Opinion Our Fans

Remove this Banner Ad

I went along , tough night but level 5 section 519 is the best place to watch footy I’ve ever been to. Boundary throws on the near wing it’s like your hovering above the action in a drone

We even had a whole row to ourselves till security came long and said your breaking corona protocols

Dockers were pretty shite but boy the Cats zone was something to see , perfect alignment and distancing. You might be a chance against it on a quick track where you can move the ball fast but they are in it up too their eyeballs this year if it’s wet come finals time

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Boring gameplan
Lack of positive results
No exciting young talent
Not seeing our best players at their best consistently
Sterile stadium
Membership price increase
Poor overall standard across the AFL
Frustratingly poor umpiring standards

A combination of the above over the last 4 years have killed the spirit of a lot of members imo.

And many of these issues exist to this day. You want larger, more passionate crowds, then fix as many of these as possible.
We do some things very well, Anzac game, etc, it's just that the Derbys have become so vanilla.
I really don't understand why Freo don't embrace our culture more.
Wear the South and Easts jumper rotating for Heritage game, highlight former stars of the game.
Just bring back the passion and excitement.
To have no ties at all to the WAFL clubs is a disgrace.
Would love to see the 1979 teams honoured before a game, 1980 team, and get them to talk about
what Derbys meant back then.
George Orwell society now, same as the AFL, our best years are our most rebelliousness.

I miss being in Melbourne and being able to drown out the cheers of the opposition. I tried a year in the WA cheersquad last year but its just not for me anymore. Ive moved my seats to the 2 tier and not my vocal self anymore. I reckon with a few good wins will spark our cheer and passion back. Moments like when Fredrick scored shows we still have it in us.

Some fascinating insights here. Feel like I've partly grown up watching you lead the opposition cheer squad through my formative adult years (since about 2010?)

Would like to know why you felt the cheer squad at Optus wasn't for you, because it might give some answers as to what isn't working and what needs to change.

Did you find crowds more enjoyable/better atmosphere in general over east? Or about the same?

Some fascinating insights here. Feel like I've partly grown up watching you lead the opposition cheer squad through my formative adult years (since about 2010?)

Would like to know why you felt the cheer squad at Optus wasn't for you, because it might give some answers as to what isn't working and what needs to change.

Did you find crowds more enjoyable/better atmosphere in general over east? Or about the same?
I think over east the cheersquad was more friendlier and social with the open seating a great way to get to know and coordinate chants. It also helps the volume i could generate leading chants with a smaller crowd at most games.
i never had people telling me to shut up or sit down and i reckon you get that at Subi/Optus from what ive seen and heard.

im sitting in 133 two bays over from the Cheersquad this weekend and will try and get the crowd going against Collingwood. Ive spent the last two games waste my voice on hurling abuse at Margetts...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wear the South and Easts jumper rotating for Heritage game, highlight former stars of the game.
Just bring back the passion and excitement.
To have no ties at all to the WAFL clubs is a disgrace.
Would love to see the 1979 teams honoured before a game, 1980 team, and get them to talk about
what Derbys meant back then.
George Orwell society now, same as the AFL, our best years are our most rebelliousness.
Sorry we have virtually nothing to do with those clubs and we create our own culture.

Fremantle have retained nothing of 2 of the most successful sides in football.
The fremantle area has consistently nurtured some of the best afl players in the country.
There was a team called the fremantle uniond that started afl in West oz 130 years ago.

No but let's not build on that. We have our own culture. Lol.

The fremantle area has consistently nurtured some of the best afl players in the country.
There was a team called the fremantle uniond that started afl in West oz 130 years ago.

Too many non Fremantle people involved in the start up of the club. We should still be in Fremantle FFS and I live in Cockburn.

Too many non Fremantle people involved in the start up of the club. We should still be in Fremantle FFS and I live in Cockburn.

In an ideal world you're right.

Unfortunately it's not an ideal world, and they don't award premierships based on the number of solar panels located at club HQ.

I might be wrong about this, but back when they form FFC, didn't the club try to engage with both Souths and Easts and the two WAFL clubs actually refused to attend meetings if the other club attended? Or something like that.

I'm pretty sure the WAFL clubs rejected Freo more than Freo rejected the WAFL clubs.

I might be wrong about this, but back when they form FFC, didn't the club try to engage with both Souths and Easts and the two WAFL clubs actually refused to attend meetings if the other club attended? Or something like that.

I'm pretty sure the WAFL clubs rejected Freo more than Freo rejected the WAFL clubs.
That's passion, and you were either born in the blue or red colour.
Doesn't mean you lacked respect, but ask anyone the Derbys were special contests.
Times have changed and you expect all WAFL clubs to work together, but to reject that
history?
We are the Fremantle Dockers and you can find it on the map.

That's passion, and you were either born in the blue or red colour.
Doesn't mean you lacked respect, but ask anyone the Derbys were special contests.
Times have changed and you expect all WAFL clubs to work together, but to reject that
history?
We are the Fremantle Dockers and you can find it on the map.
Cool. But we couldn't embrace that heritage when that heritage didn't want to embrace us.

It's too late now. The time for it to happen was back in the mid-1990s. But the clubs concerned weren't interested/were too parochical, so its wasn't really an option.

If FFC originated from one club -- say we became the East Freo Dockers -- that approach would have worked. But there would have been quite a few people who would have then never signed up to the club.

The big problem we have today is that after 25 years, the on-field history to fall back on is pretty bare. The big opportunitiy is to get the the stage of _sustained_ success and then those problems go away. Not a flash in the pan GF and soon after the biggest ladder fall in VFL/AFL history. But getting good and playing fianls year-in-and-year-out for a decade.

Cool. But we couldn't embrace that heritage when that heritage didn't want to embrace us.

It's too late now. The time for it to happen was back in the mid-1990s. But the clubs concerned weren't interested/were too parochical, so its wasn't really an option.

If FFC originated from one club -- say we became the East Freo Dockers -- that approach would have worked. But there would have been quite a few people who would have then never signed up to the club.

The big problem we have today is that after 25 years, the on-field history to fall back on is pretty bare. The big opportunitiy is to get the the stage of _sustained_ success and then those problems go away. Not a flash in the pan GF and soon after the biggest ladder fall in VFL/AFL history. But getting good and playing fianls year-in-and-year-out for a decade.
It was both the Fremantle clubs and the powers that be fault. Not enough Freo people were involved and that
created resentment.
It's why we have freagles now, it's not too late to mend bridges, especially if Easts move to Fremantle oval.
I would love for Easts to move to Cockburn, set up that second oval and be based there.
Sure I have wanted our affiliated WAFL club to do well, my grandfather owned houses in North Yunderup.

It was both the Fremantle clubs and the powers that be fault. Not enough Freo people were involved and that
created resentment.
It's why we have freagles now, it's not too late to mend bridges, especially if Easts move to Fremantle oval.
I would love for Easts to move to Cockburn, set up that second oval and be based there.
Sure I have wanted our affiliated WAFL club to do well, my grandfather owned houses in North Yunderup.

Would those that support both WC and East Freo like their club to move to Cockburn?

You create your own culture to be built on, trying to latch on to the history of other teams from another league is lame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back