will Setterfield – Caleb Marchbank
Unfortunately Marchbank won't be ready for rd 1. I also would probably like a 3rd tall up forward, but as you mentioned it's quite tough to see who is omitted from the team. Possibly Dow, pushing Martin or Murphy into a more permanent spot in the midfield.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Hey guys, here's my updated best 22 following today's injury report...

FB - Plowman, Jones, Williamson

HB - Saad, Weitering, Docherty

M - Newnes, Cripps, Walsh

HF - Martin, Casboult?, Gibbons

FF - Fisher, McKay, Betts?

FOL - Pittonet, Setterfield, Williams

I/C - Murphy, Petrevski-Seton, E. Curnow, McGovern?
~~~
EMG - Fogarty, Dow, Cuningham, Silvagni

INJ - C. Curnow, Marchbank, De Koning, Kemp, Newman

Levi, Gov and Betts are still question marks as to whether or not they'll be fit for rd 1. I've kept them in for now, but Fog and JSOS would be my selections if they aren't ready for the season opener.
Have taken an interesting approach and brought in Dow for Newnes. I would like to see a rotation between him and Setters across wing/on-ball.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
After today it looks like it will be L.Fogarty over Gibbons and Dow over Newnes (Setters and E.Curnow to maybe play more wing rather than inside and i guess Z.Williams can aswell)

Back