Strategy Our Draft Board 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont see marshall being there and id rather take a better ball user or mid at 14/17 were there will be quality. No point taking a medicore tall just because theyre tall when next years draft is stronger for talls we can stop gap this year with eddy

If worst comes to wordt pick up b cox at 30 194cm swingman if we reeeeeally want to develop a tall put him forward he has scope

I don't see how we can afford to go mid, mid, mid, kpp given our list. We need a tall who can play forward. Marshall and English seem to be the only ones with any chance of being elite. Maybe Sproule but he goes to gws. It's a deep draft for mids so there should be some nice mids left at 30. Clarke is my fav for 30 but others like scharenberg, polkhorne, drew or maybe a slider. I'd love to have another couple of picks in the top 30 but you can't have them all. I just think it is easier to find a good mid than a good forward.

Ive been a huge and vocal advocate for drafting a KPF (Battle in particular) but lately ive been leaning towards taking 4 mids of various sizes and attributes, and then plugging the other gaps through the preseason/rookie draft (see the dedicated thread).

I know a few ppl might cringe at this but Darcy Cameron has shown that he can also play forward with 36 goals this year (he always did have a great pair of hands) and would be a good ruck/forward project. Physically he's a monster at 204cm/105kg and at only 20yo still has plenty of scope for development.

Brett Eddy is another 26yo KPF who could come straight in for Schulz and be a 3-4 year option while we draft and develop another kid next year.

Last edited:
I don't think we should be taking Marshall at 14.... or even 17 for that matter. Unfortunately we have put ourselves in the position of needing to have a (reasonably) successful season to make the deal of trading our 2017 first rounder seem acceptable. So with our first two picks we should be targeting 2 players that are ready to go and can immediately improve our 22, not a KPF that is going to take 2 years or more to come on. Might not be the best strategy and I don't necessarily agree with it but I don't see us having much choice as we can't afford to finish bottom 5 next year.

Agree with you here, if he slides to the next pick then id be happy taking him but ideally want to mids with those picks.

His ability to kick the ball to the opposition.

Que?

Perryman is a very good kick on both sides of his body.

Just a friendly reminder to all that judging a player entirely on one All Stars game where they're playing with a lot of teammates for the first time ever is not the best way to evaluate a player's potential.

Do
Kerr is a chance at 30. A lot of clubs will be put off by his lack of athleticism. I still don't see him getting to 30. Cox another who may get through to there. If sproule or garthwaite are there at 30 i would be bidding on both.
As i have said before three mids then a tall
I would also delist stewart and ahchee to give us extra picks for speculative talls.
Doesn't Ah Chee now have a contract trigger in place...so can't imagine him being delisted...O'Shea is a different proposition though?

I'd like to raise that English is no certainty to go be gone before 14 imo

Also
Personally
Too high
Bolton
Graham

Too low
Mutch
Drew

For first 2 picks I would go

English
Logue
Marshall

Then mids for rest of picks.

If all are unavailable

Best mid
Battle
Best Mid
Best Mid

The tall talent may not be as strong but because it isnt as deep we need to get the absolute best in the draft early then we can grab some of the many still good mid options that will be available

Id like to put forward a motion that we straight swap Venables and Powell-Pepper on the master board.

Powell-Pepper to 14, Venables to 20

For first 2 picks I would go

English
Logue
Marshall

Then mids for rest of picks.

If all are unavailable

Best mid
Battle
Best Mid
Best Mid

The tall talent may not be as strong but because it isnt as deep we need to get the absolute best in the draft early then we can grab some of the many still good mid options that will be available
Seriously?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curious to know what makes a "flanker" in your book. McGrath's a flanker, would u overlook him?
McGrath is a flanker who could easily play as an inside midfielder, and play it very well. If by some miracle he was still there at our pick, of course we should select him. Bolton is exciting at what he does, but he doesn't have the same scope to play as an inside midfielder.

Seems to me there are so many options for our first 2 picks just as though we steer clear of the 1 or 2 Jokers in the pack we are going to get a pretty decent player.

I'm surprised that SPP seems to have moved above Venables for a lot of posters on here - can I ask why?

I'm still very much in the Venables camp. They're similar sizes, both being just as explosive as each other, but Venables is a better kick and seems to always pop up in big game moments. I do like SPP a lot though and wouldn't be disappointed to get him, would just prefer Venables.

I'm surprised that SPP seems to have moved above Venables for a lot of posters on here - can I ask why?

He had a good All Stars game. That seems to be the reason.

I think both are pretty even to be honest. Both have good traits and some doubts as well. They are hard to seperate.

I'm still very much in the Venables camp. They're similar sizes, both being just as explosive as each other, but Venables is a better kick and seems to always pop up in big game moments. I do like SPP a lot though and wouldn't be disappointed to get him, would just prefer Venables.

Take em both i say!

Powell-Pepper had me when he backed himself to take a set shot from 60m in that all stars game. That kind of leg (from a set shot mind you) combined with the goal kicking score he posted at the combine... Big fan!

Last edited:
I've shuffled a few more picks based on suggestions and seeing some more film.

Contraversially, I've put Marshall up to the top of the list. Whilst it's impossible to compare a KPP to a mid, the remaining picks will net us 3 mids close in quality to who we pass over at 14. If we pass over Marshall at 14, there is a distinct drop off in quality Key Forwards after that. So Marshall and then 3 relatively equal mids is > 3 relatively equal mids then Kerr.

Mutch, Drew and Powell-Pepper (again) all rise by public opinion, Venebles and Simpkin fall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back