Strategy Our Draft Board 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Would not be a draft if we didn't take a smokey when we have multiple first round picks. Players like Boak, Moore, Pittard, Marlon Motlop were not in the top 30 or so yet we took them. Some worked and some didn't. I can remember Emma Quayle writing that Port would take a guy called Jasper McMillan-Pittard at pick 16 in 2009 and everyone went Jasper who?

Watch for a smokey somewhere in the works.
Boak was a top 10 pick not an outside 30 smokey. I remember the first time I really took notice was when Burgatron - the offical AFL website draft guru for about 5 or 6 years, did his Mock draft a week or so before draft and had him going to Geelong at pick 7.

lol, when Boak was drafted to us I was watching the live blog of the draft so I had no audio or anything. I remember exclaiming "Who the * is Travis Bow-Ack?"

lol, when Boak was drafted to us I was watching the live blog of the draft so I had no audio or anything. I remember exclaiming "Who the **** is Travis Bow-Ack?"
I was so dirty we didn't get either Selwood or Mitch Thorp. Talk about sliding doors- one just happened to be a trap door to oblivion.

Would not be a draft if we didn't take a smokey when we have multiple first round picks. Players like Boak, Moore, Pittard, Marlon Motlop were not in the top 30 or so yet we took them. Some worked and some didn't. I can remember Emma Quayle writing that Port would take a guy called Jasper McMillan-Pittard at pick 16 in 2009 and everyone went Jasper who?

Boak was. He was tipped to go to Geelong at 7 that year (we were tipped to take Selwood at 5)
They were just flipped around...

[edit] - should've read the third page before posting. RBH beat me too it /[edit]

It'd be interesting to know how these boards work because say if you fill your need to use an example an inside mid then your board should change because the other inside mids automatically should be downgraded once you take that pick.

Do you think that they would use this type of fluid structure to the board

To be honest I think we should call Ben Jarman's name before Pick 40. You don't see clean hands like that a lot and has the habit of being in the right place at the right time. And if he is like his dad there will be massive improvement in his game aged 18-22. And the further benefit is watching the Cows squirm when they match the offer. I like Villis a lot and he should be on our radar.

lol, when Boak was drafted to us I was watching the live blog of the draft so I had no audio or anything. I remember exclaiming "Who the **** is Travis Bow-Ack?"

Mainly because we were widely tipped to take either Joel Selwood or Mitchell Thorpe. In 2006 the net traffic was probably not as prolific as it is today and most of us went with what was in the papers or on the TV and Boak's name was not prominent. Boak was definitely a bolt from the blue to those of us who do not hang on mock drafts etc. In fact for a couple of years many supporters were critical that we passed on Selwood at 6.

I often wonder had we taken Selwood and had he had the offer to return to Victoria would he have done a Dangerfield and returned home? I suspect he might, Boak stayed loyal so we made the right call in that respect. The Selwood siblings have a history of changing clubs.

Last edited:
To be honest I think we should call Ben Jarman's name before Pick 40. You don't see clean hands like that a lot and has the habit of being in the right place at the right time. And if he is like his dad there will be massive improvement in his game aged 18-22. And the further benefit is watching the Cows squirm when they match the offer. I like Villis a lot and he should be on our radar.

I have not seen Ben Jarman play but by all reports he is also a good kick at goal which is something we could use. He is also pretty short and the reports say he is not but that quick maybe his other attributes outweigh those deficiencies. I know it is not the priority but I agree that it would be nice to pick him and gazzump the Crows. I will be seeing Darren Jarman this week so I might ask where he thinks his son will go and where he would like to go.

Mainly because we were widely tipped to take either Joel Selwood or Mitchell Thorpe. In 2006 the net traffic was probably not as prolific as it is today and most of us went with what was in the papers or on the TV and Boak's name was not prominent. Boak was definitely a bolt from the blue to those of us who do not hang on mock drafts etc. In fact for a couple of years many supporters were critical that we passed on Selwood at 6.

I often wonder had we taken Selwood and had he had the offer to return to Victoria would he have done a Dangerfield and returned home? I suspect he might, Boak stayed loyal so we made the right call in that respect. The Selwood siblings have a history of changing clubs.

I know Thorp made it very known that he would be out the door asap if we picked him. I have a suspicion Selwood may have done similar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IIRC the outcry when we took Boak is that we should have taken James Sellars
Correct. I was at a dinner with John James (shudder) just prior to the draft where he said that there was a debate on this within the club and that they had decided to go for the best available player instead of a highly touted local prospect and were preparing for the inevitable blow back.

14 /17

Marshall / English whichever slides
Bolton
happy with Florent, Powell pepper, Berry for top two

30/31

Hayward (if there)
Clarke
happy with B. Cox, Sproule,Battle.

Late / rookie

Olongo / ladhams / Darcy
Stengle, Parfitt, Davis.

Last edited:
Correct. I was at a dinner with John James (shudder) just prior to the draft where he said that there was a debate on this within the club and that they had decided to go for the best available player instead of a highly touted local prospect and were preparing for the inevitable blow back.

I was told we had Sellar secretly tested and he had the heart lung capacity of a sick goldfish.

Can you tell me who will be gone .
It would be mid mid mid then kpp if any good ones are left.
I would love to get 3 off galluci. Florent. Clarke. SPP. Atley. Drew. Poholke. Berry. Probably a few more that i can't think of.
I do not want venables scharenberg graham and scrimshaw.
I would no bid on perryman in case we got him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back