Analysis Our Drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

SPP maybe one dimensional but Berry is definitely not, I've seen Jarrod play Back, forward and mid all at a very high level in the previous 2 years, and whilst not as quick as Gallucci he's plenty fast enough and very gifted athletically with elite endurance. Won AA selection as an under ager playing as a running back for Vic Country.
SPP maybe one dimensional but Berry is definitely not, I've seen Jarrod play Back, forward and mid all at a very high level in the previous 2 years, and whilst not as quick as Gallucci he's plenty fast enough and very gifted athletically with elite endurance. Won AA selection as an under ager playing as a running back for Vic Country.

Do you reckon Brisbane would give him up for Cameron?

Do you reckon Brisbane would give him up for Cameron?
No chance IMO..

A 1st round 19 year old big bodied mid they've already extended for 2 years who's already played 8 or 9 games in his 1st year for a small forward with good defensive skills that shows glimpses of class.

Caleb Daniel is decent but he's not that good that he'd send us to the top of the ladder.

He's a handy link in the chain because he is skilful and smart with the footy - he'd be an upgrade on DMac due to this and not much more.

Defensively however - he is a liability. We criticise Mackay for his arm flailing "efforts" when trying to tackle but Daniel is just as bad, if not worse. He gets swatted away like a fly due to his size. You're severely overrating him.

Not everyone can be a Tex. We desperately need his ability to get the ball and use it well. These types of players are not there to throw their weight around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so when there is an opportunity like next years draft where there is three SA kids primed for the top 10 or even 5 would you want our club to go all out to get the draft picks needed to get one, or just accept that we never get a chance at them and so we just draft the next Geelong local kid?
Try to get the picks needed to draft good SA talent I say.

Do you draft continuity or does that need to be traded in? It's obvious we don't have enough, so someone is letting us down.
Do we even need to draft or trade? Just keep going with the same guys. No one from the 22 is retiring so no spots available.

Scharenberg playing well for Glenelg. Meanwhile, Signorello can't get a kick for our 2's
Signorello was always going to take time coming off a shoulder reco at the end of the TAC season, that along with a managed pre-season. Scharenberg was passed over by every club in both the National and Rookie draft, were they all wrong or just us??

If not for us, would Signorello have been picked?
On what I saw in person, absolutely, one particular game I saw here at Eureka Stadium he had 30+ disposals for the Northern Knights against a Rebels midfield that boasted 1st round picks in Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, 2nd round pick Willem Drew and 4th round pick Tom Williamson. Signorello was certainly best on for the Knights that day and probably 2nd best on the ground after McCluggage to my eye, incidently Lachie Murphy who is also playing SANFL for us was probably next best for the Knights that day. Talking to one of the Knights support guys earlier in the season apparently we are re-programming Signorello from a see ball, get ball midfielder into a more outside player where he can use his pace, elite endurance and link up skill which I find a bit strange given his natural ability in close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you like to use hindsight in a system with a known element of unpredictability, then yes. In that case I'm sure we should be fielding a team full of All Australian's.
The Doedee/Burton debate isn't quite like all the other "imagine if we'd picked player X over player Y" discussions all supporters of every club have though. We picked a player universally regarded by draft watchers as about a third round pick ahead of a local lad regarded as a potential top 5 pick prior to his injury. He had very strong connections with the club and was widely considered to be very much on our radar. There was always going to be extra chatter regarding the choice.

I think had we just played a straight bat and gone with another player expected to go top 20, there might still be debate but not nearly the same level over Doedee.

Anyhow, here's hoping Doedee becomes something for us. Am still hopeful he can make it, but watching Burton on Thursday made me a tad sad... Particularly as an old North fan who still remembers his dad kicking our only goal in the 1989 GF... good times.

. Talking to one of the Knights support guys earlier in the season apparently we are re-programming Signorello from a see ball, get ball midfielder into a more outside player where he can use his pace, elite endurance and link up skill which I find a bit strange given his natural ability in close.
It's weird we do that. Trying to turn Wigg into an inside midfielder and turn Siggo into an outside one.

On what I saw in person, absolutely, one particular game I saw here at Eureka Stadium he had 30+ disposals for the Northern Knights against a Rebels midfield that boasted 1st round picks in Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, 2nd round pick Willem Drew and 4th round pick Tom Williamson. Signorello was certainly best on for the Knights that day and probably 2nd best on the ground after McCluggage to my eye, incidently Lachie Murphy who is also playing SANFL for us was probably next best for the Knights that day. Talking to one of the Knights support guys earlier in the season apparently we are re-programming Signorello from a see ball, get ball midfielder into a more outside player where he can use his pace, elite endurance and link up skill which I find a bit strange given his natural ability in close.

Some players struggle when having to compete in senior footy against junior level it's a lot more physical

May take a year or two to get used to that physicality

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some players struggle when having to compete in senior footy against junior level it's a lot more physical

May take a year or two to get used to that physicality

3 of the 4 Rebels players I mentioned McCluggage, Berry and Williamson he played against that day are playing regular AFL in their 1st season and Willem Drew's last couple of SANFL games for the Port Magpies suggest he's getting closer. I think it may be more to do with coming off a shoulder reco and a heavily "managed" pre-season, probably needs to bulk up a fair bit too. Didn't lack physicality the 4 or 5 times I saw him play, probably the exact opposite.

The Doedee/Burton debate isn't quite like all the other "imagine if we'd picked player X over player Y" discussions all supporters of every club have though. We picked a player universally regarded by draft watchers as about a third round pick ahead of a local lad regarded as a potential top 5 pick prior to his injury. He had very strong connections with the club and was widely considered to be very much on our radar. There was always going to be extra chatter regarding the choice.

I think had we just played a straight bat and gone with another player expected to go top 20, there might still be debate but not nearly the same level over Doedee.

Anyhow, here's hoping Doedee becomes something for us. Am still hopeful he can make it, but watching Burton on Thursday made me a tad sad... Particularly as an old North fan who still remembers his dad kicking our only goal in the 1989 GF... good times.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think we are simplifying it a bit. The unpredictability here was his injury and if it would impact his career. This makes it a risk and reward scenario and you have to draw a line somewhere? They are not able to predict this result 100%.

You can use Omeara at the Hawks as a good example of how hindsight is wonderful.

The rating of Doedee in the draft is folly imo. If we rated him there but we couldn't snag him later on as he'd be gone, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to a recruiter who kept tabs on greenwood for years (not to mention the rest of his record).

Interesting discussion.

But we don't have a key piece of informaion: what was the medical report on Burton? (Was it an injury like Hentchell's? )

Post Tippett, after losing 2 years of picks we needed to get the last couple of years right. Ogivlie has blown 3 x 1st round draft picks in the last 2 years.

2019 draft looking like a SA gold mine with a few top talents in between now and then. I can't see us winning a premiership with this team and with the way the giants , Melbourne and Carlton in the next few years, cant see us getting near them. Wouldn't mind having to take a few steps back to go forward.

Post Tippett, after losing 2 years of picks we needed to get the last couple of years right. Ogivlie has blown 3 x 1st round draft picks in the last 2 years.

Milera gee second year in goes ok can see him succeeding Doedee well he is a so so third rounder and Galluci not going to be superstar but could be a VB type

Remove this Banner Ad

Back