Our Current Best 22-26

Remove this Banner Ad

Backs:

Grimes Tarrant Balta
Rioli Vlastuin Short

i/c: Broad

Emergencies: Mansell, Miller

Stable, adaptable, base covering defence, viable injury alternatives.

Mids:

McIntosh Martin(Dyer Medal) Stack
Nankervis Prestia Cotchin

i/c Soldo, Pickett

Emergencies: Collier-Dawkins, Ross, Ralphsmith

Strong, tough midfield with a nice dash of brilliance in there. Injury alternatives still developing but shouldn’t be too far away.

Forwards:

Edwards Riewoldt Lambert
Graham Lynch Bolton

i/c Baker

Emergencies: Castagna, Dow

Smart, hardworking, experienced, with the brilliance of Bolton/Martin.

Letting the new draftees find their feet in the VFL to start with, but happy to reward any excellent form by them, or inject them at points if we are looking a bit flat.

Mature alternatives: Caddy, Parker, Aarts. I don’t see this trio playing in the AFL team a lot, but the world can turn in funny ways, and they could be useful to have as backups.

Need to spend most or all the year in the VFL developing: Rioli Jnr, Colina, Ryan, Nyuon, Tyler, Banks, Gibcus, Brown, Clarke.

Tougher to categorise, will start VFL:

Martyn - looks a bit off the pace in his 2 AFL starts but looked good in VFL, 3rd year now, best long term prospects could be as a mature midfield relief player for us, but not prepared to make any definitive judgement on him yet.

Cumberland - love to see this guy further up the ground in the VFL and I think this will happen. Give him half a season there, let’s see what he can do, I have good hopes for him.

Overall, if the likes of Mansell, Castagna, Collier-Dawkins and Ross are not in the best 22 then we are looking ok. Let’s see how the 2 rucks looks with the stand rule. If no good, then Balta looks the best second ruck option, and it shouldn’t be too difficult to re-jig the backline to cover his position. I am not 100% sure about Stack on the wing but that can easily be re-worked with Pickett filling that role, Stack moving forward or back and one of Graham, Edwards, Lambert moving into the mid-section.

Predicted finishing position: 3rd - and we know how the story ends from there. 😁

Trade period:

Cotchin retires, in Tom Green for pick 18, 24(North second rounder) and future first with GWS second rounder back to us. We go to draft with two picks in the 30’s.

Other retirees: Riewoldt, Edwards.

Delist: Aarts, Parker, Caddy and one other to be announced by me at a later date.

Possibility of these predictions being entirely correct = zero
Expected variance = 15%

Last edited:
Many Castagna defenders not listing him as best 22.

Dont think its gone unnoticed.

So much for your loyalty. What say you?

Happy to respond to this.

I have been a Castagna supporter. I left him out of my best 22 though I picked him as my first alternative forward.

In regard to my position at least, your post is a bit silly. I am sure I am not the only one who would think this.

You are essentially taking our position in relation to whether he should be dropped in say rd 12 of the 2021 season and saying if we don’t maintain that position regardless of changing circumstances then we are being disloyal to Castagna.

For a start, good selection policy does not include allowances for loyalty. It is simply a matter of the best available team at any given time, based on all available information.

You might also have considered a few dynamic circumstances before making your post:

- Castagna’s form ostensibly dropped away late season.
- The game has changed due to rule changes, the effect of which on players like Castagna is still not able to be understood definitively.
- He was an incumbent triple premiership player in a team with loads of players missing and little available depth.

Castagna’s role seems to have required changing to suit the team’s new needs. As such, like others he may require a period of adjustment before we can be be more certain where he fits in the pecking order.

Some things won’t ever change for me about Castagna. He was a very useful part of our three Premiership teams. And him being kept in the team through most of 2021 was completely reasonable by the selectors given all the circumstances, remembering that D. Rioli was shifted to the backline, Rioli Jnr clearly wasn’t ready for AFL level, Stack needed to be played to advantage only when fully fit and then only in a role that gave him a decent chance to succeed, Cumberland needed to be kept away from AFL off a knee reco, players like Edwards, Lambert, Martin amongst others missed plenty of matches through injury.

Castagna probably has a ceiling at a bit above average for his position, but he has shown he can play, wouldn’t be on a big salary, and cannot be fairly subjected to a final judgement based on his 2021 season. I have him playing plenty of matches in 2022. 😁

B: Vlastuin - Tarrant - Grimes
HB: D.Rioli - Balta - Short
C: KMac - Prestia - Ross
HF: Bolton - Lynch - Lambert
F: Baker - Riewoldt - Stack
FOLL: Soldo - Graham - Martin
INT: Cotchin - Edwards - Broad - Nank - SUB: RCD
EMG: George, Parker, Ralphsmith

The good thing is theres no need for drastic change yet! Get a full injury-free season out of Martin, Vlastuin, Prestia, Soldo, Balta, Edwards, Lambert & Broad we're a totally different side, get another pre-season into Bolton, Stack, RCD, Ross, Dow, Ralphsmith & MRJ, we are still very dangerous.

Many Castagna defenders not listing him as best 22.

Dont think its gone unnoticed.

So much for your loyalty. What say you?
He was dropped during the 2021 season, so while he appears to be a coaches pet, it's not like his poor form went unnoticed.
At best he was on the fringe of the 22 for 2021, so it's not exactly earth shattering that he may not be considered best 22 for next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Vlastuin - Tarrant - Grimes
HB: D.Rioli - Balta - Short
C: KMac - Prestia - Ross
HF: Bolton - Lynch - Lambert
F: Baker - Riewoldt - Stack
FOLL: Soldo - Graham - Martin
INT: Cotchin - Edwards - Broad - Nank - SUB: RCD
EMG: George, Parker, Ralphsmith

The good thing is theres no need for drastic change yet! Get a full injury-free season out of Martin, Vlastuin, Prestia, Soldo, Balta, Edwards, Lambert & Broad we're a totally different side, get another pre-season into Bolton, Stack, RCD, Ross, Dow, Ralphsmith & MRJ, we are still very dangerous.

Idk if Ross can play wing to a high enough level - hope so

Last edited:
Idk if Ross can play wing to a higher enough level - hope so
Yeah that second wing position really is up for grabs. I'm throwing Ross there because I feel its a make or break year for him, put him in the B22, give him one position and keep him there, if he fails then at least we know. Dimma really has screwed up Ross's development.

He was dropped during the 2021 season, so while he appears to be a coaches pet, it's not like his poor form went unnoticed.
At best he was on the fringe of the 22 for 2021, so it's not exactly earth shattering that he may not be considered best 22 for next year

Mind you, it took 36 weeks for him to get dropped after about 15 straight poor ones.

Yeah that second wing position really is up for grabs. I'm throwing Ross there because I feel its a make or break year for him, put him in the B22, give him one position and keep him there, if he fails then at least we know. Dimma really has screwed up Ross's development.

I cannot see Ross making it as a winger, looks like a inside player and ground ball player to me at least partially. Wing simply would not suit his strengths so if its make or break on the wing I can't see it happening.

I have some time for Ross, I just don't think wing is his go and really it would be an exercise in futility not that I am the mother of all judges. If he can make it as a winger good luck to him, all the best, I just think you need to pick your battles and I cannot see wing suiting him. I would rather see him having a crack at a inside role with other options so, in my eyes, at least he gave himself the best chance and the best opportunity to improve our mix as a team combo.

To me his size and strength are his advantages as well as ground ball for someone his height. I just don't see any of these possible advantages that helpful in the wing position where in space other factors like reach, running power, speed, X-factor in space have more opportunity to make a difference

Last edited:
I cannot see Ross making it as a winger, looks like a inside player and ground ball player to me at least partially. Wing simply would not suit his strengths so if its make or break on the wing I can't see it happening.

I have some time for Ross, I just don't think wing is his go and really it would be an exercise in futility not that I am the mother of all judges. If he can make it as a winger good luck to him, all the best, I just think you need to pick your battles and I cannot see wing suiting him. I would rather see him having a crack at a inside role with other options so, in my eyes, at least he gave himself the best chance and the best opportunity to improve our mix as a team combo.

To me his size and strength are his advantages as well as ground ball for someone his height. I just don't see any of these possible advantages that helpful in the wing position where in space other factors like reach, running power, speed, X-factor in space have more opportunity to make a difference

Agree, Ross on a wing would be hard watching. If he were to play against Pickett on a wing, I wouldn't back him to win any more that 20-30% of the one on ones. He is not a good enough "1 on 1" player to compete there, and lacks a leap or overhead marking or speed to exploit an opponent. I'm really not sure what position he could possibly own outside of rediscovering that bull inside mid glimpse he gave us. With our influx of recruiting HBF's he is miles off that pack now. The only other position i think he could develop into is a Townsend-like hard tackling forward, or possibly a Caddy-esque forward. His biggest issue in making that work though he is an ordinary kick of the footy & hasn't shown any goal kicking nous.. Townsend worked in that role as he kicked 29.12 in 2017 & 2018. - & Caddy kicked a remarkable 46.15 in 2018. Jack Ross is 3.2 for his career - its a very small sample size, but his kicking motion doesn't look to lend itself to being a dead-eye

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back