Roast Our fitness department - highly offensive/offended

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s your problem? Don’t you go to the footy to hold hands and sing Kumbaya? Who cares if we never win a flag, that’s not the goal.

Where is that all positive thread, the one that died within a couple of days? I belong there.

I can't help but feel you're not being genuine with this post. Have you seen the Govs new haircut - awesome?

My view was that he took over a powerhouse and when he left they were also rans.

That he might be great but his record at the Brumbies was poor and not much of any achievement

If he left now, how would you rate his tenure?

I was happy with him prior to this year, but to only appear for the baseball and Sloane signing announcements and not be seen for the rest of the disaster of a year is shithouse.

How many of our on field issues come down to fitness?

Even during the pre-season where everyone was all happy clappy, we got overrun late in all of our games.

Our young guys (including McAdam) have struggled in comparison to those of other clubs. They all struggle to run games out, even ones who have been here a couple of years.

Senior players like Laird, Atkins, Matt Crouch, Jenkins have all looked overweight and unfit at times this year. Those Baron von Crow gifs really highlight how bad the jogging epidemic has become.

The players who perform the best seem to be those who have done a lot of training away from the main group in rehab or otherwise (CEY, Smith, Seed, ROB).

Thoughts?

Early in the year we started poorly and finished strong. Dominated last quarters in some games for minimal reward.

But the GPS numbers don't lie, we cover less ground than other sides.

Even during the pre-season where everyone was all happy clappy, we got overrun late in all of our games.

Our young guys (including McAdam) have struggled in comparison to those of other clubs. They all struggle to run games out, even ones who have been here a couple of years.

Senior players like Laird, Atkins, Matt Crouch, Jenkins have all looked overweight and unfit at times this year. Those Baron von Crow gifs really highlight how bad the jogging epidemic has become.

The players who perform the best seem to be those who have done a lot of training away from the main group in rehab or otherwise (CEY, Smith, Seed, ROB).

Thoughts?
#elitestandards
#formulaonefootball

Distant memories. Even in the Crowbot era we were renowned as a bloody fit side, now a department of the club which has always been a competition leader is simply pathetic.

Thanks Brett and Co

#elitestandards
#formulaonefootball

Distant memories. Even in the Crowbot era we were renowned as a bloody fit side, now a department of the club which has always been a competition leader is simply pathetic.

Thanks Brett and Co
It seems we have two possible settings:

1. Super fit but with heavy injury toll

2. Unfit but with minimal injuries

#elitestandards
#formulaonefootball

Thanks Brett and Co

The Phil Walsh terms and philosophies will always stick in my head.

On the fitness side, we are currently a far cry from the Nick Poulos led high performance department.

Again I cannot express how disappointed I am with the club and its appointments over the past three years, it's unhappy place and not a destination club, what is happening on the field doesn't lie.

The Phil Walsh terms and philosophies will always stick in my head.

On the fitness side, we are currently a far cry from the Nick Poulos led high performance department.

Again I cannot express how disappointed I am with the club and its appointments over the past three years, it's unhappy place and not a destination club, what is happening on the field doesn't lie.
I see they have put a line thru CEY for the season after continually hearing 1-2weeks 1-2 weeks who diagnose and rehabs these players

We are clearly one of the least fit teams in the competition.

For all of the fanfare about Saunders, the response to last years disaster appears to have been to back off completely.

And let’s not forgot the crap about CEY and Keath’s injuries.

Don't forget McHenry. We don't even get club spin on his injury. Just silence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all of the fanfare about Saunders, the response to last years disaster appears to have been to back off completely.

Saunders wasn't about fitness, rather injury management, and the kanga system. As for "crap about injuries", you've got to understand that bodies and injuries aren't a one size fits all.

Hes all about injury management and rehab, not fitness.

Saunders wasn't about fitness, rather injury management, and the kanga system. As for "crap about injuries", you've got to understand that bodies and injuries aren't a one size fits all.

If they can’t tell the difference between a 1-2 week and a 12 week injury; they’re incompetent.

Pretty sure he would be in charge of the fitness program don't you think?He is the football operations manager and last time I looked running the game out was pretty important to winning the game.
I think they moved him away from the fitness program after last years debacle. Hass was in charge I think.

Thoughts?

Couldn't agree more ... Tex and Hartigan are both carrying 2-3 Kg's more than they need to as well .

Not really.

2 blokes at my local footy club had the same injury pre season, same surgery.... one came back on schedule, one came back 3 weeks later.

Your local club is as well resourced as the AFC?

And a 3 week difference returning from injury is still not as significant as the BS assessment regarding CEY.

Last edited:

We cover the least ground out of any team in the competition and average around 25-30% less repeat sprints than the top 6 teams in that area . HUGE !!
Combine just those 2 stats alone and it is no wonder why we are f..ked . We are by far the worst team for game day fitness in the league .

Your local club is as well resourced as the AFC?

And a 3 week difference returning from injury is still not as significant as the BS assessment regarding CEY.
They do have the same surgeon and did their rehab through sportsmed.

I think he's "doing a Patton" and wants to get himself right for his new club.

These are all very relevant observations, I have commented several times about our perceived/real/apparent lack of fitness, but what strikes me about the current team is just how big they are, no doubt we have some very physically solid players who must be at their career highs for both body-weight and weights being pressed/benched etc... don't have access to these stats but the club will. It strikes me that a concerted effort has been made to enable the team to absorb injuries better, but this has meant as the season drags on, almost everyone is carrying something and yet still wanting to/presenting to play but not necessarily at their best, often I feel this has an impact on repeat efforts and ability to run the game out.

All of this should be abundantly clear to the head of fitness, and as a result strategies can be employed to ensure we have a competitive physical performance profile when compared to other teams, I suspect this season we would comfortably be one of the worst. Someone needs to answer for this......

As an observation, there are so many ways to be competitive in the AFL and one strategy related to fitness which we seem to have missed completely is leveraging the list more to rotate players out of the side when they need respite. If you look at our list profile of first picked players and the rest, very few carry far too much load, this is generally not the players fault, but an expectation must be maintained that every one on the list enables the club to perform and that also includes a healthy level of rotation of roles in and out of the first 22 to gain an advantage in fitness and wear and tear.

Something to work on in the off season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back