Analysis Our Drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 draft looking like a SA gold mine with a few top talents in between now and then. I can't see us winning a premiership with this team and with the way the giants , Melbourne and Carlton in the next few years, cant see us getting near them. Wouldn't mind having to take a few steps back to go forward.
2019??

2018 is the Super Draft unless you know something we don't at this stage?

When talking Doedee you can't just compare him with Burton , you have to judge him on his merits

His day is getting closer but for now we don't know - could be a very good player but we don't know yet until he gets enough football injury free and some AFL exposure

Signs are positive however

You can't judge a a player you drafted only according to one you may have missed

Eg otherwise we'd be saying Talia is a failure because we could have taken Fyfe who is a Brownlow medallist when Talia isn't

Marty is just being a pest because he finally got one right

after all he had sharenberg ahead of Hayward and as a 1st rounder and first SA kid selected

If we'd drafted Burton and Hayward would we be playing them?

I don't think we would.

I don't think there's a problem with our drafting. Gallucci took a better grab in his debut than all our players except McGovern have taken in their entire career. I heard Tom Lynch speak last year and he was raving about Doedee.

The problem is we don't get them in the team. We are too hung up on continuity, rewarding tenure, valuing experience and being seduced my our 6th-8th placed reasonable performances.

The problem for 10+ years is that we do not use spots 21 and 22 in our team to help develop and fast track our raw talent. We use Mackay and Wright and Skipworth and Kelly or whoever to fill those spots. We pay no mind to developing the next star player. They sit in the reserves until 'they are ready' whenever that is.
If I was Hamish I'd be fuming for many reasons and I'd be saying - trust me guys , give Wigg a debut , play Doedee and Galluci when they have continuity etc etc

Surprised he still bothers working at AFC

When talking Doedee you can't just compare him with Burton , you have to judge him on his merits

His day is getting closer but for now we don't know - could be a very good player but we don't know yet until he gets enough football injury free and some AFL exposure

Signs are positive however

You can't judge a a player you drafted only according to one you may have missed

Eg otherwise we'd be saying Talia is a failure because we could have taken Fyfe who is a Brownlow medallist when Talia isn't

Marty is just being a pest because he finally got one right

after all he had sharenberg ahead of Hayward and as a 1st rounder and first SA kid selected

Hahahaha of course you compare

Remember THE PAV

This one is worse though

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hahahaha of course you compare

Remember THE PAV

This one is worse though

So 13+ clubs f arked up their draft ?

Let's see what Doedee becomes first , you've gone early here

Burton may be retired early if he cops a knock and Doedee might play 250 games

I suggested Hayward and PP with our 1st rounder last year but I'm not dancing on tables , plenty to unfold

Show some humility , it will help when you make your next sh1t call like shareneberg

There is no doubt we've done unbelievably well in terms of trading and drafting given the lack of picks and players we've lost but there are concerns.

We seem to have placed too much emphasis on character, by that I mean, we've focussed on picking nice boys.

What happens when you have a bunch of nice boys? You play nice football. Bicks made a good point yesterday. It's either in your DNA or it isn't to be a competitor, to throw yourself in, to have some mongrel.

We've got some competitors but no mongrels. Our competitors are:

Greenwood
Lever
Sloane
Knight
McGovern
Brad Crouch
Kelly

Don't get me wrong the rest try and I may have missed some, but the others just play nice football.

No one in that list has mongrel though. To push an shove an opponent. To stick up for a mate. To hit someone bloody hard when you've got the chance. Well maybe Greenwood might, a 5 gamer.

FFS our women's team tackle and go in harder. That's not meant to be disrespectful but physically our men's team have been playing this game at the highest level for years and the women one year.

Then on to specific recruiting. Look this has been covered and Doedee might turn out to be a good player, but the non-selection of Burton was an absolute shocker. The kid is a gun already. He's not stuck in the twos waiting to see if he'll make it. He's gunning it at afl level and just gave our captain a bath.

My brother wasn't at the game and he sends me a text before half time that Burton is killing Tex. Then Tex bombs that 60 metre goal and I respond yeah but Burton can't do that. He replied not yet he can't but wait. Well we didn't have to wait long.

Doedee was a left field selection, a punt on someone developing into a good player. We went early because that's all we had pick wise. Well if you're going to have a punt have a punt on the local child prodigy. Yeah he may have had a bad injury but it worked okay for Lever and Trengove. That's how you get a bargain and that's what Burton would have been.

As for this year. We picked Galluci who seems like Douglas mark II. Dinky kicks, no penetration. Again he's stuck in the reserves. When will he actually start playing regular footy? 2019??

Meanwhile, Hayward has been playing all year for the Swans. He's a talent and will with his development this year be a gun in 2018. I saw him push around a Bombers player yesterday despite being a twig really. He has that competitvness.

We've picked two players that might make it and might also go home and ignored two local very talented players, both who have made it already and would not be flight risks.

We need to stop being cute with our drafting and not ignore the obvious.
Honestly, our recruiting since Ogilvie took over is heavily Vic biased. It has worked a few times, but the last two years have been disgraceful

Honestly, our recruiting since Ogilvie took over is heavily Vic biased. It has worked a few times, but the last two years have been disgraceful
Milera is from SA

Too many vics but last 2 yrs disgraceful including Milera ?

Massive contradictions here

You do realise SA talent has been poor ?

So 13+ clubs f arked up their draft ?

Let's see what Doedee becomes first , you've gone early here

Burton may be retired early if he cops a knock and Doedee might play 250 games

I suggested Hayward and PP with our 1st rounder last year but I'm not dancing on tables , plenty to unfold

Show some humility , it will help when you make your next sh1t call like shareneberg

Don't stress I think they will re sign Doedee will be a minimal wAge considering his return so far unless he wants to leave

If he was to leave what do you think a club would trade if anything at all

If I was Hamish I'd be fuming for many reasons and I'd be saying - trust me guys , give Wigg a debut , play Doedee and Galluci when they have continuity etc etc

Surprised he still bothers working at AFC
It ends up reflecting poorly on him.

I imagine there's some robust debate down there at the moment. The recall Thompson/Mackay crew versus the play the Draftees crew

Milera is from SA

Too many vics but last 2 yrs disgraceful including Milera ?

Massive contradictions here

You do realise SA talent has been poor ?
Yep, happy with Milera. But he was UNDOUBTEDLY best available where we took him IMO.

SA talent was poor... Right, that's why Hayward and Burton are such spuds compared to Doedee and Gooch

Don't stress I think they will re sign Doedee will be a minimal wAge considering his return so far unless he wants to leave

If he was to leave what do you think a club would trade if anything at all

You got no cred when speaking re Doedee

He's been heavily injury plagued with knee tendinitis and hasn't done a full pre season yet , but has performed very well and consistently at sanfl level

His time will come next season, but he will likely debut this year

What about you show some restraint , humility , maturity etc etc and wait until then. If he's no good then just call him a dud and make you big song and dance re Burton

If he becomes a 7/10+ player you're gonna look like an idiot .... again !!!

... The rating of Doedee in the draft is folly imo. If we rated him there but we couldn't snag him later on as he'd be gone, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to a recruiter who kept tabs on greenwood for years (not to mention the rest of his record).

Due to the state of our list's contracts, we really could only fit two picks from the main draft that year so Doedee was our last pick in the main draft.

They would have had to make much earlier list/contract decisions if they wanted to have more picks in the main draft. Remember while we traded out Voldemort & Kerridge, we also brought in Hampton, Seedsman, Menzel, Gore and we rookie elevated Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, happy with Milera. But he was UNDOUBTEDLY best available where we took him IMO.

SA talent was poor... Right, that's why Hayward and Burton are such spuds compared to Doedee and Gooch
I had Hayward as the guy we should draft in my posts last year , but he did come late and they'd done a lot of work on Galluci maybe 2-3 years and were impressed with the package

It's way too early to make a call despite Hayward looking like being a gun

As for Burton - it was a risk or reward thing based on medical advice , I can understand a doctor ruling that out ... then I can understand recruiters listening to medical advice

Also - let's see how Doedee goes , if he becomes Stratton or Easton Wood like , it's still a good pick . Patience my friend

You got no cred when speaking re Doedee

He's been heavily injury plagued with knee tendinitis and hasn't done a full pre season yet , but has performed very well and consistently at sanfl level

His time will come next season, but he will likely debut this year

What about you show some restraint , humility , maturity etc etc and wait until then. If he's no good then just call him a dud and make you big song and dance re Burton

If he becomes a 7/10+ player you're gonna look like an idiot .... again !!!

Doedee should have been a third rounder he might be a 7/10 player

But when we had an opportunity like it was written up in the tiser this morning of getting a potential gun SA lad you take it with both hands

Hamish didn't agree though

Hindsight is a great thing when it suits your agenda...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/d4f16c1557009efed34168a416288568

North Adelaide forward Ryan Burton’s horrific leg injury makes him one of the draft’s biggest question marks

But his leg and knee were so badly mangled — the kneecap had been dislocated, the tibia shattered and there was ligament and cartilage damage — that there were early fears that he might not be able to run again, let alone play football.

The surgeon who operated on Burton, former Crows rover Matthew Liptak, said he had sustained injuries seen more often in motorcycle accidents than on a football field.

Hindsight is a great thing when it suits your agenda...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/d4f16c1557009efed34168a416288568

North Adelaide forward Ryan Burton’s horrific leg injury makes him one of the draft’s biggest question marks

You forgot to highlight burton said he felt better once he was training and stronger than before he had even done the injury

And going on what he has achieved he wasn't lying

There is no doubt we've done unbelievably well in terms of trading and drafting given the lack of picks and players we've lost but there are concerns.

We seem to have placed too much emphasis on character, by that I mean, we've focussed on picking nice boys.

What happens when you have a bunch of nice boys? You play nice football. Bicks made a good point yesterday. It's either in your DNA or it isn't to be a competitor, to throw yourself in, to have some mongrel.

We've got some competitors but no mongrels. Our competitors are:

Greenwood
Lever
Sloane
Knight
McGovern
Brad Crouch
Kelly

Don't get me wrong the rest try and I may have missed some, but the others just play nice football.

No one in that list has mongrel though. To push an shove an opponent. To stick up for a mate. To hit someone bloody hard when you've got the chance. Well maybe Greenwood might, a 5 gamer.

FFS our women's team tackle and go in harder. That's not meant to be disrespectful but physically our men's team have been playing this game at the highest level for years and the women one year.

Then on to specific recruiting. Look this has been covered and Doedee might turn out to be a good player, but the non-selection of Burton was an absolute shocker. The kid is a gun already. He's not stuck in the twos waiting to see if he'll make it. He's gunning it at afl level and just gave our captain a bath.

My brother wasn't at the game and he sends me a text before half time that Burton is killing Tex. Then Tex bombs that 60 metre goal and I respond yeah but Burton can't do that. He replied not yet he can't but wait. Well we didn't have to wait long.

Doedee was a left field selection, a punt on someone developing into a good player. We went early because that's all we had pick wise. Well if you're going to have a punt have a punt on the local child prodigy. Yeah he may have had a bad injury but it worked okay for Lever and Trengove. That's how you get a bargain and that's what Burton would have been.

As for this year. We picked Galluci who seems like Douglas mark II. Dinky kicks, no penetration. Again he's stuck in the reserves. When will he actually start playing regular footy? 2019??

Meanwhile, Hayward has been playing all year for the Swans. He's a talent and will with his development this year be a gun in 2018. I saw him push around a Bombers player yesterday despite being a twig really. He has that competitvness.

We've picked two players that might make it and might also go home and ignored two local very talented players, both who have made it already and would not be flight risks.

We need to stop being cute with our drafting and not ignore the obvious.

I remain to be convinced that Hayward and Burton wouldn't be playing SANFL if we'd selected them.

I remain to be convinced that Hayward and Burton wouldn't be playing SANFL if we'd selected them.

Hayward wouldn't get a game ahead of McGovern or Otten. Burton wouldn't get a game ahead of those guys (if played forward) or any of our defenders including Kelly, Cheney and Douglas playing half back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back