Analysis Our first selection in the draft [confirmed - selection #4]

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with Stephenson is that you just don't know what you're getting long term. Could be a once in a decade talent, could be Jarred Grant. At least with the consensus "big 4" you're pretty much guaranteed a better than average midfielder even if they don't become genuinely elite.
You gotta risk it to get the biscuit!

What do Giants need at pick 4?
Key defenders and pressure forwards. General forwards who can get an AFL gig based on pressure aren't pick 4 types so KPDs.

Basically they're a team full of kids who have been the best player in every team they've ever been in and leave the tackling to lesser mortals. If they were smart they'd stock up on 3rd round picks and draft a few kids who want to work hard.

Has everyone forgot about Darcy Fogarty? Yes he had a poor championship but before that he was being spoken about as the standout number one pick.

Thanks to Knightmare:
Darcy Fogarty (SA)

Best position: Utility
Height, weight: 192cm, 88kg
Recruited from: Glenelg
Projected draft range: first round
Similar to: Jack Darling
July Ranking: 10
Rationale: Out for the season with a small meniscus tear he carried through the Under-18 Championships. Lack of a clear best position and below expectation 2017 performances sees Fogarty rated here despite early season hype.
Strengths:
Strength
Contested-ball winning
Clearances
Contested marking
Body-on-body strength
Fend-offs
Stands up through tackles
Courage
Competitiveness
Versatility to play anywhere other than ruck
Scoreboard impact
Clean ball user by hand and foot
Vision
Decision making
High leap
Evasion
Agility
Weaknesses:
Endurance
Unclear best position
Production
Inconsistent performances
Poor Under-18 Championships

Thanks to Knightmare:
Darcy Fogarty (SA)

Best position: Utility
Height, weight: 192cm, 88kg
Recruited from: Glenelg
Projected draft range: first round
Similar to: Jack Darling
July Ranking: 10
Rationale: Out for the season with a small meniscus tear he carried through the Under-18 Championships. Lack of a clear best position and below expectation 2017 performances sees Fogarty rated here despite early season hype.
Strengths:
Strength
Contested-ball winning
Clearances
Contested marking
Body-on-body strength
Fend-offs
Stands up through tackles
Courage
Competitiveness
Versatility to play anywhere other than ruck
Scoreboard impact
Clean ball user by hand and foot
Vision
Decision making
High leap
Evasion
Agility
Weaknesses:
Endurance
Unclear best position
Production
Inconsistent performances
Poor Under-18 Championships

You'd be drafting him off no good football of note this year. Yes he was injured but still, to use a top 4 pick would be pure speculation.

If we were in st kilda position of two picks around 10, sure take a punt. But if we use this pick by god do we need to nail it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd be drafting him off no good football of note this year. Yes he was injured but still, to use a top 4 pick would be pure speculation.

If we were in st kilda position of two picks around 10, sure take a punt. But if we use this pick by god do we need to nail it.
I think he could be the best player in this draft.

Isnt every pick a risk? There is no guarantee.
Sure. He has some physical attributes that makes him stand out against smaller bodies. One of those missing attributes is fitness.

He has no clear position. He hasn't shown a great deal of work that suggests he can cut it in the midfield. And his forward line work is along way behind Rayner.

When we are crying out for mids, a talent should need to have more runs on the board to be taken by us at 4.

Key defenders and pressure forwards. General forwards who can get an AFL gig based on pressure aren't pick 4 types so KPDs.

Basically they're a team full of kids who have been the best player in every team they've ever been in and leave the tackling to lesser mortals. If they were smart they'd stock up on 3rd round picks and draft a few kids who want to work hard.
Sounds like they need a spitta clone!

Whenever I read these profiles and a knock on a first round player is endurance I cringe. I don't want a flanker who might one day if they can build a tank play midfield. I want a genuine midfielder

Anyone got an idea on Cera's pace? I don't want anyone below Higgins pace at 4

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's slower than Higgins, he's taller though.

I'd compare it to Pendlebury's.

He's the best kick of the top 4 though.

LDU is similar to Cripps, people will probably scream given his pace. But he will probably be the best available at that point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back