Our Current Back 6

king rising

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You're carrying on like a pork chop about it. What's this:

However it’s going to take us another 2-3 drafts of focusing on the back 6 to get the pieces, before another god knows how long to develop them.

Then

In your first paragraph, you’ve listed 13 “potential defenders”. Of those 13, only 3 have played consistently good football over an extended period in an AFL backline (McKay, McDonald & Corr). 2 of those 3 are 27+.

The other 10 are largely unknown/not good enough/not even debuted.

Do you realise that at some point after those two or three future drafts, those draftees you refer to will be in exactly the same situation the 13 "potential defenders" I've listed are right now, 18 months after we started the rebuild. You've also just assumed none of those "other 10" players I've mentioned are any good or will make it as defenders. Why?

Its obvious the club has been targeting athletic mobile HBFers who can use the ball well since 2019. Bonar, Perez and Bergman all fit that description, as does McGuiness. By many accounts Goater does as well. Young and Walker also have these traits. Even Atu is very mobile and has been effective attacking from the back half in his five or ten games for us. So the back six isn't non existent. Its one arsey MSD pick away from being set.
One arsey MSD pick away from being set? Some world you’re living in.

I have high hopes for Perez, Goater, Bergman & even Bonar. However it's far too simplistic to say "it's one arsey MSD pick away from being set". Those 4 need to be developed extremely well, into a defensive system that stands up together.

I don't share the same optimism for the likes of Young, Atu & McGuinness.

I think you're over simplifying the back 6 build.
You're the one who said it basically hadn't started yet.

But we have started. We have two long term KPDs, four young relatively untested guys who can learn off Hall plus Scott, Sleevo, Taylor and Thomas. Obviously it will take time to sort this out but we aren't starting from the next three drafts. Players from thre next three drafts may not be able to displace Perez, Goater, Bergman and Bonar.

Young, Atu and McGuiness are all speculative picks too, fourth round swaps and a Cat B rookie. If just one of them becomes a good player we've done well out of them. At this point none of them are write-offs either and all of them could develop into decent players. None of them have played 20 games yet. McGuiness probably hasn't played 20 VFL games.

You seem to think I think the backline is finished.

I think its a work in progress, not something that hasn't begun yet.

One arsey MSD pick away from being set? Some world you’re living in.
In the next three or four years we could have one extra KPD and just play the guys we already have and still end up with a backline made up of Bergman, Goater, Bonar, McGuiness, Perez, McDonald, Corr, McKay, CT, TT, Sleevo and no one else gets a look in. Even Hoare is a good player in that mobile HBFer/interceptor mode imo.

There were times against Footscray VFL when late in the game those first four players continually cut up the Footscray side moving the ball out of defense. It looked very different to our senior side I have to say and very promising for the future.

We're alot closer to that situation than we are to having no back six at all. Which was the context of my comment.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You're the one who said it basically hadn't started yet.

But we have started. We have two long term KPDs, four young relatively untested guys who can learn off Hall plus Scott, Sleevo, Taylor and Thomas. Obviously it will take time to sort this out but we aren't starting from the next three drafts. Players from thre next three drafts may not be able to displace Perez, Goater, Bergman and Bonar.

Young, Atu and McGuiness are all speculative picks too, fourth round swaps and a Cat B rookie. If just one of them becomes a good player we've done well out of them. At this point none of them are write-offs either and all of them could develop into decent players. None of them have played 20 games yet. McGuiness probably hasn't played 20 VFL games.

You seem to think I think the backline is finished.

I think its a work in progress, not something that hasn't begun yet.
How can I think both that the backline hasn't started, whilst also thinking that the backline is finished?

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That back 6 has more holes in it that Swiss Cheese.

At the moment you would think that McKay, Corr, McDonald (when Noble isn’t flipping him around) are there going forward, with 3 positions up for grabs.

Surely the Atu experiment is dead and buried and Young is too much of a liability down there to be a long term option.

We really need to find in the next 3 years another key back, a lockdown small and another dashing interceptor, plus depth if they are out.

At the moment you would think that McKay, Corr, McDonald (when Noble isn’t flipping him around) are there going forward, with 3 positions up for grabs.
Perez, Goater and a CHB to fill the remainder

With Bonar off the bench who can play on many types

Perez, Goater and a CHB to fill the remainder

With Bonar off the bench who can play on many types
Or Bergman. He was very good on the weekend.

(Altho at times I reckon I had Bergman and McGuiness mixed up. So he can play a bit as well.)

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Reread the comment.
Play on.

My position is really that we have 1 lock and multiple maybe's in our back 6. I don't share the view that one hit is going to fix everything. From a cattle perspective we need multiple hits, some of which may already be on the list, sure. However, it is a massive unknown & if Goater, Perez & Bergman don't come on, we are in all sorts.

The defensive system/structures are another issue all together.

Play on.

My position is really that we have 1 lock and multiple maybe's in our back 6. I don't share the view that one hit is going to fix everything. From a cattle perspective we need multiple hits, some of which may already be on the list, sure. However, it is a massive unknown & if Goater, Perez & Bergman don't come on, we are in all sorts.

The defensive system/structures are another issue all together.
I think we have three. McKay, McDonald and Corr. That makes a big difference to just one.

Structure and system is up s**t creek at the moment. That makes everything else look worse, but it doesn't help that system with the speed at which the ball comes in from dumb* turnovers. I think what we are doing on the backline is more of an issue than who we have there.

Based on the back half of last season attacking from the back half of the ground seems like an important part of where the team is headed. I think we are rotating guys like Scott thru there to see what we can uncover in terms of their ability to attack off half back. These are our potential young HBF options now - Arch jr, Atu, Bonar, Bergman, Goater, Hayden, McGuiness (could also play third tall,) Perez, Scott, Walker and Young. (We could also push Sleevo, TT, Taylor, Lazz and maybe even Powell thru there, his vision could really work off the HBF, but they are predominantly mids or forwards.)

Six of those young options are ooc this year so i expect them to either get played a bit to see what they've got, or they're already gone. Only Bonar, Perez and the draftees are definite for next year. I think McGuiness and Scott will get another gig. The rest really have to step up tho Atu and Young have given themselves a shot at another contract so far ... but there is still a way to go for them. Hayden's kicking is definitely an issue otherwise I'd expect he'd get another shot too.

Its a big if as to whether any of these eleven flankers amount to anything but at the same time some look like quality players who should make it barring unforseen shitness or circumstances. If its less than four then something is ****ed but if it is more than four we are in a good position. This is a work in progress and its really only been going for a couple of recruitment periods, ie 18 months.

And (back to the structure for a minute) while we are rotating guys thru to see what they have the system and structure will suffer. Its only when the selected side settles that systems will begin to click.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think we have three. McKay, McDonald and Corr. That makes a big difference to just one.

Structure and system is up s**t creek at the moment. That makes everything else look worse, but it doesn't help that system with the speed at which the ball comes in from dumbfu** turnovers. I think what we are doing on the backline is more of an issue than who we have there.

Based on the back half of last season attacking from the back half of the ground seems like an important part of where the team is headed. I think we are rotating guys like Scott thru there to see what we can uncover in terms of their ability to attack off half back. These are our potential young HBF options now - Arch jr, Atu, Bonar, Bergman, Goater, Hayden, McGuiness (could also play third tall,) Perez, Scott, Walker and Young. (We could also push Sleevo, TT, Taylor, Lazz and maybe even Powell thru there, his vision could really work off the HBF, but they are predominantly mids or forwards.)

Six of those young options are ooc this year so i expect them to either get played a bit to see what they've got, or they're already gone. Only Bonar, Perez and the draftees are definite for next year. I think McGuiness and Scott will get another gig. The rest really have to step up tho Atu and Young have given themselves a shot at another contract so far ... but there is still a way to go for them. Hayden's kicking is definitely an issue otherwise I'd expect he'd get another shot too.

Its a big if as to whether any of these eleven flankers amount to anything but at the same time some look like quality players who should make it barring unforseen shitness or circumstances. If its less than four then something is f’ed but if it is more than four we are in a good position. This is a work in progress and its really only been going for a couple of recruitment periods, ie 18 months.

And (back to the structure for a minute) while we are rotating guys thru to see what they have the system and structure will suffer. Its only when the selected side settles that systems will begin to click.
Yeah I suppose I'm looking at 2025 & beyond, which Corr & McDonald will be in their 30's for. We as a club will be 5 years into our rebuild by that point, likely to get whatever success we can over the proceeding 5 years. I'm really interested as to who are the plug ins to those 3 additional back 6 roles.

2025:
Unknown - McKay (27) - Corr (31)
Unknown - Unknown - McDonald (30)

2026:
Unknown - McKay (28) - Corr (32)
Unknown - Unknown - McDonald (31)

2027:
Unknown - McKay (29) - Corr (33)
Unknown - Unknown - McDonald (32)

2028:
Unknown - McKay (30) - Unknown
Unknown - Unknown - McDonald (33)

2029:
Unknown - McKay (31) - Unknown

2030:
Unknown - McKay (32) - Unknown
Unknown - Unknown - Unknown

Really emphasizes how important it is that Goater, Bergman & Perez come on.

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well said. My fav post I’ve ever seen
I can’t comment on the team anymore, I’ve had the stuffing taken out of me
I watch teams around us last year.. Collingwood, Adelaide and hawthorn all improve, some by a lot
Rarely does a first or 2nd year player north player make the competition notice their brilliance, seems to happen everywhere else
I watch other teams improve with envy.
We’d better hope the young high draft picks stick around.
Yet late last year fans of those teams were wishing they were us when the likes of Powell, Thomas, Phillips and LDU were being hailed as emerging players. Based on the 2nd half of last season, many on here were tipping us for finals. Improvement in performance isn't linear. There will be ups and downs in a rebuild.

WesternRoo

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2007
Wattleup Stadium
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Club Oz Cougars

Surely the Atu experiment is dead and buried and Young is too much of a liability down there to be a long term option.

We really need to find in the next 3 years another key back, a lockdown small and another dashing interceptor, plus depth if they are out.

We need more than 1 dashing rebounder, it's not the 90's.

Good teams can have guys that can nullify an opponent and also offer run and carry.

Ideally you need 1 lockdown tall (McKay) and 2 tall interceptors (Corr could possibly be one in a better team). The lockdown can be a handballer but the other two need to be able to kick and rebound.

You then need 3 skilled, quick rebounding ball users. 1 of those I concede would be more defensive and play closer to goal , but with ball in hand can hit targets run and create. We really don't have anyone like this except an ageing Hall. Perez probably us too, but he is on a wing. Hopefully Bergman and Goater.

roomagic1984

All Australian
Jun 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah I suppose I'm looking at 2025 & beyond, which Corr & McDonald will be in their 30's for. We as a club will be 5 years into our rebuild by that point, likely to get whatever success we can over the proceeding 5 years. I'm really interested as to who are the plug ins to those 3 additional back 6 roles.

2025:
Unknown - McKay (27) - Corr (31)
Unknown - Unknown - McDonald (30)

2026:
Unknown - McKay (28) - Corr (32)
Unknown - Unknown - McDonald (31)

2027:
Unknown - McKay (29) - Corr (33)

2028:
Unknown - McKay (30) - Unknown
Unknown - Unknown - McDonald (33)

2029:
Unknown - McKay (31) - Unknown

2030:
Unknown - McKay (32) - Unknown
Unknown - Unknown - Unknown

Really emphasizes how important it is that Goater, Bergman & Perez come on.
LMac turning into Benjamin Button in 2029? I like

Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bump time. Clarko knows a thing or two about building a crack defence - Lake and Gibson come to mind.

We got opened up late by a team who won 2 games last year. We can't persist with that same set up.

My ideal back six until Sheezel eventually migrates forward would be:

Bergman McKay Corr
Sheezel Logue Thomas

Great mix of speed, footskills and height.

In that set up, Corr's ability to play tall or small would be huge.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bump time. Clarko knows a thing or two about building a crack defence - Lake and Gibson come to mind.

We got opened up late by a team who won 2 games last year. We can't persist with that same set up.

Bergman McKay Corr
Sheezel Logue Thomas

Agreed, but I’m fairly certain Bonar will be squeezed in there as well.

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC

Bergman McKay Corr
Sheezel Logue Thomas

Definitely, we were too short and you really want to see Logue, McKay and Corr intercept marking.

Watched Port yesterday and it was similar to when Port smoked Geelong in a final a couple of years ago, Aliir Aliir dominated and was marking higher and higher up the ground.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Bergman McKay Corr
Sheezel Logue Thomas

Imo there is no “best back 6” that doesn’t have McDonald in it. Having McDonald there allows the likes of Sheez to free wheel a bit more.

There is some serious competition in the back 6 now. I’ve really rated Bergman’s and Goater’s progress but they have the likes of Arch, Tucker, Howe, Dawson, Corr, Young, Hall, Perez and even Drury knocking on the door.

I think the back 6 we seen yesterday will be vastly different to the back 6 we see later on in the year.

My best setup would be (assuming Arch comes on and can play that small lockdown role)

Archer, McKay, McDonald
Sheezel, Logue, Goater

Then have one of Ziebell/Bonar and Thomas rotating through there depending on match ups.

Back