Our First Pick - The Deficit - We have pick 10!

Remove this Banner Ad

Was reflecting on the article from the West and wondered what people felt about us not doing that last minute trade with Port and just taking the hit in the first round. The trade with Port involved our 2020 second pick (27 - which will push back to the 30’s after FA compo and academy picks) for 453 pts (approx pick 38).

If we just took the hit it would be as follows:
23 (pts deficit if no trade with Port)
27 (our second pick traded to Port)
29 (Melbourne 2nd Pick)

VS

12 (pts deficit after the trade with Port)
29 (Melbourne 2nd Pick)

With the academy players and COVID it has prob worked in our favour but we will need to get a third or early fourth round pick back. Hopefully some goodwill stored up with Adelaide or Port.

I'm guessing part of the rationale in protecting this years first round pick as best we could was the impact if we bottomed out this year? I.e. if we'd finished 17th, the bigger deficit hurts more, even allowing for retaining the 2nd round pick. Fair question though.

Don't Geelong already have gold coasts pick 11 this year? Compo pick? Wouldn't that push us back to 12
I’ve lost count how many times I’ve answered this question.

7 goes to 11, everyone else between 8-11 falls forward one spot. Effectively we have replaced Melbourne’s first round spot, and we also have their second as well.

Maybe this was part of SOS’s thinking all along that the points deficit would push Carlton up a spot in 2020 ND. A parting gift so to speak.

Also not bidding on Green cost us pick 10 instead of pick 11.

So without FA compensation

Adelaide 1
North 2
Sydney 3
Hawks 4
Suns 5
Bombers 6
Carlton 7
GWS 8
Melbourne 9
Geelong 10
Freo 11

Worse case Considerations FA could impact would push us 3 spots to pick 14

Daniher
Crouch
UgleHagan

Adelaide 1
North 2
Sydney 3
Hawks 4
Suns 5
Bombers 6
Carlton 7
GWS 8
Melbourne 9
Geelong 10
Freo 11

Daniher
Crouch
UgleHagan
Could probably add to that list of possible compo picks/academy selections before our pick
Jeremy Cameron
Zac Williams
Braeden Campbell
Lachie Jones

Adelaide 1
North 2
Sydney 3
Hawks 4
Suns 5
Bombers 6
Carlton 7
GWS 8
Melbourne 9
Geelong 10
Freo 11

Daniher
Crouch
UgleHagan
Adelaide 1
North 2
Sydney 3
Hawks 4
Suns 5
Bombers 6
Carlton 7
Adelaide 8
North Melbourne 9

Geelong 10
Freo 11

GWS traded their first to Adelaide and Melbourne to North Melbourne.

Seems Brad Crouch is more end of first round. Would expect the same of Zac Williams but North were throwing a heap of cash at him (so he is possible first round)Seems more likely that Jeremy Cameron will stay. Daniher - Cats and Brisbane both keen but both don’t have a war chest of money so again looking more end of first round.

With academy bids I’m thinking 3-4 spot drop down to 13/14. It is our second round pick which will drop prob 8-9 spots.

If there is ever a draft to drop back some spots it is this one. I really think we’ll get our first two picks in before any bids on our academy players, who for mine are around the 40’s.

The percentage between us and Carlton on the 2020 ladder was so close. One less goal by the Western Bulldogs today and we would have finished above Carlton.

The percentage between us and Carlton on the 2020 ladder was so close. One less goal by the Western Bulldogs today and we would have finished above Carlton.
Everyone who was melting on the game day thread and bagging out the easy misses and bad turnovers clearly failed to understand the brilliance of JLos coaching - he had our boys primed to lose by just the right amount to maximise the draft position!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure why people are getting concerned about F/S and NGA. They make no difference to our draft position as we'd have no chance to get them anyway, unless we bid and it isn't matched. It's the compo picks that matter, so there's about 4 that we need to be concerned about - GWSx2, Adelaide, Essendon. They're all RFAs.

I'm not sure why people are getting concerned about F/S and NGA. They make no difference to our draft position as we'd have no chance to get them anyway, unless we bid and it isn't matched. It's the compo picks that matter, so there's about 4 that we need to be concerned about - GWSx2, Adelaide, Essendon. They're all RFAs.
Joe Daniher compo pick won't be elite. He's walking wounded, team paying for him isn't going to sell their soul.

The only concern is pushing our pick behind a bid on one of our NGAs. I think it is unlikely but I don't think it is impossible.

There's talk that the Bombers will match any offer anyway to force a trade.

Their list is at the stage where I don't think thy can afford to lose Joe for nothing.
Yeah that's the other thing. They're all RFAs, so who knows who might match. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeremy Cameron stays at GWS, or if he wants to go, that they match to force a trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back