Review Our Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

IF we had a forward structure
IF he was kicking at goal was 80-90% not miss after miss
IF our midfields could lower their eyes and deliver it to our fowards

Jack would be a million bucks!!

However - while we play some sort of run and bomb chasey style of football , he is f***ed!!

The set shot goal kicking is within his control and he could be showing leadership that way. But no;(

I still have faith in Jack and it will turn around but it’s hard to see how just now!

He needs a certain set of circumstances. De Goey can create his own scenarios. That is why Jack will never be a great player, needs too much peripheral assistance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That’s total crap.

DeGoey creates those opportunities because Collingwood have a functioning forward line.

If you stuck Jack in Collingwoods forward line watch him go to work.

Our current structure is a cluster* and only exacerbated by the horrible ball movement.

That’s total crap.

DeGoey creates those opportunities because Collingwood have a functioning forward line.

Our current structure is a cluster**** and only exacerbated by the horrible ball movement.

I’m glad you are not our recruiter then

I’m glad you are not our recruiter then

My comment has nothing to do with recruitment.

I am making the point that even a highly talented player would struggle to have an impact in this current side.

Don’t twist my comments into something they weren’t. Of course on pure football talent DeGoey is ahead of Jack, but that wasn’t what I said.

Jack is a good footballer playing under a dickhead of a coach.

My comment has nothing to do with recruitment.

I am making the point that even a highly talented player would struggle to have an impact in this current side.

Don’t twist my comments into something they weren’t. Of course on pure football talent DeGoey is ahead of Jack, but that wasn’t what I said.

Jack is a good footballer playing under a dickhead of a coach.

Take yesterday out of it, Higgins and Cunnington have been very good despite playing in a crap setup. Jack struggles to impact positively without a good setup. That is why he is limited. I would rather compare Miachek and Ziebell to make the point.

JZ is not and never will be a permament inside forward 50 player - its been said numerous times that he simply isn't big enough or strong enough overhead to be a go-to target and he isn't quick or skilful enough to play the small forward role.

If we have to find a spot for him it needs to be the high half forward role - the Craig Sholl role for those who were around then.

JZ needs to work much harder, get up the ground and use his general ball skills to beat his opponent on the lead or be ferocious in tackling and chasing when he doesn't have the ball. He is doing neither of these at present.

To have your captain sitting in the goal square not working hard and getting easily beaten is at the top of the reasons why our forward line and overall team is so dysfunctional atm.

That’s total crap.

Our current structure is a cluster**** and only exacerbated by the horrible ball movement.

What does Jack do ever to turn a game, make a statement or inspire the team? He is part of the problem of our inconsistency and low standards. It seems the only reason he is captain Is because he selects the music before the game.

Jack Z's career is at the crossroads. Just as Swallow's was towards the end of his career. The game gets quicker & quicker & just being tough is not enough to cut it AFL level. Problem is, Jack is our captain. He'll come out against Port breathing fire and CRASH packs like never seen before but does that equate to sustainable on-field success. Not in my book.
Jack is too slow to play midfield. His skill level has never been adequate to play midfield. He is now too slow to gain separation on his opponents when he plays as a forward. It's not looking good for Jack Z. Can't imagine him being captain next year. A new coach in 2020 & suddenly Jack may find himself in the VFL. If Scott is still in charge though, Jack will probably remain as captain being a quality person and all.

It amazes me that Jack has never addressed his achilles heel - his leg speed and endurance. Has the club ever approached him about it & suggested he do a pre-season solely dedicated to improving his running? Or maybe the club preferred him to be out and about visiting a variety of social groups, cultural diversity meetings, anti-violence seminars, schools, clinics etc. to show what a nice, inclusive club we are?

Always loved Jack's hardness but his weakness has always been his lack of tank - even despite a dozen pre-seasons. He simply can't get from contest to contest. IMO he's keeping Larkey out of the team which is disappointing.

It amazes me that Jack has never addressed his achilles heel - his leg speed and endurance. Has the club ever approached him about it & suggested he do a pre-season solely dedicated to improving his running? Or maybe the club preferred him to be out and about visiting a variety of social groups, cultural diversity meetings, anti-violence seminars, schools, clinics etc. to show what a nice, inclusive club we are?

Don't you remember the Steve Saunders years? Jack Ziebel and Ben Cunnington were supposed to be his magnum opus. Neither could run out of sight on a dark night, but look at them now. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit over the top on JZ imo. He plays a mid-sized utility type forward, in a team thats on the bottom of the ladder, a team that goes to its FF more often than not. We all agree his goal kicking isnt up to scratch atm, yet he's still our second highest goal scorer. If he kicked just 2 extra goals he'd be equal 15th on the goal kicking table - again thats in a team bottom of the ladder with garbage percentage. So being flogged.

Let’s look at profiling him as a junior.

Played CHF, not possible at AFL. So expected position is a mid sized forward.

Has limited athleticism so was not considered a strong candidate for the midfield. However was considered a bull so was always considered a rotation mid possibility.

That is who he is. That is unfortunately a mid to late pick or rookie profile, not a first rounder.

We got what we should have expected.

Everyone rated him where we picked him. Can’t we be disappointed without getting silly about history?

Ziebell had a shocker but the guy can play and his position is up forward.
It looks congested and the ball keeps landing where the players are not inside 50 atm but i reckon Jacks an important cog up forward.
Some scorched earth posting going on atm after Friday - I get it but Ziebells got plenty to offer imo.
Was a bit disappointed with his recent interview - came off as a vanilla media street fanboy.

Probably not the captain I thought he’d be, but he’s the guy for the time being and I’ll back him in for it.

http://afldraftinfo.blogspot.com/2009/01/jack-ziebell-murray-bushrangersvic.html?m=1

Quick look at one drafting profile and yep, that's our Jack.
He's seemingly a victim of poor execution upfield right now. As others have said, if the game plan was better suited to the players he would be thriving in his current position.

Great find. Hopefully whoever wrote that ended up working for an AFL club because some of the calls there are absolutely spot on.

"Doesn’t display vision at stoppages to dispose by hand – tries to bash and crash his way through the pack and then slams it on the boot long to clear it"

"A very dependable type that can play a variety of roles, but may not quite have the all-round genuine star qualities to reach elite status. Likely to captain his club down the track."

"Could be susceptible to injury in the future given his playing style."

http://afldraftinfo.blogspot.com/2009/01/jack-ziebell-murray-bushrangersvic.html?m=1

Quick look at one drafting profile and yep, that's our Jack.
He's seemingly a victim of poor execution upfield right now. As others have said, if the game plan was better suited to the players he would be thriving in his current position.
Not one line in that very good write up of JZ as a junior suggests he should be a capable of, let alone thrive, as a permanent forward 50 player - but hey let's play him there anyway as we can't hide him in the midfield anymore and we have no one else who captain us.

I reckon Jack should have fronted up to the presser with Brad after the game, not throw Browny and his niece under the bus, even if it had been pre arranged to do so, in the hope we won the game, a last minute executive decision would have been better leadership.

Seemed like that whole bit was planned from the beginning and not accounting into what turned out to happen; which was an embarrassing loss, a big punch to the gut, the trigger thats spilled over into what's now bringing the entire club into question and as it happened even though it might not have been intended this way, comes across like the presser was deflecting criticism so it could focus more on Brown & his nieces story, which while it's horrible to say but it wasn't the right time or place for it, should've been moved somewhere else or cancelled altogether.

All in all in my eyes that entire presser makes the club look bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back