Remove this Banner Ad

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
What has happened to our supporters?

Months of covid lockdown with no footy, our state miraculously manages to avoid the infectious carnage (so far) while the Vics can't even trundle down the street to get their soy latte fix, 30,000 lucky fans get dibs on our first home match and they serve up that lackluster vocal display. Yes, some fans got up and about when Frederick's kicked his first goal and a few other nice things but it's not the same as before. Yes - there were only 30k people there but it's the tone and atmosphere out supporters create, particularly when we're behind and you can hear a pin drop, and it makes it very easy for opposition teams to get on top of things.

Maybe I've been spoiled? Been attending games regularly since 2003 and I can remember occasions when the decibels were so high you thought the concrete would splinter. I also went to a number of games between 1995-2001 and I remember our fans were still loud and proud despite the shellackings we copped on a regular basis. After Jlo kicked his winning goal in 2005 it felt like the ground was going to implode. Maybe there was a lot more live music back then? Wolfmother, Eskimo Joe were headlining Big Day Out and everything seemed louder.

Maybe Optus spooks our supporter base, because if I get up now and yell at the top of my lungs I'm likely to cause heart attacks (or at least hypertension) in the fans sitting around me.

The cheer squad has been a farce for years as well.

We need to get the energy back into games again. Attending live sport is a privelege few can afford across the globe, at present and in general.

Last edited:

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

Months of covid lockdown with no footy, our state miraculously manages to avoid the infectious carnage (so far) while the Vics can't even trundle down the street to get their soy latte fix, 30,000 lucky fans get dibs on our first home match and they serve up that lackluster vocal display. Yes, some fans got up and about when Frederick's kicked his first goal and a few other nice things but it's not the same as before. Yes - there were only 30k people there but it's the tone and atmosphere out supporters create, particularly when we're behind and you can hear a pin drop, and it makes it very easy for opposition teams to get on top of things.

Maybe I've been spoiled? Been attending games regularly since 2003 and I can remember occasions when the decibels were so high you thought the concrete would splinter. I also went to a number of games between 1995-2001 and I remember our fans were still loud and proud despite the shellackings we copped on a regular basis. After Jlo kicked his winning goal in 2005 it felt like the ground was going to implode. Maybe there was a lot more live music back then? Wolfmother, Eskimo Joe were headlining Big Day Out and everything seemed louder.

Maybe Optus spooks our supporter base, because if I get up now and yell at the top of my lungs I'm likely to cause heart attacks (or at least hypertension) in the fans sitting around me.

We need to get the energy back into games again. Attending live sport is a privelege few can afford across the globe, at present and in general.

I nominate you as the new president of the cheer squad. What say you?

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
Hmm, perhaps it's the dire nature of the situation regarding us and West Coast at present. I think the streak-breaking win (when it comes) will re instill life into our fans from then on.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
We have gone from the best home crowd as far as atmosphere is concerned to something resembling the suns.
Absolute rubbish fremantle cheer squad..what happened to you ??
No passion at all..gagf

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
I know that for the last four years, I've entered derbies with a sense of trepidation. We shall ovecome though!

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
The reign of the mighty Seppo in the Vic cheersquad and our being able to win games in Melbourne, coincidence - I think not.

He was facing the cheersquad half the time to lead them in a refrain of "one Kepler Bradley" or other timely ditty and the cheersquad went bananas. With the cheersquad going nuts, so did the rest of us fans in other parts of the stadium - and our boys on the field played with their heads held higher. There were plenty of occasions where you would have sworn it was a Freo homegame if you closed your eyes and listened to the crowd.

AAACockburn

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2013
Inside Wayne Carey's pain relief Ziplock.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
VFL
The look you get from people around you if you make noise at a Dockers game.

1595163251645.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have gone from the best home crowd as far as atmosphere is concerned to something resembling the suns.
Absolute rubbish fremantle cheer squad..what happened to you ??
No passion at all..gagf

I have mates that were in the cheer squad when we were at Subi and the tl;dr version of why they have gone to s**t is a mixture of too many 'Karens' and too many people thinking they run the show and everyone has to conform to what they want.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Cheer squad couldn't happen because everyone got random seating except those few leftover seats which the eagles cheersquad bought out

We were loud at times tonight but how loud can you be when we were 20 points down with 2 minutes to go at half, any team that goes 20 down to the eagles at any point over the past 5 years can basically book in a loss as they park the bus with Mcgovern, Hurn, Sheppard and Barrass and play sling shot footy.

Its crucial to not let West Coast get a jump so I can see why the crowd got deflated.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree with this. I know a couple of die-hard fans of the game who simply couldn't care less about this season. I myself have gone from watching 5-6 games a week to barely getting through our own game.

The quality of football is so bad right now.
I use to try and watch every game, got excited for them to. Not sure if it's because I'm an adult now and got other priorities, but my interest has faded in the game.

I have sleeping issues and I'm not kidding when I say this, but I've literally fallen asleep a few times watching afl this season. Skills are deplorable, umpires have gotten worse and the amount of goalless quarters on a weekly basis, from every team is a f***ing joke.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards

Mate, it’s a derby. The entitled Chardonnay Freagles got tickets. West Coast Cheer Squad were allowed in.
It’s whoever wealthiest first in.

Was always going to be like that. Bank that one away, and the passionate loyal Freo members will be out next week.
Like I said, Freagles are the worst breed of fan, and they exist.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Agree with this. I know a couple of die-hard fans of the game who simply couldn't care less about this season. I myself have gone from watching 5-6 games a week to barely getting through our own game.

The quality of football is so bad right now.
Sorry, but the 2010 we made finals, Freo members became deluded. It’s not as passionate and loyal as pre-2006. It’s a entitled membership culture.
We’ve played a lot awful brand of football then this- just the fans expecting to be given on a platter. Hard thing is, we re competing with West Coast who are exactly that- silver spoon fed winning culture and extensives.

AAACockburn

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2013
Inside Wayne Carey's pain relief Ziplock.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
VFL
I have sleeping issues and I'm not kidding when I say this, but I've literally fallen asleep a few times watching afl this season. Skills are deplorable, umpires have gotten worse and the amount of goalless quarters on a weekly basis, from every team is a f***ing joke
Me too. I have written off this year though I can honestly say I have made it to full time more times than I have in the last 5 years.

Jul 20, 2018
Heard the crowd on a number of occasions completely deflate when a 50/50 call went against us. Or even a blatant call that we should have got, be called play on

I was disappointed in the noise of the crowd, but it had its moments. Really ***** pissed to see so many trash eagles supporters there with tickets. You should be ashamed of yourself if you’re a freo supporter and have / sold it to a weagle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back