Opinion Our Fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard the crowd on a number of occasions completely deflate when a 50/50 call went against us. Or even a blatant call that we should have got, be called play on

I was disappointed in the noise of the crowd, but it had its moments. Really ***** pissed to see so many trash eagles supporters there with tickets. You should be ashamed of yourself if you’re a freo supporter and have / sold it to a weagle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't usually bag the umps but some of those calls were momentum killers and obviously ours but went against us. Add to that misses in front of goal for Tabs and Lobb that just can't keep happening.

The Eagle fans I talked to had all bought Freo memberships, we needed them to survive.

Optus stadium is a beautiful stadium but I feel because we don’t fill it we don’t feel comfortable to be our normal vocal selves. I don’t think we can create the same cauldron feel we did at Subi.

That coupled with things not working out under Ross over the last few years I think our fans are a bit disengaged.

It's insane just how many of our members are eagles supporters first.

There’s something very wrong if a good percentage of our membership are WC supporters.

Excuse the intrusion lads, but I thought this was well known? A lot of West Coast supporters are unable to secure memberships at our side so they grab Freo ones to be able to attend the footy. You can usually pick em out at derbies because they're in schmiko seats and you never see really see em vs interstate sides.

Optus stadium is a beautiful stadium but I feel because we don’t fill it we don’t feel comfortable to be our normal vocal selves. I don’t think we can create the same cauldron feel we did at Subi.

That coupled with things not working out under Ross over the last few years I think our fans are a bit disengaged.

This is the type of psychology I'm after. Yes playing poorly for years can be an issue, but there's something about this giant stadium that spooks the purple parade. It's kinda like when you go to a grand final at the MCG and you sit in awe of the expansive surroundings, whereas for Vics congregating at the Melbourne cup, Boxing day test, Lygon st etc is just business as usual.

To be fair, I've noticed the Perth scorchers crowd isn't the same as it was at the 'Furnace'.

Re the cheer squad, the demographics in the early-2000s were loud (and cute) high school girls that have all grown up and moved further back up the seats with their families. The demographic now is an older, less parochial type.

We need to start winning a few derbies to get some bandwagoners back

Winning is the only solution, but I don't think bandwagoners are the issue. Or maybe bandwagoners isn't the right term. The issue is the long term fans who have suffered through year after year of horrible, turgid football. These are the people who are the majority of the crowd every week. The people who stumped up platinum/silver pledges. But the passion has been sucked out by the standard/style of football played under Lyon for the last 4 years. And to make matters worse, now the whole league is also atrocious to watch. It's pretty hard to get excited about AFL and/or Fremantle, even for diehard supporters. Sanity prevails for many.

There’s something very wrong if a good percentage of our membership are WC supporters.
I grew up in Freo, now i didn't change teams but i know a lot who just accepted supporting 2 teams and go to both teams games

I don't see anything wrong with that, more support the merrier IMO

Winning is the only solution, but I don't think bandwagoners are the issue. Or maybe bandwagoners isn't the right term. The issue is the long term fans who have suffered through year after year of horrible, turgid football. These are the people who are the majority of the crowd every week. The people who stumped up platinum/silver pledges. But the passion has been sucked out by the standard/style of football played under Lyon for the last 4 years. And to make matters worse, now the whole league is also atrocious to watch. It's pretty hard to get excited about AFL and/or Fremantle, even for diehard supporters. Sanity prevails for many.
I am struggling to get motivated to watch games. The injury list really hurts, plus the expected loss.

I don't usually bag the umps but some of those calls were momentum killers and obviously ours but went against us. Add to that misses in front of goal for Tabs and Lobb that just can't keep happening.

The Eagle fans I talked to had all bought Freo memberships, we needed them to survive.
This is well Known, I would’ve thought?
Either West Coast fans can’t afford memberships for their team, that they buy Freo memberships to attend games to feel like they’re apart of football.
Or they are ‘fans of WA’ (even though their captains of the last 10 years has been Hurn then Shuey - South Australian and Victorian), that they use that excuse to attend both games to ensure they never lose.
That’s a major reason why the crowd isn’t as respondent or passionate. Fans that are no apart of the game, rather just spectators enjoying the live football experience without any emotion.
Remember in 2019, during Freo home games, looking around your seat the ‘Depressed, despondent, sad’ looking folks that just sit there emotionless? Exactly. It’s frustrating and annoying particularly when in front of us is a couple that is exactly like that, dressed in neutral clothing and have never worn a single FREO merchandise- even a scarf or a hat.

This is well Known, I would’ve thought?
Either West Coast fans can’t afford memberships for their team, that they buy Freo memberships to attend games to feel like they’re apart of football.
Or they are ‘fans of WA’ (even though their captains of the last 10 years has been Hurn then Shuey - South Australian and Victorian), that they use that excuse to attend both games to ensure they never lose.
That’s a major reason why the crowd isn’t as respondent or passionate. Fans that are no apart of the game, rather just spectators enjoying the live football experience without any emotion.
Remember in 2019, during Freo home games, looking around your seat the ‘Depressed, despondent, sad’ looking folks that just sit there emotionless? Exactly. It’s frustrating and annoying particularly when in front of us is a couple that is exactly like that, dressed in neutral clothing and have never worn a single FREO merchandise- even a scarf or a hat.
Yesterday I thought we suffered from not having a cheer squad when the Eagles had a group sitting together almost behind the goals and cheering like a cheer squad. We had some flags and banners that went up at the river goals after a score but I didn't hear any noise, so suspected random members were given flags to wave. Can't explain it otherwise.

There is no problem with the crowd yelling and supporting when we scored, or the Minairo was taking marks or scoring. But when you go for over a quarter or almost a half without scoring (for whatever reason), it's a problem.

I saw lots in Dockers gear that was so old it had the green colour, and it wouldn't hurt for the club to promote and sell new Dockers clothing, at a reasonable cost, that people want to buy.

I think there was a resignation among supporters that we were always going to lose and are jaded. Considering we lost by almost 100 last time when we had Fyfe and a full squad and they didn't have JK, it's almost why we need new blood in coaches, players and supporters.

There were positives and I think we're on the right track once we get injuries and assistant coaches sorted, and start winning I think the fans will get passionate again. In the meantime looking for any small positives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've tried being vocal at Optus before and you just get looks like you're off your head for daring to make noise. Whereas I've been to a couple of West Coast games and it's pretty much the regular to make noise.

Going into the game we beat Adelaide (s**t team, we almost lost) and Saints (joke of a team that should have buried us after the 1st qtr). I went into the game expecting to lose and we lost. I can't remember the last time I went into a game expecting to win. We're in a bad spot at the moment.

Start winning and excitement comes naturally rather than randoms just trying to rev up the crowd.

Gotta start winning.

I've tried being vocal at Optus before and you just get looks like you're off your head for daring to make noise. Whereas I've been to a couple of West Coast games and it's pretty much the regular to make noise.
Hence why these supporters aren’t members of Fremantle per se. It’s just an entertainment, I have to be there every second week.

How did the Eagles have a better organised cheer squad at our home game with restricted ticket sales? Completely embarrassing.

I also went to buy a new jumper of some sorts for my son who has outgrown his current one. Minimum cost was $100+
All footy jumpers are around that range unfortunately.

All footy jumpers are around that range unfortunately.

For sure. I'll just wait until Jim Kidd has their next sale or buy a jumper when the club can't give them away in a few months when the season is ending.

I guess I felt that yesterday was an opportunity to do something to get people engaged again and could have involved something more than $3 chips. Not that I'm saying that I should have got a free/cheap jumper or anything like that. I guess, it was the first true home game with any decent number of fans and all the rest. It was a bit of a letdown overall which feels like a crap thing to say because at least we are going to the footy.

Last edited:
I believe its optus stadium.
subiaco was on the fremantle train line and thus people from freos heart land were able to go to games and all the weird and wonderful characters with them.
Optus stadium is next to the city and thus you only get the city people who are obsessed with image and wont break that image to scream at the footy.
There is no public transport from freo heart land to optus stadium.
Optus stadium's location hurts freo.

For sure. I'll just wait until Jim Kidd has their next sale or buy a jumper when the club can't give them away in a few months when the season is ending.

I guess I felt that yesterday was an opportunity to do something to get people engaged again and could have involved something more than $3 chips. Not that I'm saying that I should have got a free/cheap jumper or anything like that. I guess, it was the first true home game with any decent number of fans and all the rest. It was a bit of a letdown overall which feels like a crap thing to say because at least we are going to the footy.
Yeah Jim Kidd is the way to go, always some cheapies there. Even Rebel and the AFL store are pretty cheap once the season ends. Still holding out for one of those retro anchor jumpers from last year but you either have to go to Optus or Cockburn for it.

I grew up in Freo, now i didn't change teams but i know a lot who just accepted supporting 2 teams and go to both teams games

I don't see anything wrong with that, more support the merrier IMO

Yeah used to sit next to a couple at subi who did that.

Honestly it's just how the market works. A lot of people are shut out of WCE memberships and have the disposible income to buy one of ours to see a few Freo games + derby every year.

Yeah used to sit next to a couple at subi who did that.

Honestly it's just how the market works. A lot of people are shut out of WCE memberships and have the disposible income to buy one of ours to see a few Freo games + derby every year.

Like so many have said, start winning games and the passion will return. It would have returned last night if Freo had kept at the Eagles and it had been close. I mean one goal for the second half, seriously they should be happy that most stayed to the end.

I am not going to have a shot at the cheer squad because I saw a few trying their hardest but nothing was being given back by the crowd. Why? because the majority of us went to the game to watch some kids and in the full knowledge that our Strength and Conditioning handicap team had, as usual, destroyed the teams chances pre-game.

Give me my dues though, I am nearly 60 and I still threatened one of the bin chickens to a trip outside for making derogatory comments about Brayshaw's broken jaw. I am too old for this sh1t.

As I said to some random walking to the stadium, you can't call yourself a Freo fan if you have not been let down by this team too many times to ever go into a game confident of winning. You hope for the best but expect the worst. I think that kind of sums up where we are at right now.

Also, if you are that drunk girl. Hi.

Yeah I felt the crowd (me included) was just kind of waiting for the inevitable loss to happen, mainly because of all the injuries. The first 10 minutes were unexpectedly good so the crowd was up and about for a little while and Freddy's goal etc. But once wc got their game going it went pretty quiet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back