Prediction Our Chances in the 2019 finals

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hope so, I'll be driving across from Dubbo Friday night so thurs or fri nights would bite. Gonna have a crew with me too which should be fun. When do tix go on sale?
Similar story here. Will be heading from the Bathurst/Orange region with a group of a dozen or so including a few newly converted Doggies. A few went for the first time last week and loved it. Really hoping for a Saturday timeslot.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks to the mod who renamed the thread just got home from Ballarat. To answer the new question I think we beat GWS and a be shot at beating the tigers or lions then who knows.

Last edited:

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I 99% sure we will be playing saturday twilight as it will be regarded as low lowest rating TV game. A big difference to 2016 prelim where it was second highest rating prelim in history.

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' stirring six-point win over Greater Western Sydney on Saturday has set a television ratings record.

The preliminary final, which was broadcast by the Seven Network and simulcast on Fox Footy, was the second-most watched game in AFL history outside of a Grand Final.

A viewership of 2.387 million, peaking at 3.65 million nationally, tuned in across free-to-air and pay television to watch the Bulldogs reach their first Grand Final since 1961.

League chief Gillon McLachlan said the pulsating final at Spotless Stadium was "a game for the ages".

"I'd like to again thank our partners for their outstanding coverage of our game and Seven's broadcasts have reached more fans than ever, while the Fox Footy ratings placed the Dogs-Giants game as the most-watched match in the channel's history," McLachlan said in a statement.

Only the Grand Finals and the 2007 preliminary final between Geelong and Collingwood, which drew 2.47 million viewers, have attracted larger audiences.

Just thought I'd update this to emphasise our form in the back half of the season. It's the AFL ladder based on games played since Rd 11:

Highest scoring team. Second best percentage. Third best overall, despite playing three games interstate.

The form side of the AFL.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Just thought I'd update this to emphasise our form in the back half of the season. It's the AFL ladder based on games played since Rd 11:

View attachment 733720

Highest scoring team. Second best percentage. Third best overall, despite playing three games interstate.

The form side of the AFL.
More insights in one post than the entire weekly cycle of footy shows will provide in the coming days. Thanks DW!

I can't commit to buying flights and tickets yet cause I'm not sure if I'll be playing in a Prelim Final. Hopefully I win through to the Grand Final this week, otherwise I'll be back the following week, which will clash with week one of the AFL finals.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
If it’s the Lions, do we play at the Gabba ? I can’t remember how it works
Yes, we will not be hosting any finals from 7th. Higher finishing team always hosts (noting that some years ago Brisbane were stitched up and didn't get this under the old contracts between AFL and certain grounds which guaranteed them a final each week, but those days are gone).

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes, we will not be hosting any finals from 7th. Higher finishing team always hosts (noting that some years ago Brisbane were stitched up and didn't get this under the old contracts between AFL and certain grounds which guaranteed them a final each week, but those days are gone).
I do love a night out in Brisbane.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Of course, how could I forget 16. That’s fair enough.

the dog's kennel

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2007
The Land of Baileys
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Note that if the Lions beat Richmond at the Gabba then we are looking at Melbourne finals every week after Week 1.

BulldogJake

All Australian
Jul 24, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don’t think we’re going to win the flag.

In 2016 we won 15 games and had our spot in the finals assured half way through the season. Much better team that season too. This season our last 8-9 weeks have been like playing finals, the bye will help but can’t see us winning 4 on the trot again. I hope to beat GWS then Richmond in a SF. After that I’ll take a PF loss as I’ll be very satisfied.

Also, our defence is very iffy and defences are what win you flags. We can get heavily scored against at times.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
Don’t think we’re going to win the flag.

In 2016 we won 15 games and had our spot in the finals assured half way through the season. Much better team that season too. This season our last 8-9 weeks have been like playing finals, the bye will help but can’t see us winning 4 on the trot again. I hope to beat GWS then Richmond in a SF. After that I’ll take a PF loss as I’ll be very satisfied.

Also, our defence is very iffy and defences are what win you flags. We can get heavily scored against at times.
I beg to differ, although we are 3 wins shy of the 2016 side, that to me was mainly due to an inconsistent young side starting off together and taking a bit to gell, which we did after the bye. Our midfield now is better, our forwards are better and our defence is a little less because of hamling only.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I beg to differ, although we are 3 wins shy of the 2016 side, that to me was mainly due to an inconsistent young side starting off together and taking a bit to gell, which we did after the bye. Our midfield now is better, our forwards are better and our defence is a little less because of hamling only.

And Boyd and Morris. And Wood was in better form.

the dog's kennel

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2007
The Land of Baileys
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The finals experience for the younger kids like Smith, Dale Naughty and Schache is going to be so valuable. We won’t win the flag, but if we win one final I will be stoked.

Same here - for me denying GWS a premiership is the 3rd biggest prize behind a Grand Final berth & victory. We must do it over and over again.

Ghenghis

Team Captain
Jan 31, 2012
Clifton Springs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
there is no other team
The finals experience for the younger kids like Smith, Dale Naughty and Schache is going to be so valuable. We won’t win the flag, but if we win one final I will be stoked.
That is the important one for me, winning week one.
Just the experience of playing finals for the first time will benefit the younger group but actually winning one and then getting a large final in week 2 in front of a huge crowd will get juices flowing for next year.
I'm a bit of a realist about our ultimate chances this year but whilst we are still in it, we're not out of it

I went to the Crows-Bombers game. It reminded me of too many of our games with the Crows missing goals and Essendon eventually made them pay. Aside from that, Crows obviously not impressive at all as they lack pace and fitness and we should beat them - although what's the bet Pyke resigns just before R23 to mess with us? Essendon were much faster, but we've had their measure ever since Bevo took over. Should defeat both!
I was right about something! BTW we were 15th after round 14; fantastic effort to climb 8 positions and over 17% in only 9 games!

Back