Our biggest flaw

Remove this Banner Ad

We are going at 50:50 (goal:behinds) discounting OOFs.
Nowhere near acceptable and it has arguably cost us twice already this year

Our dominant spells in games is not being reflected on the scoreboard. We miss far too many set shots and this is a real issue if your gameplan revolves around getting the majority of goals through set shots.

Last night was a good example of how we kept St Kildare in the game for longer than they shoul have been.

Without wanting to jinx him, at least Roughy is kicking straight when gets an opportunity. Cyrillic must be encouraged to go for goal no matter where he is on the ground:D

Did u read one of my replies in another thread? lol. This is my biggest concern with the brown and gold.....would be 5-1 if we could convert! None of this slow midfield crap or our defence is gonna cost us (although would prefer gilham back near his best and of course gibbo) but we simply never put sides away when we dominate! Buddy is missing his set shots by a long way. Has 18 rounds to get it right lol!

Does it take into account Rushed Behinds?

What other teams going at?

I know theres a few clubs running below to 50% mark.

Sorry haven't gone to that depth. The OOFs are countered by any rushed behinds.

The point is our gameplan revolves around getting a set shot unlike some who aren't fussed. Carlton for example I would guess kick less goals from shet shots because their game is not based on getting set shots

But if anyone has the time, feel free to do some further analysis

Does it take into account Rushed Behinds?

What other teams going at?

I know theres a few clubs running below to 50% mark.

12 rushed behinds of which 5 were last night.

Interestingly in the 'crunch' games against WCE & Geelong we conceded 7 & 5 respectively - a sign of disorganisation, panic and pressure - or a genuine tactic to regain free possesion of the ball?

In regards to the OP - biggest flaw - nah, but probably our most annoying one in that you don't have to go and spend say $5 million dollars and spend years nurturing a resource to fix it - so much gain can be made for little pain......rediculous.

It is worrying, but have no doubt we will get better during the year. Definitely worrying though, gotta convert better than 50-50.

Worried about our shots at goal on the run, for example Savage in the first quarter, no real pressure on him and slams it into the post, and then later, Shiels on the run and kicks out on the full from 35 out on a slight angle. Buddy too, but at least he kicked 5 last night, would be great if he can start converting at a better rate, 24 behinds is a bit much.

Interestingly in the 'crunch' games against WCE & Geelong we conceded 7 & 5 respectively - a sign of disorganisation, panic and pressure - or a genuine tactic to regain free possesion of the ball?

In regards to the OP - biggest flaw - nah, but probably our most annoying one in that you don't have to go and spend say $5 million dollars and spend years nurturing a resource to fix it - so much gain can be made for little pain......rediculous.
saints rushed 5 behinds! they are bradbury's, change the rules! its not fair! if only they were goals! oh wait thats right they didnt win! play on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It also shows that teams are just kicking it deep to their goalsquare.

I'm happy for our defenders to punch it thru for an unpressurized possession to setup again.

saints rushed 5 behinds! they are bradbury's, change the rules! its not fair! if only they were goals! oh wait thats right they didnt win! play on

This comment is so true. Don't see why the rule needed to be brought in anyway when we are giving the opposition a damn point! Its not like we take it over and gain possession for no consequence. AFL are knee jerk fools

If goal kicking is the only skill in football that hasn't improved over the last 100 years, and the generally held view is that it's because the players are more tired when having shots...

Well, I'd argue that having buddy and co play in the middle and half back (Sydney game) probably goes a long way to our players being completely knackered.

Keep them at home and hopefully our conversion rate will improve?

The problem with our accuracy is a problem of Alister Clarksons making, he just does not place enough importance on it which is staggering, he said as much in a press conference one year. They are more interested in things like forward entries and clearance which is all well and good but to show a lack of concern for goal kicking is mind boggling. The fitness gurus ( yes the same gurus who have presided over our ravaged list the past 3 years ) dont want the players doing too much goal kicking at training, puts to much stress on the legs ( bulls%t ) so we dont include goal kicking as a major componant of training. Jason Dunstall has said the modern player just does not practice goal kicking enough. Clarksons views have not changed in years, they wont change now, get set for us to lose a big final this year like last year where we are the better side but blow it in front of goal, gauranteed.

The problem with our accuracy is a problem of Alister Clarksons making, he just does not place enough importance on it which is staggering, he said as much in a press conference one year. They are more interested in things like forward entries and clearance which is all well and good but to show a lack of concern for goal kicking is mind boggling. The fitness gurus ( yes the same gurus who have presided over our ravaged list the past 3 years ) dont want the players doing too much goal kicking at training, puts to much stress on the legs ( bulls%t ) so we dont include goal kicking as a major componant of training. Jason Dunstall has said the modern player just does not practice goal kicking enough. Clarksons views have not changed in years, they wont change now, get set for us to lose a big final this year like last year where we are the better side but blow it in front of goal, gauranteed.

So when I see them spending time on it at training, I'm just imagining it am I?

Yet another uninformed view lacking facts. Seems to be common with your posts.

So when I see them spending time on it at training, I'm just imagining it am I?

Yet another uninformed view lacking facts. Seems to be common with your posts.
Yes they do spend time on it but nowhere near enough and thats the problem henry, a pro golfer can go and hit a thousand shots a day, a pro tennis player can put down hundreds of serves in a practice session, yet these elite footballers are content to do 3 or 4 , 1/2 hour sessions of goal kicking a week, well it isnt getting the job done is it, so we keep coughing up games due to inaccuracy, and thats the facts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back