Opinion Our favourite Indigenous player since AFL era

Remove this Banner Ad

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My apologies if a thread like this already exists.

But with all the doom and gloom I wanted to divert to some great memories.

Lets create some fun discussion as no right or wrong nor about Jewish history as per half of other threads.

North have had some fantastic Indigenous players.

I'll start as I'm 39 (born 1981) so really only watched and remember early 90s so my opinion may well be wrong.

1. Pickett. Genuine gun, tough and skills underrated.
2. Abraham. Excitement machine. Short lived at North but freakish ability.
3. Wells. Fantastic player and probably better than my first 2. Had frustrating faults.

Thomas must be close for many.

Yours?

Nice thread. Thanks!

My favourites were:

1. Byron - he changed the game.
2. Lindsay - great club man, under rated talent, loved his development from ultra shy to an extremely well spoken respected North man.
3. Phil Krakouer - just loved watching him. Probably not as talented as Jim but was just really effective.

On CPH1707 using BigFooty.com mobile app

• Banned
Grew up watching modern day footy so for me it has to be Wells.

When Wells is on, he breaks the game wide open. Elite skills, elite crumber, elite footy IQ etc.

Yep I'd agree Wells best games simply exceptional.

Top 5 in comp quality.

Just felt we couldn't rely on him as much as I'd like (again, not saying I'm right)

Abraham is a strange one maybe. But i found watching him drew me to loving footy as a Rolls Royce at his top. (key in thread favourite not necessarily best over years etc)

Last edited:
Jimmy, Phil and Byron, can't seperate them. All tough as nails but more importantly great footballers. PHIL wasn't the sort to dish it out wildly jolly but he copped heaps and it didn't phase him.

Jed and Jy might be up there by the time they finish playing.

The way Jim and Phil used space and moved into it changed the game and really led to where we are now with rolling zones and overly defensive play as coaches reacted to the use of space as an attacking weapon.

• Banned
Jimmy, Phil and Byron, can't seperate them. All tough as nails but more importantly great footballers. PHIL wasn't the sort to dish it out wildly jolly but he copped heaps and it didn't phase him.

Jed and Jy might be up there by the time they finish playing.

Yeah I deliberately left Jy, Jed (and Thomas) out as still on way up at different stages.

That's really interesting as Krakours before my time.

My Dad is a Pies man and much higher rated Jimmy to Phil but liked both (again not saying right just his opinion)

For the AFL era its the same as ChoppyGun: 1. Pickett, 2. Abraham & 3. Wells.

All-time favourites would be harder to decide on, I'd have to slot Jim and Phil in there somewhere. They were brilliant to watch.

I was only a little kid when Cable left North but my old man and brother raved about him, don't think they could of rated him much higher.
Might have to make it a top 6 :think:

Yeah I deliberately left Jy, Jed (and Thomas) out as still on way up at different stages.

That's really interesting as Krakours before my time.

My Dad is a Pies man and much higher rated Jimmy to Phil but liked both (again not saying right just his opinion)
Jimmy could win the ball in packs, burst from the pack into space and goal with a torp on the run from inside the centre square. He was a freak. But the way the two of them played together was what really made them special. They knew each other and what to do so well some people claimed they had some telepathic connection.

And they may have had one as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all. But they'd also played together all their lives and knew each other's game very well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, it would be easier to ask which testicle I want removed, less painful too...
I just hope in future years we can add the names of Simpkin, Thomas and others to this list

Sherm there is a gif of him running out of centre, opponents completely lost and shells it from about 50 on left (non-preferred).

Truly freakish yet he was like, yeah whatever......it's those moments (albeit short lived) I loved watching Winnie.

I was only a little kid when Cable left North but my old man and brother raved about him, don't think they could of rated him much higher.

I'm also too young to have seen it but.

There would have been a period of time where Cable was the absolute best player in the land.

It's a pity about the come to North return to Perth come back to North.

Probably would have won a Brownlow.

I'm also too young to have seen it but.

There would have been a period of time where Cable was the absolute best player in the land.

It's a pity about the come to North return to Perth come back to North.

Probably would have won a Brownlow.
Between him and Polly Farmer for best Handball
Daylight second
Cable won Sandovers during a very strong period of football so would have polled very well in the brownlow

Sherm there is a gif of him running out of centre, opponents completely lost and shells it from about 50 on left (non-preferred).

Truly freakish yet he was like, yeah whatever......it's those moments (albeit short lived) I loved watching Winnie.
Number 1 on this highlight tape.. 😍

Too young to remember Cable.Some very good players since then.Special mentions to P Krakouer, B Pickett and D Wells but the pick of all of them was J Krakouer. As tough as any player I've seen at the Club; Arch included, and sublime skills. Easily the Club's best player accross the 80's.

AFL era - Winnie was beautiful in full flight. We were robbed with his injuries.

Choppy was deadly, both figuratively and literally.....he could seriously play too.

Wellsy was poetry in motion, but another we lost out too soon to injury.

One who didn’t play many games, but looked great with the ball was Gary Durkay....he just couldn’t get going though. Played a couple blinder games for us though.

Pre AFl era - cabes and jimmy K....with Phil K right up there.

Cable just made it look ridiculously easy as a game.

Jimmy was tough AF, but his skills were off the charts too. Copped a lot of racist garbage, but had a great way of squaring up. He’d literally throw 2 or 3 quick jabs and dropped a lot of supposed tough guys.

Phil would just glide around, totally untouchable when he had the ball. Think Pendles combined with Jy but quicker....he was only a little bloke though. Only time he got belted was behind the play type garbage as they’d go after him off the ball. They couldn’t get near him when he had it.

Cable.

All you young whipper snappers out there need to get your hands on a replay of the 1977 Preliminary Final. It was one of the greatest individual performances in the history of this club.

Cable went head to head with the great Leigh Matthews and absolutely destroyed him, helping himself to a lazy 38 touches (including 22 handballs) in the process. Back then, 38 touches would probably be the equivalent of 50+ touches these days. He was everywhere that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back