Up the Coasters Our best wins in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Apologies if this got covered already, in which case please merge or whatever.

What were our best 10 wins (in order) for the year?

1. GF v Pies. Obviously.

2. QF v Pies. A great comeback, it was all about just getting the win. The atmosphere was incredible.

3. Round 17 v Pies. We lost Naitanui but we pumped the Pies at the G. It gave me hope and belief that we could win the flag more than any game this year.

4. Round 21 v Port. It was so pivotal to our top 2 chances. And such an incredible finish against the odds.

5. Round 9 v Tigers. We pumped them and established ourselves as a Premiership chance.

6. PF v Demons. I was so stressed leading into the game. It was party time and just so enjoyable knowing we were on our way to the GF.

7. Round 8 v Giants. We had injury issues, so did they. But we got the job done and built belief.

8. Round 16 v Giants. Same as above. We just got over the line and we all knew how pivotal the win was.

9. Round 10 v Hawks. Another win that was well fought and a bit surprising.

10. Round 7 v Port. To smash them like we did was unexpected but so enjoyable.

The win over Port was one of the arsiest things I've ever seen.
It was a laughably bullshit win, to be honest. More amusing than anything else, mostly because I think post Gaff many here had stopped thinking of a flag as more than a fantasy so just wanted to enjoy the rest of the year.

I believe it was the first time a side in AFL history won a game despite not leading for a single minute of game time.

Considering what happened last year in the elimination final as well it gave us, Adelaide fans, and most other non-Port fans amusement for days. Also guarantees eternal Port hatred (the only two sets of salty fans after the GF were Freo and Port supporters).

The gutsy wins over Geelong, Freo, GWS, Carlton and Hawthorn in the first half of the season really set us up in terms of confidence/belief for the season.

These group of players demonstrated for the first time they had the heart and balls to grind out games where previously they would have dropped certain games.

Also, that win in round 2 vs Bulldogs was just pure fun. You could tell the players really embraced the new gameplan and we saw our new talent on display which finally provided us the injection of speed/X factor the team really needed.

1: Grand Final.
2: Preliminary Final - It was good watching us completely crush the Dee’s after all the BS in the media. “Retweet if you think the Deeeeee’s are gonna beat the Weagles and play in a Grand Final!”
3: Finals Week One.
4: Richmond.
5: Port Adelaide RD21 - lol.
6: Collingwood - RD17.
7 GWS RD8 - No Shuey, Gov, Nic, Jetta, Sheed, Venables or Ryan, no *ing Wokka’s.
8: Bulldogs RD2 - Rioli Debut, young guys Venables, Ryan and Waterman killing it.
9: Both derby’s.
10: Tie between RD3: Geelong & RD7: Port.

HM: Hawthorn RD10.

Last edited:
All three wis against Collingwood, in logical order

The PF demo on poxy Melbourne

The hammering of Richmond at home

The port return bout

The win against geelong

And probably the away win vs GWS

The other dozen or so were brilliant to

Wasn't there a Barry Hall goal after the siren against Brisbane which qualified?

Correct. Googling Barry Hall after the siren and Brisbane pulled up a 2005 game that was similar.

But f*** Barry Hall and the COLA Swans.

Edit - somewhat funny but the player that conceded the goal to Hall by giving away a free kick for high contact? Chris Scott.

Too many to consider!

- Dismantled top of the table Richmond earlier in the year. The HTB against Dusty from Yeo was delicous.
- Finally beat Hawthorn in Melbourne in 12 years, albeit it was at Etihad, it was still bloody satifying.
- Another absolute bullshit win against Port. Hard to believe in 5 seasons we still haven't lost against them at AO.
- Breaking the G hoodoo against the pies in Rd 17 which would ultimately give us the most belief that we could match it with the best sides at the biggest ground.
- All 10 wins in a row were brilliant
- Comfortably getting over GWS away when we had our main core of players out in Gov, NN & Shuey.
- All the wins at home felt pretty nice at our new home.

Oh and how good were the Finals?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a montage of all the close wins against Port over the last few years.

Remember than game in 2015 IIRC when Shuey kicked a goal on the run to out us in front with a minute or so to go.

Gee Port must hate us. Lulzzzz

The win over Port was one of the arsiest things I've ever seen.
I had my own sport to play that arvo but finished in time to see us well behind at hald time. After I finished having some beers at the clubhouse, I jumped in my car and listened to the 4th quarter. When Robbie Gray marked in front to put them three goals up I cracked the sads and turned the radio off. Switching it back on a minute later, I couldn't believe lecca had just kicked a goal ( I also realised Gray had missed) but figured it would still be an honourable loss due to the lack of time. McGovern fixed that problen though :) I still question how that one really came together.

Grand final obviously the best

QF v. Pies is probably the best game of footy i've attended

Rd 21 v. Port because of the memes

Prelim v. Melbourne because of vic journos

Round 3 v. Geelong was just extremely satisfying for some reason, last year we would've dropped that game in the last quarter but we managed to kick a few and win

Round 17 v. Pies, won at the G against a top 4 side

Round 9 v. Tigers, Yeo catching dusty holding the ball twice

The win against Carlton was bloody woeful. No fault of ours as such - the Blues coaching team opted for a two goal loss over a ten goal loss at the expense of any chance of a win.

The win against Carlton was bloody woeful. No fault of ours as such - the Blues coaching team opted for a two goal loss over a ten goal loss at the expense of any chance of a win.

I actually like those wins almost as much as the thrashings.

Grinding out the wins when the opponent is on their game and managing to bring us down to their level - priceless experience in getting a result when things are against you.

*the 2017 final/Port steal by Shuey win.
*the 2018 Port steal by Gov win.
*the 2018 GF Pie steal by Sheed.
all similarly unbelievable...but all consistently brilliant!

(the MCG win vs.Pies; the win vs. Hawks, the pantsing of Tigers at Optus; and the humiliation of Demons at Optus = all good, and all games showing there was a new kid on the block!)

I actually like those wins almost as much as the thrashings.

Grinding out the wins when the opponent is on their game and managing to bring us down to their level - priceless experience in getting a result when things are against you.

Totally agree on the importance of winning ugly. But that wasn't ugly. That made ugly look like Cindy Crawford.

Totally agree on the importance of winning ugly. But that wasn't ugly. That made ugly look like Cindy Crawford.

I heard the game was so ugly even Ross Lyon wouldn't sexually harass it.

I was in a corporate box this time around for our yearly beat Port after the siren infront of 40 thousand of their pathetic salty fans game

And it was bloody brilliant. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Had a fair few cans though as I thought we would lose.

Sooo good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back