Our first round pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested in isolating some discussion on our first round pick from the draft, trading etc mega thread.

If our pick turns out to be around 8 and we assume Toumpas is gone by then who are the likely candidates?

Would Jake Stringer be there at 8? Take the risk on Dayle Garlett? Is pick 8 too high for Nick Vlastuin? (I note Knightmare has him going at 18 - he was rated a top 10 pick earlier in the year IIRC). Knightmare has us taking Jonothon O'Rourke at 7. Ben Kennedy would be around the place but is small. Would Mayes or Wines get to pick 8. Take a risk on Menzel?

At least it looks like there could be a fair bit of choice at pick 8.

Yeah I like the sound of o'rourke.

I also don't mind Garlett, he more of a pure mid than people seem to think. A lot of people have labelled him an outside player, but after watching him, he seems like quite a complete player

Wouldn't mind Mayes or Kennedy either

Do not want vlastuin

Solid bodied highly skilled pure mid please.
Our midfeild is already big with Broady, Ebert, HH, Moore and Even Boak has a bit of size. I'd like us to go for skill over size so I'd be happy with Garlett , if he's not too much of a risk, or Kennedy. I don't care how small Kennedy is he's going to be a gun.

gws, gc, melbx2, dogsx2

port pick 7. maybe pick 8 if we rise above brisbane.

out of our reach i have whitfield, grundy, toumpas.

so we could have a shot at mayes, orourke, gartlett, wines and kennedy.

mayes 187cm. sa described as best kick of the draft.game winner. flanker midfielder.

orourke vic met inside/outside ball-winning decent skills decent athlete. recent injury concerns nothing major though.

gartlett wa speedy outside high possession long kicker, questionable behaviour and work ethic in past

wines vic coun tough inside smart ball-winner. reliable. not high hurt factor.

kennedy sa fast tough tiny ball winning goal kicking machine. did i say tiny?

i want our 1st round to come from these above.

stringer, vic coun 187cm strong on-baller/flnker. massive injury concerns.

menzel- sa super talented hff-mid. massive injury concerns.

vlastuin- vic coun? i think, tough, slowish ball winning smart disposal not game winning or hurt factor. we have too many similar types on our list. didnt rack up big numbers in champs. far too early to pick him in the top ten.

i see our needs as foot skills >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> over anything else with pace next.

having said that im not concerned if we go an inside ball winner like wines if we value him as so much better than the next option on our list with attributes that we want/need.

i do believe that mayes will be snapped up by the dogs, and wines by melb or the dogs.

Will we pick based on best available or team requirement?

Won't get Toumpas if Bulldogs finish below us. Pretty sure Wines will go very high as well. Grundy and Whitfield will also obviously be gone.

If that's the case, gimmeeee Stringer > Mayes > Kennedy > O'Rourke. We'll end up with one of these 4 I'd imagine. I'd say we'd choose Mayes if he was still there over anyone (apart from the above mentioned). I'd be happy with that.

Best available... we need "best" across all lines, so not fussed which we fill. I think our highest priority is:

- KP defender.
- Fast and skilled mid... (perhaps a left footer).
- small forward... (with potential as a mid).

We're not going to pick up an "instant" ruckman. Got faith our midfield overall will be ok once all are fit and develop (Boak, Gray, Pearce, HH, Ebert, Broady, Stewart, Moore, Jacobs, Wingard, Pfeiffer plus others upcomers/trades)... but a fast and skillful player would help spread and cut up teams.

KP defender to keep pressure on (or replace) Chappy, Carlile and JT.

Small forward (+ mid)... because Hitchy & Phillips aint the answer, Ebo is misused, PeeStew has shown potential and needs help. I recall when P Burger, J Burger and S Dew all started their careers as fast leading and crumbing forwards... and Wangas finished off his career in a similar role.

The list has so many holes in it that we should approach the draft with the best available at every pick for the next few years.

Don't know much about them, but from what little I do know I wouldn't mind Dayle Garlett.

Best available in any of the following categories would suit me nicely:
Speedy, skilled outside mid
Ball-winning, skilled centre square mid (ala Sam Mitchell)
Key forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on current pick position, I would hope that Mayes is available, then irrespective of height, Kennedy next - similar size to Marc Murphy, who goes OK.

Can Kennedy play in the midfield? If so, may be worthwhile, but I'd be hoping we focus on other needs such as key position players and bona fide midfielders.

I also wonder whether we may go for a midfielder, with a hope of selecting McDonough with a later pick.

Best available... we need "best" across all lines, so not fussed which we fill. I think our highest priority is:

- KP defender.

I agree with most of this, but you've raised the KPD before. If Carlile and Chappy stay next year, we absolutely should not be drafting a KPD with our first pick. Totally agree with the fast/skilled mid as a left footer, and think we really need a small, quick, crumbing forward with good goal sense. However I would use our first two picks on these unless there is an outstanding KPD prospect which we could then use our 2nd pick on. TBH I might even consider drafting a KPF before a KPD. Schulzy is too old to be a part of our next premiership team, and who knows if Westy and DStew are going to even be a part of the PAFC beyond next year...

and think we really need a small, quick, crumbing forward with good goal sense.

the past few years a few teams posters have had an obsession with getting a small fast crumbing goal-kicker.

its the stupidest thing ive ever heard of.

get a skilled hard working midfield delivering to competitive forwards and your crumbers will look like champs.

how do you think callinan wouldve looked in ports or melb's forward line this year??

if you want to look at someone like ben kennedy you would be taking him for his competitive ball winning ability and skills.

I agree with most of this, but you've raised the KPD before. If Carlile and Chappy stay next year, we absolutely should not be drafting a KPD with our first pick...

Why "if they stay"? They've stayed the last 2-3 years and have been inept for a majority of the time: Alipate "arms by the side defence" Carlile and Troy "can't hit a target + drop chest marks" Chaplin.

Occasionally they put forward some cracking efforts, but after 5 years of playing together these 2 should be consistently good by now and the pillars of a rock solid defence... but it isn't the case. Carlile was even dropped this year for being unfit and Chappy's skill errors cost us min 5 goals from turnovers in the Showdown.

We have next to no back up should they stay, their s**t form continues or if they get injured. Salter is persistently injured (and is still learning his defence role) and Blee is rookie cutting his teeth in the SANFL.

But as we agreed... pick the best available... can't go wrong.:thumbsu:

- KP defender.

We're not going to pick up an "instant" ruckman. Got faith our midfield overall will be ok once all are fit and develop (Boak, Gray, Pearce, HH, Ebert, Broady, Stewart, Moore, Jacobs, Wingard, Pfeiffer plus others upcomers/trades)... but a fast and skillful player would help spread and cut up teams.

KP defender to keep pressure on (or replace) Chappy, Carlile and JT.

i think foremost we need a skilled pacey mid.

i agree i think a key defender is high on our priority list. we need someone to develop to create pressure for a spot but also for when carlile chaplin retire. if chappy is about 26ish we should almost be adding talls now to have them ready.

i dont see a tall defender really standing out at our first pick though, plowman is rated very highly and is a rebounding defender and the only name thrown up in top ten talks.

one that interests me is kristian jacksch. 194cm can play forward or back, if it gets to our 2nd round pick and he is available then ild be happy for the club to weigh up the midfield options available against him.

We need genuine game breakers. Our team at the moment is filled with hard workers but not many players who will grab game by the scruff of the neck and win it. Players like menzel and stringer should be high priority despite injury concerns.

the past few years a few teams posters have had an obsession with getting a small fast crumbing goal-kicker.

its the stupidest thing ive ever heard of.

get a skilled hard working midfield delivering to competitive forwards and your crumbers will look like champs.
I don't think its essential, but the types of supposed goalsneaks that we have are missing several key features - eg. Hitchcock can crumb, but he's got no trick kicks - if its not a set shot or straight on the run, he's ordinary. Brett Ebert can't crumb. Gray should be in midfield and you'd doubt he'll ever get his agility back. Wingard should theoretically end up in midfield quickly.

A guy like Eddie Betts or Stephen Milne would be good. Both were rookie picks, we just need to look for the right features (agility and skill, not speed and/or marking necessarily)

Definitely doesn't belong in a discussion about a first round pick.

Just on Garlett - he's a super talent no doubt. I do have some queries though after seeing him play a bit over the last couple of seasons. Last year in the WAFL colts I saw him and he absolutely dominated having something like 39 disposals, 4 goals, 12 inside 50's and god knows how many running bounces. He just did as he pleased as he was way too quick and agile for anyone to get near him. He doesn't like passing the ball off very much though much to the annoyance of a few Swans parents who I was sitting near and whilst his disposal around the ground looked classy he mucked up some simple shots on goal where he could have hit up a free teammate in the forward line.

His championship games last year were a bit flashy, but nevertheless for an underage player he always looked as though he was worrying the opposition sides defence. Played out the year mostly in the Swans league side and did reasonably well. Didn't start the year too well this year, being dropped from the AIS program, played a bit of league for Swans early. He was brilliant in the WA 18's v 21's game, simply unstoppable, roving the ball off the ruckman and dashing through/around packs taking a bounce and drilling it into the forwardline. At underage level it's really evident that he has poise and skill well above his peers. However I'm not sure if he ever has really had to deal with a tag in representative footy as the AFL and the representative bodies frown upon that preferring the games be free and open allowing players to show off their talents - obviously a huge advantage to Garlett. In the championships he showed that he is a genuine midfield prospect with terrific skills (see the goal he kicked on a windy day from the fence at Geelong). Though he didn't really dispel the general consensus that he doesn't have a defensive side to his game.

It's interesting to think about whether it's a good thing for young footballer to be selfish - does it show they have extreme confidence in their abilities, like all the champions in the AFL? Or does it show a lack of respect for his teammates? Or whether it's indicative of the way the championships are supposed to be played, as a meat market rather than a team orientated competition?

Off the field, I don't think theres really much to worry about with Garlett. Not that much different to plenty of recent draftees and isn't that much different to other members of the WA U18 side. It was interesting to hear that Garlett would like to go interstate for his footy career to move away from the negative influences in his neighbourhood, showing that he is pretty mature compared to a lot of draftees.

If Pearce goes, I think we make him priority number one. If not then we wathc and wait and whoever is the best available at our pick, we take.

I want Grundy but we won't get him. I want Toumpas and we might get him. Would be happy with Kennedy as I think height can be over rated for a mid. I don't know a great deal about the non-SA lads.

If we could get McDonough late second round we should. Screams Paul Chapman in 5 years time and his foot skills on both sides are outstanding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back