Opinion Our Current Rebuild Will Ultimately Fail - Prove Me Wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

I have issue with people talking about Milera as a “s**t pick”. He was looking like AA standard just a few years back prior to the recurring injuries that have kept him on the sidelines. If you’re referring to “results based” then he’s more “a good pick crueled by recurring injuries.” He’s going to be somewhat rusty this year, but this is expected of someone coming back from long term injuries. A fit and firing Milera I have no doubts will fit snuggly in our best 22.
I can only recall 1 truly decent season from Milera and I don't think AA was ever a possibilty.

In defence he leaked goals, in the midfield he shirked contests and didn't run both ways and up forward he went missing. He is a player without a home. It is starting to look like a miss.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think it was ever going to succeed with the talent we have on the list. I think without Tex our results would be alot worse which is a bit frightening.

In some ways Tex playing so well is going to hurt us long term.

As per the other discussion I think the issue is after three years we appear to still have a number of players who we still can't categorically say if they will make it or not.

My other issue is I haven't seen many of our younger players improve. There are some glimpses but not much more than that.

I can only recall 1 truly decent season from Milera and I don't think AA was ever a possibilty.

In defence he leaked goals, in the midfield he shirked contests and didn't run both ways and up forward he went missing. He is a player without a home. It is starting to look like a miss.

Tend too agree, I think he was lucky to have his contract come up when it did.

31 of the 44 players on our list have played less than 50 games. Does that seem too early to judge? It sure as s**t does to me.
Depends on how long those 31 have been on our list.

If Davis is included etc then as noted it's an imbalance.

I don't want 5-6 year players at under 50 games unless you are back up ruck or like Milera have a LTI excuse

Wins/losses aside, what is worrying about this season is that some key young players who we need to be seeing improvement/growth from have either stalled or slipped backwards.

Thilthorpe, Schoenberg, Pedlar, Cook.

Early days for all of them of course and there's still more than half the season remaining but you'd want to see some positive signs from each of them in the second half of the season. At the very least you want them to finish 2022 ahead of where they finished 2021. At this stage they're all level or behind. No one has taken a step forward.

31 of the 44 players on our list have played less than 50 games. Does that seem too early to judge? It sure as s**t does to me.
Of course not, 10 games is enough to judge, even better if they haven't played any.

Strachen, Newchurch, Pedlar, Taylor, Parnell, Worrell and Nankervis are superstars, but McAsey, Murray, Fogarty, Jones, McHenry, Hately and Schoengerg should be delisted immediately.

Wins/losses aside, what is worrying about this season is that some key young players who we need to be seeing improvement/growth from have either stalled or slipped backwards.

Early days for all of them of course and there's still more than half the season remaining but you'd want to see some positive signs from each of them in the second half of the season. At the very least you want them to finish 2022 ahead of where they finished 2021. At this stage they're all level or behind. No one has taken a step forward.
Is Pedlar really behind? He's increased his disposals by 25%, and increased his tackles and goals per game.

Cook has played 10 games in total, 3 last year and 7 this year. That's not going backwards, but it's not all going to be upside.

Kids will need time to go back to the SANFL, work on somethings and get confidence. Just like Port have done with Duursma, WB are doing with JUH,, Cox at Essendon, McDonald at the Swans, Powell at the Roos, Stephens at the Swans, Robertson at Brissie...it's not that they are going backwards, it's that they need time to develop.

Harsh on Cook, but I agree on the other three

Pedlar - yes he was always going to take time, but has a midfielder that has taken three years to crack into a side ever turned out to be a high level player, like the one he hope he becomes?

Thilthorpe/Schoenberg - I still have hope for both of them, but damn, these are two we were hoping would take us to another level of competitiveness this year (even if that doesn’t quite mean finals yet). It’s great that Berry and a couple of others have stepped up, and Rachele has provided some good play early on, but continuity of development was really required from these guys (at least in my opinion, anyway)

We need the guys you’ve mentioned to take us to the next level. If we don’t see some fruits next year from these players, we should start to be reeeeally concerned

Is Pedlar really behind? He's increased his disposals by 25%, and increased his tackles and goals per game.

Cook has played 10 games in total, 3 last year and 7 this year. That's not going backwards, but it's not all going to be upside.

Kids will need time to go back to the SANFL, work on somethings and get confidence. Just like Port have done with Duursma, WB are doing with JUH,, Cox at Essendon, McDonald at the Swans, Powell at the Roos, Stephens at the Swans, Robertson at Brissie...it's not that they are going backwards, it's that they need time to develop.
Those players from other clubs you listed are all going poorly too

Cook finished 2021 in the team, he's now not in the team. Pedlar is at best on par with last season.

That's fine, it happens. But all four of them are at "need time to develop" rather than showing some signs of development?

Outside of those four players, what are the indicators that things have progressed from last season? Who's playing at a higher level than they were 2021?

Some decent midfield stuff from Berry. Apart from that I'm struggling to think of anything.

my point was that SANFL results are sometimes skewed. Frampton has had lots of good SANFL games but we all know he is a plodder at best when it comes to AFL level. my point is that we are grasping at straws. outside of Thilthorpe and Rachelle the crows dont have B+ to A+ players coming through. that is an indictment on the club after years of high picks.
You should only be interested in the youngsters coming though at the SANFL level, this is correctly how you should use the SANFL which we've always done. Our highest draft pick has been pick 7 so I'm not sure what you mean by "years of high picks". From were we finished on the ladder, Thilthorpe and Rachele were our highest pick with 1 and 4 which you've said will be quality. Are you counting these 2 as "years of high picks"????

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should only be interested in the youngsters coming though at the SANFL level, this is correctly how you should use the SANFL which we've always done. Our highest draft pick has been pick 7 so I'm not sure what you mean by "years of high picks". From were we finished on the ladder, Thilthorpe and Rachele were our highest pick with 1 and 4 which you've said will be quality. Are you counting these 2 as "years of high picks"????

The ****

Now you’re trying to tell people how to think in order to agree with your bizarre takes?

I was saying “like AA standard”. He was on the rise between 2018 and 2019. Hence why we gave him a lengthy 5 year contract extension. I also don’t recall too many hissy fits on here when the contract extension was announced, which was a sign the fans could mostly see his potential.
Here’s some of his highlights by 2019:

He has the pace and elusiveness to dodge most tackles. My favorite part was around 1:35 when he was in the middle of a ring of 7 Dees players, and somehow weaved his way through and got clear! Those kind of elusiveness I don’t think there’s any better currently in our club.

Bottom line, no way was he a s**t pick. Just s**t luck with essentially 2 seasons out doing rehab.

I think that it is hard sometimes to separate the person from the pick. Its like Davis, from all reports he is a great bloke who would give you the shirt of his back, great trainer and he makes a great brekkie. but sadly he is not a great footballer. Milleria in many respects is the same but the reality is that he isnt elite, he has shown glimpses and got my blood flowing a couple of times but there has never been a breakout game where he took a good team to task. think charlie cameron in the prelim final. you said "he will fit snuggly in our best 22" so what, a high rated draft pick will fit snuggly in a bottom four side, that shouldnt be the measure of success. This is the problem we as a club have we look to justify being crap at recruitment and development. one side argues that is recruitment while the other argues about development, but the results stay the same.
Your counter argument is by comparing Milera to Davis? Milera has already proven himself he belongs at AFL level. Davis has only proven himself at SANFL level.

“He will fit snuggly in our best 22” because to me, he has shown on many occasions he belongs and has eluded/beaten the best of opponents in contests. Not because “he only fits cos we’re shite”.

Pedlar - yes he was always going to take time, but has a midfielder that has taken three years to crack into a side ever turned out to be a high level player, like the one he hope he becomes?
Couple of handy Swans Jordan Dawson and George Hewett never made much impact at AFL level until their 3rd and 4th year?

He has the pace and elusiveness
to dodge most tackles. My favorite part was around 1:35 when he was in the middle of a ring of 7 Dees players, and somehow weaved his way through and got clear! Those kind of elusiveness I don’t think there’s any better currently in our club.

Bottom line, no way was he a s**t pick. Just s**t luck with essentially 2 seasons out doing rehab.
You sure it's a case of has not had at this point? This is not 2019 still.

Couple of handy Swans Jordan Dawson and George Hewett never made much impact at AFL level until their 3rd and 4th year?
Fair point. He still has time on his side, needs to work his way into the team on a more consistent basis next year, though

He’s 24 and had a near 2-years of rehab with only a recent return. Are you writing him off already?
I certainly want to see a lot more from him at the lower level before I get too carried away that he's on track to return to his previous pace and elusiveness as you call it.

Quicker decisions are needed. There are limited list spots and not enough to carry lots of players for 5 or more years to turn into flops In the words of an Experienced American recruiter interviewed when the draft was introduced the key to drafting is to admit your mistakes and move on
Also we need someone more current not a recruiter who is still drafting for when the average player was 15 cm shorter and 10 kg lighter

Last edited:
What is it in the way we develop players that a fair percentage seem to regress after their first year or twoI

I'm honestly flabbergasted at Harry Schoenberg and where he's at right now, but there are many other examples.
Are we Coaching their natural ability/instincts out of them?
If so, ,is this a normal step in development seen by most teams due to the unique nature of AFL level football, I,e workload, emphasis on athleticism, structures, gameplan etc?

2022 average age per team​

27.6 years – Geelong
26.6 – Richmond
26.3 – Brisbane
26 – West Coast
25.8 – St Kilda
25.7 – Collingwood
25.6 – Western Bulldogs
25.6 – Port Adelaide
25.5 – Greater Western Sydney
25.1 – Melbourne
25.1 – Gold Coast