Roast Our fitness department - highly offensive/offended

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the link.

In terms of your gait assessment, there are a few issues.

The most obvious one is there is no indication as to when the footage was taken and it’s possible it was done before the injury.

The more problematic issue is that it is impossible to assess gait when the limbs involved are obscured, and in this case the surfboard and camera angles limit this for most of the clip. It is only in the last few seconds after the all questions have been asked, where Rory can be observed from behind to take 3 steps before the clip ends. The views are inadequate, as there was no footage of Rory walking from the front where is legs were visible, and there were no additional movements made that that would potentially provoke the midfoot area. On that basis, from that video I don't think any reliable comment about his gait as it would pertain to his current injury can be made.

Most of us are hoping for some sort of review process as to why so many hammy and soft tissue injuries are occurring. I would like to think we'd look into the medicos/physios and what they're doing, and how consistent they are with the latest best practice approach. It's a bit of a weird one with BCrouch, because he's had recurrent issues for many years now, and was seemingly getting on top of it last year when he played really well to help us get to where we were last year. You would think BCrouch would have some sort of idea how to manage his groin better, but the prolonged layoff this year would suggest either bad luck has occurred or BCrouch/physios/medicos/Hass are still scratching their heads on how to best manage his training/recovery!

Who do you think should conduct the review?

Thanks for the link.

In terms of your gait assessment, there are a few issues.

The most obvious one is there is no indication as to when the footage was taken and it’s possible it was done before the injury.

The more problematic issue is that it is impossible to assess gait when the limbs involved are obscured, and in this case the surfboard and camera angles limit this for most of the clip. It is only in the last few seconds after the all questions have been asked, where Rory can be observed from behind to take 3 steps before the clip ends. The views are inadequate, as there was no footage of Rory walking from the front where is legs were visible, and there were no additional movements made that that would potentially provoke the midfoot area. On that basis, from that video I don't think any reliable comment about his gait as it would pertain to his current injury can be made.
You're very right in terms of the vagueness of when the video was actually taken. Still likely to be a recent one, as there is no reason why they would take an early video and delaying it to be shown just a few days ago. Imagine this footage was actually the precursor to the surfing he did which caused the Lisfanc! lol

Let's assume it is a recent video, agreed his gait wasn't seen in a proper manner. However, if you can carry a surfboard and walk and talk whilst looking comfortable, this should mean he's very close to his natural pre-injured gait. And the last part was reassuring how he sat down taking off his socks, and then he got up in the standing position without any obvious hindrance whatsoever. I really do hope it's a recent footage as these are all positive signs!

Who do you think should conduct the review?
For starters, the club needs to do an internal review and to start seeing on how they can improve the situation. This is already happening from the way players are being managed, being rested early, different injury jargons etc.

If we do genuinely want to improve the situation for next year and beyond, we'd need an external review from someone independent of the club. This person would need to be very knowledgable in the field of sports medicine, otherwise the review wouldn't work. Or maybe they need a few people to do a proper review, but certainly an independent review externally will be better for us in the long run.

So tomorrow we learn none of Matt Crouch, Milera or Brownie will play and all three are out for another two to three weeks.

#hamstringspincycle

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Or they play 1 game and then they are out for 2-3 weeks.

Lets be honest we will not be seeing Sloane or Crouch again this year and maybe even Tex.

Have you ever seen a club self destruct like the AFC in the middle of a premiership window.

Lets be honest we will not be seeing Sloane or Crouch again this year and maybe even Tex.

Have you ever seen a club self destruct like the AFC in the middle of a premiership window.
Jesus. Do you ever read the tripe you write? o_O

He's a tough one, I feel for you guys as the supporters because there's clearly a local factor at play in terms of why you've had such a poor run of injuries, and that has to be a pain in the ass to witness first hand. I guess the broader stuff is the stuff that the industry as a whole seems to miss and that's potentially been at play over the course of his career.

Meh...we've watched A grade players walk out the door, an incompetent, weak football dept cost us 2 years of draft picks so this, this disaster, is just a walk in the park for us.

No one deals with self inflicted hardships like the AFC supportbase.

He's a tough one, I feel for you guys as the supporters because there's clearly a local factor at play in terms of why you've had such a poor run of injuries, and that has to be a pain in the ass to witness first hand. I guess the broader stuff is the stuff that the industry as a whole seems to miss and that's potentially been at play over the course of his career.

Maybe one day Brad might look at who he has trusted his future in and think....*Haas and Burton, are they really best in show*.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think osteitis pubis is more a problem since birth (eg. anatomical weakness)? And that only certain players are prone to getting these condition? You don't hear much of these conditions these days, and none of the other current Crows players have had this issue. I'm starting to think that certain bodies aren't made to play a full season of footy!

Do you think osteitis pubis is more a problem since birth (eg. anatomical weakness)? And that only certain players are prone to getting these condition? You don't hear much of these conditions these days, and none of the other current Crows players have had this issue. I'm starting to think that certain bodies aren't made to play a full season of footy!
I think there is some merit in this as does this from a link I supplied previously.

Patriots Hamstrings

Initially intended as a research project, Elliott and the Patriots’ sports medicine staff began the program by individually assessing the team at the end of the season to identify potential weaknesses and imbalances. These factors included hamstring muscle strength, muscle coordination, pelvic alignment while sprinting, and running technique. Players were then given a position-specific program that corrected any observed deficiencies, even addressing sprinting technique. The results were significant: prior to implementing the program, the Patriots had 22 players suffer hamstring injuries, but after the program was implemented that number dropped to three and then two the following season.

Its a good question, but to be honest, not really. Its certainly an idea that makes sense on the surface, but all the symptoms of OP should go away once you get to the heart of its pre-existing factors.

Its always hard to give a sense of this over the net, but we often gravitate to these bigger ideas because the true issues often don't stand out unless you hunt for them.

Genetically, the Crouch Bros may have been born with slightly less resilient tissues, but even then the body is so robust and tolerant they should only ever injure if they've unknowingly accrued some sneaky mechanical dysfunction.

For reference, I treated an 18yo footballer for the first time this morning with a persistent groin issue and as soon as I freed his back up his symptoms melted away by about 50% immediately. His pain dropped off, his strength returned somewhat and his ability to squat progressed. His hips were far stiffer than any 18yo should be so he has a few things to nail for it to disappear quickly.

The issue is that he's seen a few people along the way who've thrown core and glute strength at him - which is fair enough - but they potentially missed the point completely.

His and Brad's groins are clearly attached to different people (giggidy) and may look a little different on a scan, but they are still both human groins that strive to function the same.

Hope that made sense!

I think there is some merit in this as does this from a link I supplied previously.

Patriots Hamstrings

Initially intended as a research project, Elliott and the Patriots’ sports medicine staff began the program by individually assessing the team at the end of the season to identify potential weaknesses and imbalances. These factors included hamstring muscle strength, muscle coordination, pelvic alignment while sprinting, and running technique. Players were then given a position-specific program that corrected any observed deficiencies, even addressing sprinting technique. The results were significant: prior to implementing the program, the Patriots had 22 players suffer hamstring injuries, but after the program was implemented that number dropped to three and then two the following season.

This is a really nice article. Its also an example of why we may certainly be able to help buffer against 19-20 Hamstring injuries, without eliminating all 22 of them for good. There's a bigger issue at play.

For example:
Hamstring strength and muscle coordination are a legacy of lower back function. If your back is less stable and more stiff your hamstrings will get recruited to help out and won't produce the same force or control.

Pelvic alignment and your perceived "natural" running technique will be heavily influenced by your sitting habits. As we sit more, we accrue stiffer hips. Most sit asymmetrically in a chair or at the computer and without realising we might see poor pelvic alignment. If your hips are stiffer, the way you "naturally" run won't be your inherent technique, but the one your body will default towards to best compensate for accrued stiffness and tightness.

It's great to see these things being addressed but there's a deeper, even less obvious and absolutely less interesting level to these things.

Last edited:
Its a good question, but to be honest, not really. Its certainly an idea that makes sense on the surface, but all the symptoms of OP should go away once you get to the heart of its pre-existing factors.

Its always hard to give a sense of this over the net, but we often gravitate to these bigger ideas because the true issues often don't stand out unless you hunt for them.

Genetically, the Crouch Bros may have been born with slightly less resilient tissues, but even then the body is so robust and tolerant they should only ever injure if they've unknowingly accrued some sneaky mechanical dysfunction.

For reference, I treated an 18yo footballer for the first time this morning with a persistent groin issue and as soon as I freed his back up his symptoms melted away by about 50% immediately. His pain dropped off, his strength returned somewhat and his ability to squat progressed. His hips were far stiffer than any 18yo should be so he has a few things to nail for it to disappear quickly.

The issue is that he's seen a few people along the way who've thrown core and glute strength at him - which is fair enough - but they potentially missed the point completely.

His and Brad's groins are clearly attached to different people (giggidy) and may look a little different on a scan, but they are still both human groins that strive to function the same.

Hope that made sense!
I think we're talking 2 separate issues:
1. Optimising all the core strength and looking after all the neighboring muscles to help minimise the risk of injuries.
2. People born with weak anatomical structures.

The first point in the above is what you're emphasising on, and I suspect will help to reduce the recurrent hamstrings and other soft tissue ailments. The second point in the above (my line of questioning), is relating to players who tend to retire early due to degenerative injuries or chronic recurrent injuries. I feel that Brad is one of those that has a weak structure that no matter how well we look after him, his pubic symphysis does not allow him to undergo the duress of a full season of footy. This is something obviously hypothetical, as it's going to be hard to prove because scans (when he's healthy) will not tell you how frail his groin structures are compared with the typical footballer.

Just a quick thought. Mrouch never had hamstring issues, then Naismith lines him up and falls directly into his back with his knees. 5 minutes later mrouch pings his first hammy. We know hamstrings are related to the back. Hes had trouble ever since yet Naismith went unpunished for a dog act. I feel the afc missed something there....

I think we're talking 2 separate issues:
1. Optimising all the core strength and looking after all the neighboring muscles to help minimise the risk of injuries.
2. People born with weak anatomical structures.

The first point in the above is what you're emphasising on, and I suspect will help to reduce the recurrent hamstrings and other soft tissue ailments. The second point in the above (my line of questioning), is relating to players who tend to retire early due to degenerative injuries or chronic recurrent injuries. I feel that Brad is one of those that has a weak structure that no matter how well we look after him, his pubic symphysis does not allow him to undergo the duress of a full season of footy. This is something obviously hypothetical, as it's going to be hard to prove because scans (when he's healthy) will not tell you how frail his groin structures are compared with the typical footballer.

I appreciate where you are coming from but we are talking about the same thing.

I may not have been super clear at first, but one of the points i was hoping to make is that the human body is designed to be robust and handle plenty of punishment by default. We aren't born with weak anatomical structures. We only develop them over time thanks to the modern world.

One big mistake made is that we have let people assume that degenerative injuries and chronic recurrent injuries are in some way "natural" and "expected" and by default can't be prevented. They can. Its the SAME idea when people blame age. Things don't breakdown because of age they breakdown because of ongoing exposure to bad mechanics accrued via the modern world.

I certainly appreciate where you are coming from, but the reality is that we are supposed to function normally without risk of injury by default. Almost any and all developed issues are the legacy of things we can change and/or prevent - and we can see this in real time because we can change these factors and see the issues resolve.

I appreciate where you are coming from but we are talking about the same thing.

I may not have been super clear at first, but one of the points i was hoping to make is that the human body is designed to be robust and handle plenty of punishment by default. We aren't born with weak anatomical structures. We only develop them over time thanks to the modern world.

One big mistake made is that we have let people assume that degenerative injuries and chronic recurrent injuries are in some way "natural" and "expected" and by default can't be prevented. They can. Its the SAME idea when people blame age. Things don't breakdown because of age they breakdown because of ongoing exposure to bad mechanics accrued via the modern world.

I certainly appreciate where you are coming from, but the reality is that we are supposed to function normally without risk of injury by default. Almost any and all developed issues are the legacy of things we can change and/or prevent - and we can see this in real time because we can change these factors and see the issues resolve.
I commend you for being so passionate with the preventative side of injuries. Though I don't think we are talking about the same thing. The issue with prevention of any types of conditions in general is that there is no guarantee, and certain individuals are prone to getting worsening/degeneration of body part(s) despite optimisation of management.
Think of people with optimal diet and exercise - some can get worsening diabetes/hypertension
Think of people who don't do any strenuous work/activity - some can still get significant degeneration or needing early surgeries

Brad certainly is a different kettle of fish compared with the others. Maybe it's something we just have to accept he can never do a full year of training/playing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back