Opinion Our draw/Player management

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
In a good place
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NBA Winning Machines/Dallas Cowboys
When the draw came out last year it looked like and has been commentated on as the hardest on paper, now 6 rounds and at 4-2, a few things are really starting to look full of opportunities.

Most people would agree we limped badly into the finals last year whilst geelong was smarter and rested players any opportunity they got, and the won the flag.

These are my thoughts

we need to be fielding our best available side for the next 3 weeks against Brisbane,geelong and Adelaide

Then comes the

Round 10 Gold Coast @ Home(rest Pendles/reid/dawes/Sidebottom?
Round 11 Melbourne @ Home (rest Beams/swan/Jolly/Brown?
round 12 Bye

these are hypothetical choices which are also dependent on match-ups and any other injuries occurring.

This will give us the chance to rest quite a few players before a tough schedule of where we pick our best possible team. Players like swan and Jolly get 2 weeks off which will be invaluable.

Round 13. West Coast @ MCG
Round 14. Freo @ MCG
Round 15. Carlton @ MCG
Round 16. Geelong @ MCG
Round 17. Hawthorn @ MCG

Then a Chance to rest a few players again against the GWS at Skoda in round 18 who will be broken by that part of the season.

You can call it disrespectful, I don't care, its smart player management and we need to look at the bigger picture i.e winning a flag . Carlton did it with Judd and Waite this week.

It will also help having fresher players like Thomas,didak,tarrant coming in and getting match fitness as well as giving more games to players like Paine, Ugle and Seedsman. Witts could even snag a first game to give him AFL experience against either Gold Coast or more likely GWS(His hometown)

what are your thoughts?What should the club be considering over this period?what would you do ?

Re: Our draw/Player mangement

When the draw came out last year it looked like and has been commentated on as the hardest on paper, now 6 rounds and at 4-2, a few things are really starting too look full of opportunities.

Most people would agree we limped badly into the finals last year whilst geelong was smarter and rested players any opportunity they got, and the won the flag.

These are my thoughts

we need to be fielding our best available side for the next 3 weeks against Brisbane,geelong and Adelaide

Then comes the

Round 10 Gold Coast @ Home(rest Pendles/reid/dawes/Sidebottom?
Round 11 Melborne @ Home (rest Beams/swan/Jolly/Brown?
round 12 Bye

these are hypothetical choices which are also dependent on match-ups and any other injuries occurring.

This will give us the chance to rest quite a few players before a tough schedule of where we pick our best possible team. Player like swan and Jolly get 2 weeks off which will be invaluable.

Round 13. West Coast @ MCG
Round 14. Freo @ MCG
Round 15. Carlton @ MCG
Round 16. Geelong @ MCG
Round 17. Hawthorn @ MCG

Then a Chance to rest a few players again against the GWS at Skoda in round 18 who will be broken by that part of the season.

You can call it disrespectful, I don't care, its smart player management and we need to look at the bigger picture i.e winning a flag . Carlton did it with Judd and Waite this week.

It will also help having fresher players like Thomas,didak,tarrant coming in and getting match fitness as well as giving more games to players like Paine, Ugle and Seedsman. Witts could even snag a first game to give him AFL experience against either Gold Coast or more likely GWS(His hometown)

what are your thoughts?What should the club be considering over this period?what would you do ?

I wouldn't be resting to many against the GC, they were fantastic last night and are improving every week.

2 weeks off is enough. melbourne and bye.

I'd think they would rest our better players for the games that should be easy anyway such as Gold Coast, GWS and Melbourne. I think they are doing much better with injured players as well. Even though Didak is playing some good footy, the club is still being cautious with him and that's a good thing. Get as many games under his belt in the VFL and when he's right to go, bring him in. Last year he would have already been playing and would have been crap like he was last year. The lesser games are also a good chance to bring in some younger talent and really test them out.

Will there be a mid year group trip to Arizona this year?

Whispers around that MaCaffer and Krakouer have started running again, and that Caff especially is being considered for a trip to Arizona mid year.

Surely Swanny would go too after what happened last year after he got back?

If we sent them the day after the Gold Coast match, they would have about 17-18 days to return and still be able to prepare for the Eagles game after the bye.

My candidates for an Arizona mid year trip would be;

Johnson (depending on the severity of the shoulder injury)
Swan
MaCaffer
Harry (he needs something to break him out of his bad form)
Marty Clarke (a break and he'll come back better then ever)
Dawes (very physical first half of the season for him playing ruck/forward)

And then maybe 2-3 more to complete a group of about 7-8 who go on a 2 week trip.:)

Haha, I guess that answers that then, ignore my post above.:p

Maybe we can send them to Sorrento like St Kilda do in the pre season.:eek::p

I still think we should consider resting players after the Gold Coast game, we have a tough few weeks coming up (2 interstate trips and the Geelong game in between) and then we have a bloody tough draw after the bye.

Haha, I guess that answers that then, ignore my post above.:p

Maybe we can send them to Sorrento like St Kilda do in the pre season.:eek::p

I still think we should consider resting players after the Gold Coast game, we have a tough few weeks coming up (2 interstate trips and the Geelong game in between) and then we have a bloody tough draw after the bye.

LOL.
I like the OP post, seems like a good mix.

Will there be a mid year group trip to Arizona this year?

Whispers around that MaCaffer and Krakouer have started running again, and that Caff especially is being considered for a trip to Arizona mid year.

Surely Swanny would go too after what happened last year after he got back?

If we sent them the day after the Gold Coast match, they would have about 17-18 days to return and still be able to prepare for the Eagles game after the bye.

My candidates for an Arizona mid year trip would be;

Johnson (depending on the severity of the shoulder injury)
Swan
MaCaffer
Harry (he needs something to break him out of his bad form)
Marty Clarke (a break and he'll come back better then ever)
Dawes (very physical first half of the season for him playing ruck/forward)

And then maybe 2-3 more to complete a group of about 7-8 who go on a 2 week trip.:)
I thought the Caff and Kraks were not coming back this year?

I thought the Caff and Kraks were not coming back this year?
Massive chance to return, Caff and Krak did their knee around the same time as Nathan Brown did his last year, and if Nate didn't crack his kneecap open in Arizona mid year, he would have at least played VFL, and probably AFL late in 2011.

Caff is ahead of Krak by all reports, but both are a chance to be back in the VFL by July apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back