Roast Our fitness department - highly offensive/offended

Remove this Banner Ad

So Sloane's injury has been extended by 4 weeks. The AFC deserves all the bad press coming it's way. And in a premiership window - incompetent ****s.

Considering the injury, this is hardly surprising.

Also considering the player in question, we'd be wanting to keep this one as quiet as possible.

Oct 8, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Sturt
Um... they had a TBC the last week or so. How is that extending it by 4 weeks? They’ve actually GOT a date now.
Well, with Sloane, initially it was a week out, that then turned into 3, then he did the second injury, that was given an additional 2 weeks, and now we are 4 away; 9 weeks in total. That's where the 4 week extension comes in. I saw a bit of commentary at the time of the second injury that it was a minimum 7 week recovery.

Brad Crouch, Tex and Knight have had similar injury stories. Small time expected out, worsening of the condition and then extended period out.

I think that this points to 1 of 3 things happening:

1 The club is deliberately playing down injuries
2 The club is underestimating the severity of injuries
3 The club is mismanaging recovery

Firstly, I don't believe that there is a serious misinformation effort from the club I think that they have been caught out making early calls on injuries that have turned worse than expected. I do think that they have exacerbated the perception problem by not admitting that something is going wrong upfront and by using weasel words like "awareness". This smells of spin and is the blood in the water for journo's and conspiracy posters alike.

I am concerned though about the strength of our high performance department, they clearly overcooked the goose during pre-season and have underestimated injury early in the season.
I have noticed a distinct change in the past few weeks though. It appears that we are now taking a longer term approach to bringing people back and putting blokes through mini preseasons. If we can right the ship after the bye I think that we will be well placed to have a decent deep run in the finals.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Um... they had a TBC the last week or so. How is that extending it by 4 weeks? They’ve actually GOT a date now.

You’re underestimating how much PR has had an influence on this.

Sloane and Walker now have a timeline...as does every injured player apart from Smith and Crouch who have long-term layoffs.

It appears the club has listened to member feedback last week and just tweaked its approach ever so slightly.

Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
So Sloane's injury has been extended by 4 weeks. The AFC deserves all the bad press coming it's way. And in a premiership window - incompetent ****s.

Not surprising. When they mentioned Lisfranc, there was no chance he'd be back after a couple of weeks. I doubt Sloane will actually be able to get back this season, but I've got a feeling they won't want to announce that as way of managing fan expectations.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Not surprising. When they mentioned Lisfranc, there was no chance he'd be back after a couple of weeks. I doubt Sloane will actually be able to get back this season, but I've got a feeling they won't want to announce that as way of managing fan expectations.
Also buyer beware issues. Though if Rory and another club have decided on terms its only the deal to be done that can be affected

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think you took it too literally. They said Sloane would be "rested for 2 weeks before assessing him". Seems like he's done the resting part and now they're doing the rehab and conditioning to get him right.
Are you thinking 2 weeks rest, and he'd play right away?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
You’re underestimating how much PR has had an influence on this.

Sloane and Walker now have a timeline...as does every injured player apart from Smith and Crouch who have long-term layoffs.

It appears the club has listened to member feedback last week and just tweaked its approach ever so slightly.
The PR thing might be a factor. The other thing I can think of, is that they're ensuring an absolute resting period first, to see how the injury responds. If Pain/swelling settles, then they can be somewhat more confident in making a prediction in the period of injury left until full recovery.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I think you took it too literally. They said Sloane would be "rested for 2 weeks before assessing him". Seems like he's done the resting part and now they're doing the rehab and conditioning to get him right.
Are you thinking 2 weeks rest, and he'd play right away?
Pyke muddied the waters a bit by saying he hoped he'd be back in 2-3 weeks, so everyone just takes that as gospel that he will. The official line from Burton and Hass never changed from he'd be given 2 weeks rest and then re-evaluated from there on how much longer he'd be out.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pyke muddied the waters a bit by saying he hoped he'd be back in 2-3 weeks, so everyone just takes that as gospel that he will. The official line from Burton and Hass never changed from he'd be given 2 weeks rest and then re-evaluated from there on how much longer he'd be out.
Thanks for clarifying this. I only remember them saying "rest for 2 weeks then assess".
With Lisfranc injury, people on here were fearing season ending or career ending. I made a point that it really depends on the severity. If it truly is a mild strain like they say it was, then Sloane would be a likely chance of a return after the bye I feel.

Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
With Lisfranc injury, people on here were fearing season ending or career ending. I made a point that it really depends on the severity. If it truly is a mild strain like they say it was, then Sloane would be a likely chance of a return after the bye I feel.

A return after the bye would be fantastic, but I feel this is still too optimistic. I'll just quote the paper I linked before in the "Game of Sloanes thread":

https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2017/march/lisfranc-injuries/

Non-operative management
Non-operative management is indicated only for patients who clinically present with a Lisfranc injury but have no evidence of instability or diastasis on weight-bearing radiographs. Often, an MRI shows a Lisfranc ligament sprain. Correct management of these patients is crucial, as purely ligamentous injuries often have a poor prognosis.1,4 Physiotherapy input would be a valuable addition at all stages of conservative management.

Recently, it has been suggested that these patients be managed in a progressive, stepwise fashion. For the first two weeks, the foot should be immobilised in a short walker boot with protective weight-bearing. After the initial two weeks, the patient should be re-examined and weight-bearing radiographs repeated.1,9 If there is no tenderness over the joint line and no diastasis on imaging, the patient should be encouraged to weight-bear with the short boot as tolerated for the next six to eight weeks. Once the patient is pain-free under abducted stress, they can swap to a stiff-soled shoe with rigid orthotic support for the next six months. Running on uneven surfaces and twisting activities should be discouraged for the first three to four months, to minimise the risk of recurrence. Athletes should expect a recovery period of at least 6–12 months before returning to competitive activity is possible.1

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
A return after the bye would be fantastic, but I feel this is still too optimistic. I'll just quote the paper I linked before in the "Game of Sloanes thread":
I don't get too carried away with all the evidence and articles. I often just look at the player on footage during the course of injury, and see how it fits with the estimate of return with the injury update. Sloane has recently done an interview where he is walking around, without any obvious gait affected and looking comfortable. This tells us it fits with a mild strain rather than a serious form of Lisfranc. So hopefully he's on track for a return soon rather than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't get too carried away with all the evidence and articles. I often just look at the player on footage during the course of injury, and see how it fits with the estimate of return with the injury update. Sloane has recently done an interview where he is walking around, without any obvious gait affected and looking comfortable. This tells us it fits with a mild strain rather than a serious form of Lisfranc. So hopefully he's on track for a return soon rather than later.

Do you happen to have a link to this interview where Rory is walking around?

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sorry to intrude again, but this is hard to read as a Physio. I'm sure he's doing far more than just strength work as mentioned in this tweet, but persistent groin issues are symptomatic of either stiff hips or a dysfunctional lower back. Most often completely asymptomatic.

You can throw all the strength and/or eventual rest at the issue but you can't outsmart stiffness. You have to get at it and remove it otherwise he'll never either a) be free of it or b) be free of the potential to have it.

Hope to see him out on the field ASAP.
83425d9c04c920f6e1aa191a9b4404a4.jpg

FantasticShirt

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2010
Melbourne + Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sorry to intrude again, but this is hard to read as a Physio. I'm sure he's doing far more than just strength work as mentioned in this tweet, but persistent groin issues are symptomatic of either stiff hips or a dysfunctional lower back. Most often completely asymptomatic.

You can throw all the strength and/or eventual rest at the issue but you can't outsmart stiffness. You have to get at it and remove it otherwise he'll never either a) be free of it or b) be free of the potential to have it.

I have 0 faith in the current club staff to be able to sort out something as difficult as Brad’s persistent injury issues.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Hi mate, wouldn't our Crows physios think of managing his other body parts linked with the groin? Is this an extra diploma course regarding your content or this is something most physios would think of?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
So tomorrow we learn none of Matt Crouch, Milera or Brownie will play and all three are out for another two to three weeks.

#hamstringspincycle

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Matt Crouch didn't sound super confident on 5aa. Said he tried to play last week but pulled up poorly after the captain's run. Said that he didn't re-do his hamstring or anything, just a bit of general soreness and didn't feel quite right. Rowey asked if he'd be playing in Alice Springs and he was non-committal, saying that he'd have to get through tomorrow's training.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi mate, wouldn't our Crows physios think of managing his other body parts linked with the groin? Is this an extra diploma course regarding your content or this is something most physios would think of?
To be fair im not sure. The industry is at a bit of tipping point where the large majority of us work to a more ingrained, narrow minded set of ideas. The rise of the internet and information sharing has made things far more easily accessible than it used to be, but for some reason a lot still miss the simple things that require a little broader perspective.

I certainly don't want to sound like I think that I have it and others dont, but I end up treating a lot of patients that passed through the hands of multiple therapists - who've all missed the point entirely.

Id like to think that your guys are on to it, but at the same time if they were perhaps Brad shouldn't have had such a poor run of it this year (and since he's been in the system as a 17yo).

The biggest issue with most persistent issues is that to fix them you need to get at the latent stiffnesses and tightness we unknowingly accrue. Strength is important but it can only add a buffer to the system, not fix it's function.

If a rusty cog causes another mechanical part to fail through compensation, reinforcing the injured part or even replacing it may help in the short term if at all, but the problem lies with the rusty cog not the failed part.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
To be fair im not sure. The industry is at a bit of tipping point where the large majority of us work to a more ingrained, narrow minded set of ideas. The rise of the internet and information sharing has made things far more easily accessible than it used to be, but for some reason a lot still miss the simple things that require a little broader perspective.

I certainly don't want to sound like I think that I have it and others dont, but I end up treating a lot of patients that passed through the hands of multiple therapists - who've all missed the point entirely.

Id like to think that your guys are on to it, but at the same time if they were perhaps Brad shouldn't have had such a poor run of it this year (and since he's been in the system as a 17yo).

The biggest issue with most persistent issues is that to fix them you need to get at the latent stiffnesses and tightness we unknowingly accrue. Strength is important but it can only add a buffer to the system, not fix it's function.

If a rusty cog causes another mechanical part to fail through compensation, reinforcing the injured part or even replacing it may help in the short term if at all, but the problem lies with the rusty cog not the failed part.
Most of us are hoping for some sort of review process as to why so many hammy and soft tissue injuries are occurring. I would like to think we'd look into the medicos/physios and what they're doing, and how consistent they are with the latest best practice approach. It's a bit of a weird one with BCrouch, because he's had recurrent issues for many years now, and was seemingly getting on top of it last year when he played really well to help us get to where we were last year. You would think BCrouch would have some sort of idea how to manage his groin better, but the prolonged layoff this year would suggest either bad luck has occurred or BCrouch/physios/medicos/Hass are still scratching their heads on how to best manage his training/recovery!

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Matt Crouch didn't sound super confident on 5aa. Said he tried to play last week but pulled up poorly after the captain's run. Said that he didn't re-do his hamstring or anything, just a bit of general soreness and didn't feel quite right. Rowey asked if he'd be playing in Alice Springs and he was non-committal, saying that he'd have to get through tomorrow's training.
But that he was confident of getting through tomorrow.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Most of us are hoping for some sort of review process as to why so many hammy and soft tissue injuries are occurring. I would like to think we'd look into the medicos/physios and what they're doing, and how consistent they are with the latest best practice approach. It's a bit of a weird one with BCrouch, because he's had recurrent issues for many years now, and was seemingly getting on top of it last year when he played really well to help us get to where we were last year. You would think BCrouch would have some sort of idea how to manage his groin better, but the prolonged layoff this year would suggest either bad luck has occurred or BCrouch/physios/medicos/Hass are still scratching their heads on how to best manage his training/recovery!

He's a tough one, I feel for you guys as the supporters because there's clearly a local factor at play in terms of why you've had such a poor run of injuries, and that has to be a pain in the ass to witness first hand. I guess the broader stuff is the stuff that the industry as a whole seems to miss and that's potentially been at play over the course of his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back