Our First Pick - The Deficit - We have pick 10!

Remove this Banner Ad

What level of melts would be had if we use that first on Baldwin?
It's almost a certainty: "There Will Be Melts" featuring Daniel Day Lewis will be released on 7 December.

Definitely not unusual for Freo to pick out an unexpected name with a mid to late 1st.

Expecting someone like bolter "Brayden Cook" and everyone be like "wtf" :)

You mean blame Bell and others for maintaining a shred of integrity. SOS was on the way out and wanted to wreak a bit of havoc in the process. He's a f.wit
Lloyd’s work.

Fremantle payed him for him to go to the US study live trading.

He wanted to be smart and trade pick 8/9 to the Suns for two late first round picks.

Then they bided on Henry and Green to give them time to negotiate with the Suns.

Lloyd could have spoken before the draft to the Suns.

Thank God that Lloyd is no longer at the Club.

Snuffaluphagus I dont think he is a bad prospect. I can see a club take a punt on him.

If he didnt do his knee for the 2nd year in arow back in April, He would of challenged Tilthorpe who is that 200cm and 100kg ruck forward from west Adelaide who the crows might get as the best talent in SA.

I see a club take a punt on him in the 2nd or 3rd round due to his knee injury.

Snuffaluphagus I dont think he is a bad prospect. I can see a club take a punt on him.

If he didnt do his knee for the 2nd year in arow back in April, He would of challenged Tilthorpe who is that 200cm and 100kg ruck forward from west Adelaide who the crows might get as the best talent in SA.

I see a club take a punt on him in the 2nd or 3rd round due to his knee injury.
2nd or 3rd is one thing, using pick 11 (or whatever it ends up being) on a dude who has done 2 ACLs would be another

Again you look at the GWS trade that involved with Cam McCarthy. Freo Traded pick 3 for Cam Mcarthy, Pick 8 in logue, Pick 32 in darcy and pick 72 in Ryan. More than happy to trade pick 3 for 4 players in our 22 when fully fit. Pity Cam McCarthy didnt make it at freo in the end as he was the most talented and naturally skilled of those 4.
After diving through all the trade stuff GWS effectively upgraded 3 to 2 for nothing and took Taranto at 2.
I regard this a definate win for us.

Then you look at the Harley Bennell trade(s). Traded picks 16 and 35 for bennell and pick 22. Not bad. then traded the 2016 2nd rounder and pick 61 to get pick 35 back and for pick 55. yes that 2016 2nd rounder ended up as pick 21. But I dont care what the suns used those picks on, I care about freos picks.
22 ended up as Darcy tucker, 35 was harley balic and 55 was Ironically was Sam Collins.
Once again after a dive through two drafts we can say that GC got Fiorini (22), Willis (56) and part (with Prestia) of an upgrade to 6 in 2016 draft (Scrimshaw)
Not sure that this trade worked well for either party in the end.

Port trade in 2018 was still worked out ok for freo.
Yeah we gave up picks 6 and 2019 3rd rounder but got picks 11, 23, 30 and 49. Then traded picks 11 and 23 to GWS for 14 and Rory Lobb.
This got complicated fast. 11 went in the Lobb trade. 23 went in the Hogan trade. 30 went in the Neal trade. 49 in an upgrade to 31. We drafted Sturt (14) and part (other trades required for his pick) of Valente (31). As an interesting side note we traded pick 6 twice.
Port on traded these for pick 5 (Rozee) & points towards Mayes. Our 2019 3rd was used as pick 49.
As a straight trade this is fine but both our picks have spent a lot of time in rehab making this trade less beneficial. There is even a chance that Valente delists with 0 games.
On the Port side of things they gave up Polec, Pittard, 23, 30, 48 and 49 to get Rozee. We also contributed points to the trade resulting in Wingard for 15 (Duursma), Burton and Mayes.

Looking at all these trades. The value is what you get at the end of the draft in my opinion. In this light McCarthy trade was awesome. The rest lest convincing.

This got complicated fast. 11 went in the Lobb trade. 23 went in the Hogan trade. 30 went in the Neal trade. 49 in an upgrade to 31. We drafted Sturt (14) and part (other trades required for his pick) of Valente (31). As an interesting side note we traded pick 6 twice.
Port on traded these for pick 5 (Rozee) & points towards Mayes. Our 2019 3rd was used as pick 49.
As a straight trade this is fine but both our picks have spent a lot of time in rehab making this trade less beneficial. There is even a chance that Valente delists with 0 games.
On the Port side of things they gave up Polec, Pittard, 23, 30, 48 and 49 to get Rozee. We also contributed points to the trade resulting in Wingard for 15 (Duursma), Burton and Mayes.

Looking at all these trades. The value is what you get at the end of the draft in my opinion. In this light McCarthy trade was awesome. The rest lest convincing.
I didnt care. that 2018 trade period worked out well for freo in the end. Sure in a way we had to trade lachie neale to get Hogan.

But.... doing that trade with Port made the other freo trades possible.

I didnt care. that 2018 trade period worked out well for freo in the end. Sure in a way we had to trade lachie neale to get Hogan.

But.... doing that trade with Port made the other freo trades possible.
Yes it did. For the Lobb trade it makes a bit of sense. For Hogan...
I wasn't convinced about the Hogan trade then and I remain unconvinced now. Ben King went at 6 and we had it twice. Sparrow went at 27 (what pick 23 became) and we took Valente at 30 but we had to trade for his pick during the draft and got done over. I will always look back on this and say Ben King and change vs Hogan.

Yes it did. For the Lobb trade it makes a bit of sense. For Hogan...
I wasn't convinced about the Hogan trade then and I remain unconvinced now. Ben King went at 6 and we had it twice. Sparrow went at 27 (what pick 23 became) and we took Valente at 30 but we had to trade for his pick during the draft and got done over. I will always look back on this and say Ben King and change vs Hogan.
I said this at the time. I didn't mind getting both Hogan and Lobb. But I f I had to choose which one was going to be decent at Freo I chose Lobb.

I was more happier getting Lobb than Hogan for the simple reasons were Lobb can ruck and play forward. Lobb came cheaper than Hogan too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the fact that the toast won’t be in the first round for the third successive year is more a problem. Our drafting has been a strength lately, I’d back them to find a good pick with whatever we end up with

Lose by 4 goals-ish we get pick 11
Lose by less we get pick 12 (I think this turns into 13 as Geelong got gifted a free pick 11 from GC)
Win and we get pick 14 (again probably becomes pick 15)

I’ve heard the 15th player in this draft is going to be the next Fyfe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lose by 4 goals-ish we get pick 11
Lose by less we get pick 12 (I think this turns into 13 as Geelong got gifted a free pick 11 from GC)
Win and we get pick 14 (again probably becomes pick 15)

I’ve heard the 15th player in this draft is going to be the next Fyfe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The GCS priority pick doesn’t push us back one.

The initial draft order will have us at 7/8/9 and Geelong at 11. Then the points deficit is applied. We push back to 11/12/14 as you say and Geelong move into the top 10.

Was reflecting on the article from the West and wondered what people felt about us not doing that last minute trade with Port and just taking the hit in the first round. The trade with Port involved our 2020 second pick (27 - which will push back to the 30’s after FA compo and academy picks) for 453 pts (approx pick 38).

If we just took the hit it would be as follows:
23 (pts deficit if no trade with Port)
27 (our second pick traded to Port)
29 (Melbourne 2nd Pick)

VS

12 (pts deficit after the trade with Port)
29 (Melbourne 2nd Pick)

With the academy players and COVID it has prob worked in our favour but we will need to get a third or early fourth round pick back. Hopefully some goodwill stored up with Adelaide or Port.

9 pages of what ifs and nots.
We have lost stuff all in a massively compromised draft and we have brought in elite talent with 12 months of AFL environment exposure to a new regime that promotes an all in - development mindset and culture shift at the club.
* the points - we will trade to get the points we need if we rate Western and Walker as high priority needs.
Definitely would like to see Western at the club, has Shai Bolton written all over him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back