Roast Our Clearance Work has been Really Poor in 1st 6 Rounds

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
in 2018, average clearances per game:
Treloar 4.9
Pendles 5.2
Sier 3.9
That may well have been because Sier was playing less game time, but he certainly wasn't our best clearance player by a mile.

This year Sier has been injured - unrelated to the recruitment of Beams, who is still getting plenty of it so far. Talk of either Beams or Sidebottom as being on "thin ice" seems harsh? Steele seems to be playing a different role - and is still racking up the stats, if slightly less than last year.
Don’t baffle them with correct summations.

Sier does add something but he’s still injured, once fit and back, he’ll add a spice to the soup.
But even as much as I admire him, he’s yet to play games where he’s doing an Adams, Treloar dominating game.
It will come in time.

Totally agree, Beams and Sidebottom are so totally locked in and still contributing well enough.

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Treloar 4.9
Pendles 5.2
Sier 3.9
That may well have been because Sier was playing less game time, but he certainly wasn't our best clearance player by a mile.

This year Sier has been injured - unrelated to the recruitment of Beams, who is still getting plenty of it so far. Talk of either Beams or Sidebottom as being on "thin ice" seems harsh? Steele seems to be playing a different role - and is still racking up the stats, if slightly less than last year.
That was also Sier,s 1ST half season if I recall correctly,can you see any of our current midfielders getting the ball out with 2 or 3 hanging off them and still be strong enough to retain their feet only De Goey possibly and the correlation is they are both the same sort of size.

It may seem harsh to you but you need to look at Beams and Sidebotham closely to know both are barely ticking over,I want to see more than they are producing from my top line players.

I think a little misleading from you about Sier,s clearance work as opposed to players who have been playing anything up 15 yrs longer.

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

Sier does add something but he’s still injured, once fit and back, he’ll add a spice to the soup.
But even as much as I admire him, he’s yet to play games where he’s doing an Adams, Treloar dominating game.
It will come in time.

Totally agree, Beams and Sidebottom are so totally locked in and still contributing well enough.
He Does not baffle me with anything I see what I see with my own eyes maybe you should look a little closer rather than disparaging anyone who does.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Definitely need to rectify this.
Taylor Adams still finding touch after an injury interrupted pre-season.
Beams still learning patterns of teammates etc
It should get better with the level of personnel and talent we have in there especially since we have the most dominant ruck in the game.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
That was also Sier,s 1ST half season if I recall correctly,can you see any of our current midfielders getting the ball out with 2 or 3 hanging off them and still be strong enough to retain their feet only De Goey possibly and the correlation is they are both the same sort of size.

It may seem harsh to you but you need to look at Beams and Sidebotham closely to know both are barely ticking over,I want to see more than they are producing from my top line players.

I think a little misleading from you about Sier,s clearance work as opposed to players who have been playing anything up 15 yrs longer.
Misleading, really? You used the description "our best clearance player by a mile" - no qualification of age or experience. The clearance numbers provided showed that to be false. There was no suggestion that Sier's performance wasn't fantastic for his age. I can't wait for him to come back and play.

What numbers do you need from Beams and Steele to get them onto safer ground?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He Does not baffle me with anything I see what I see with my own eyes maybe you should look a little closer rather than disparaging anyone who does.
Not sure how you got “disparaging” but I guess I live and learn.

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Misleading, really? You used the description "our best clearance player by a mile" - no qualification of age or experience. The clearance numbers provided showed that to be false. There was no suggestion that Sier's performance wasn't fantastic for his age. I can't wait for him to come back and play.

What numbers do you need from Beams and Steele to get them onto safer ground?
Do you really believe that Sier was not our best clearance player from the time he was picked in the 2nd half of last season maybe not a mile but a definite 1500mtrs go back and review the games and then tell me I am seeing thing,the only other player to have that sort of dynamic effect was De Goey in the QB game.You also asked me what numbers I would like to see from Sidebotham and Beams it may not be theg numbers per se but effectiveness,Sidey only really has the Richmond game where he has played well this season sure he may be getting 23 or 24 touches and they have been underwhelming the same applies to Beams he had only 1 decent match so far.Grundy has been the dominant big man in every match he has played and it seems like unless he gets the clearance also we do not get 1 st use of the ball.L have never been in favour of bringing Beams back and if It means seeing less of Sier and actually losing him Iwould think it is a very poor decision.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
It was my post the other bloke was replying too and you replied as you did in an off hand and dismissive manner well maybe you do need to live and learn.
I think you’re being a bit precious.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
It would be worth occasionally having both Cox and Grundy in the centre square with Cox taking the tap.
As stupid as this sounds it actually isn't such a bad idea.
Grundy would become the greatest clearance mid in the comp.

Out: Grundy rucking
In : Grundy roving.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you really believe that Sier was not our best clearance player from the time he was picked in the 2nd half of last season maybe not a mile but a definite 1500mtrs go back and review the games and then tell me I am seeing thing,the only other player to have that sort of dynamic effect was De Goey in the QB game.You also asked me what numbers I would like to see from Sidebotham and Beams it may not be theg numbers per se but effectiveness,Sidey only really has the Richmond game where he has played well this season sure he may be getting 23 or 24 touches and they have been underwhelming the same applies to Beams he had only 1 decent match so far.Grundy has been the dominant big man in every match he has played and it seems like unless he gets the clearance also we do not get 1 st use of the ball.L have never been in favour of bringing Beams back and if It means seeing less of Sier and actually losing him Iwould think it is a very poor decision.
OK, since you asked, the answer is yes.

Sier debuted in Rd 15. Played every game from then on. Achieved 47 clearances at an average of 3.92. Extremely, astonishingly good for a debutant.

Over the same period, we had a certain S Pendlebury who had 77 clearances at an average of 6.4.

To be fair, the latter played around 80% TOG compared to Sier at around 60%. So even if you pro rata him back based on more oppportunities I still think I take Pendles. Maybe even by a mile.

Edit: the question of Beams' recruitment is related but separate to the OP. As far as our clearance work goes in 2019, and it being poor, maybe we can blame the unavailability of Sier. Fact is, the kid has effectively been unavailable. So another way to look at things is that maybe we have been lucky to have had Beams to cover the missing Sier?

cakewalk06

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bring out the Bear.
Maynard: But the Bear's sleeping.
Zed: Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?

Will be like having a De Goey in the middle and one up forward.

It will come in time.

That works because many spices do indeed have a thickening effect on sauces and soups.

I think that our clearance work this year has been ordinary at times, and our midfield has been underwhelming, but I'm not sure that we need to sound the alarm in relation to clearances too loudly just yet.

Yesterday was the first game this year in which we've lost both centre and stoppage clearances. Another point is that Essendon have actually been a really good clearance side this season, and they've actually won the total clearances (centre and stoppage) in all three of their losing games...including their pummelling against the Giants in round 1.

Still, I know that Sier would make a positive and immediate contribution in this area upon his return.

It would be worth occasionally having both Cox and Grundy in the centre square with Cox taking the tap.

That thought has crossed my Mind to try a few times

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
We’re supposed to have the best contested ball winnin midfield. Why don’t we just start as a 50/50 at all bounces and back ourselves to win it from there?

If we play off, they could have a 1 on 0 and get an easy clearance

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bring out the Bear.
Maynard: But the Bear's sleeping.
Zed: Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?

Will be like having a De Goey in the middle and one up forward.
Who’s Zed?

Zed’s dead. Zed’s dead.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
That works because many spices do indeed have a thickening effect on sauces and soups.

I’m always looking for the Iron Chef way forward.

And it keeps with the Buckley culinary theme.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Treloar 4.9
Pendles 5.2
Sier 3.9

listing numbers against players seems to be an inherently inaccurate way to determine whether a player is a "good clearance player". Clearances are a collective pursuit and one player doing their work well might enable other players to get the clearance.

plus.... you have no idea whatsoever what the coaches are asking each player to do in their roles.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grundy has surpassed Gawn now as the premier big man in the game so somehow we have to capitalise on it, I don't think ruck dominance is over rated, I jusst think most sides have good ball winners in close and we just need to come up with the right formula at stoppages where everyone is on the same page and then we will be unstoppable. We have the cattle, that's the hard part but we have that.

Jonno94

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
17th for clearances per game, yikes... The Power are 1st, we're going to get roasted on Friday.

Back