Analysis Our form over the first half of the season, a good thing or a bad thing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok, so obviously we are sitting 2nd on the ladder i know that, i am quite content with the ladder positioning but i want to delve a bit deeper and dissect the form of our first half of the year. So we haven't really put together a 4 quarter performance and have been quite patchy in majority if not all of our games in my opinion, we get glimpses of our best and we start to think wow if we play like this we will be very hard to beat, but it hasn't happened often, just when we need it, a few examples of this are against Carlton and St.Kilda where we only played 1 good quarter of footy and still managed to win.

On our wins, they have been against Brisbane, Richmond, Port, Essendon, St.Kilda, Sydney, Melbourne, Dogs and Carlton. The first of the 3 are teams in the 8 so that's great and the remaining obviously outside. Our losses have been Geelong and West Coast who are both probably going to finish top 4 and Freo who i have finishing 8th in my ladder predictor.

As mentioned before every game we have played patchy in all of these games, we look great when we apply that high pressure and take the game on but always have moments where we just stop and start to chip it around which results in an eventual turnover. Back to my main question! Is it a good thing or bad thing? For me i am trying to look at it as a positive, you don't want to fire your shots to early and for us we have so much upside going into the 2nd half of the year, with so much talent going in and out of the side (De Goey, Elliott, Adams, Moore, Beams, Sier, Langdon etc) you get the feeling once these guys get back and we get some stability we can really start to play that consistent brand we want to play.

I believe our best is good enough, but i want to see more of it in the 2nd half, we will have some huge games coming up with teams that fancy themselves top 4 and it could be as little as % that could mean a home final or an away final first up. What do you guys think? Go pies! :)

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
We are sitting in a nice spot atm. I rekon we will lift after the bye. Adams, Elliot & hopefully shaz back in the side.
We really need to finish top 2, which I think we will. lots of work to go. Centre clearances need to improve back half of the season.

We are sitting in a nice spot atm. I rekon we will lift after the bye. Adams, Elliot & hopefully shaz back in the side.
We really need to finish top 2, which I think we will. lots of work to go. Centre clearances need to improve back half of the season.

I reckon the Cats top spot naile. Need to finish second or fourth. I'd hate us to have to go interstate, particularly Perth for our first final.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
I reckon the Cats top spot naile. Need to finish second or fourth. I'd hate us to have to go interstate, particularly Perth for our first final.
Giants away is an equally difficult proposition.

Giants away is an equally difficult proposition.

If we played Giants in Sydney in a final, half the crowd would be Collingwood supporters

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Our form is fine. We're in the box seat for a top 4 finish. We haven't peaked and have improvement in front of us. We were right in the contest for 2 of our 3 losses. Our injury list is currently manageable. We're doing well.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok, so obviously we are sitting 2nd on the ladder i know that, i am quite content with the ladder positioning but i want to delve a bit deeper and dissect the form of our first half of the year. So we haven't really put together a 4 quarter performance and have been quite patchy in majority if not all of our games in my opinion, we get glimpses of our best and we start to think wow if we play like this we will be very hard to beat, but it hasn't happened often, just when we need it, a few examples of this are against Carlton and St.Kilda where we only played 1 good quarter of footy and still managed to win.

On our wins, they have been against Brisbane, Richmond, Port, Essendon, St.Kilda, Sydney, Melbourne, Dogs and Carlton. The first of the 3 are teams in the 8 so that's great and the remaining obviously outside. Our losses have been Geelong and West Coast who are both probably going to finish top 4 and Freo who i have finishing 8th in my ladder predictor.

As mentioned before every game we have played patchy in all of these games, we look great when we apply that high pressure and take the game on but always have moments where we just stop and start to chip it around which results in an eventual turnover. Back to my main question! Is it a good thing or bad thing? For me i am trying to look at it as a positive, you don't want to fire your shots to early and for us we have so much upside going into the 2nd half of the year, with so much talent going in and out of the side (De Goey, Elliott, Adams, Moore, Beams, Sier, Langdon etc) you get the feeling once these guys get back and we get some stability we can really start to play that consistent brand we want to play.

I believe our best is good enough, but i want to see more of it in the 2nd half, we will have some huge games coming up with teams that fancy themselves top 4 and it could be as little as % that could mean a home final or an away final first up. What do you guys think? Go pies! :)

It's a bit good and a bit bad.

The good is out solid wins, winning ugly if we have to, and soldiering on despite some injuries.

The bad is, surprise surprise, the injuries. With a fit Elliot, a fitter De Goey, a fit Beams, Wells and Langdon, we're favourites for the flag. But I think we might be able to look forward to a fit Elliot and that's it. Sure, every team has injuries but Elliot, De goey and Wells are irreplaceable -- they're our X factors. Losing Wells is enough to put daylight between us as Geelong.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Better positioned than last year.

Nicely placed at 9 - 3

Rack up the 4 points and charge to finals.

Just take opportunity and we’ll be at the pointy end of September.

Should add we really should have iced at least for me, one extra game, but we didn’t.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Pre-season the Pies reportedly had THE toughest draw of the 2019 season.

2. We started with a loss and have had patchy games which have at times during the game ranged from extremely frustrating lethargy to euphoria inducing brilliance, both team and individual.

3. We have still had our fair share of injuries, but those most prone seem to be, for the moment, hanging in there.

4. We are in 2nd position on the ladder at the halfway mark, with a week to regroup, recover and reinvigorate for the run home, which now looks no less challenging than at the start of the year.

5. I am a lifelong Pies supporter so know only too well how life throws up razor sharp shrapnel to crush our hopes and dreams.

All in all a damned fine first half.

4 out of 5 chubbies.

Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I to believe we are in a good position, form wise we could be a lot better but as I said we dont want to peak to early, plenty of improvement left in us, the current form we will not beat Geelong or GWS imo, but first half of the year you just rack up the wins anyway possible that's all that matters, I want us to start peaking during that real tough patch from round 16 onwards

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I think the Giants have around 25K members these days (and their stadium only has 25K capacity)
That’s a big wow. Never thought AFL House employs that many people.

Would they go to a bigger venue for a final? That would make sense financially.

Haha, I don’t think GWS are quite that big yet!

Besides, I’d imagine they’d make more money with 25K at the Showgrounds stadium than they would with 40K at the Olympic stadium

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Haha, I don’t think GWS are quite that big yet!

Besides, I’d imagine they’d make more money with 25K at the Showgrounds stadium than they would with 40K at the Olympic stadium

I was thinking more in terms of our pulling power. It'd be a home game for them so they get the ticket sales. Although no idea how the stadium deals work up there. I might be over estimating our pulling power up there also, although I imagine a few would travel for a final.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
The team that has graced the field for the opening half of this year is not the team that will grace the field in September.
I believe that 5 or 6 players in the current 22 won’t be there come the real deal.
This is dependent on injuries of course. But we have plenty of players who can be tipped out by returning injured players or young talent staking a claim.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Right now there's a small chance we could hit a Grand Final at close to full strength

But it sounds like we'd need virtual miracles from Beams and Wells, everything would have to go right for Langdon and Elliott and no more hiccups for Adams and Scharenberg

It's a tall order and I'm less confident at the halfway mark than I was at the start of the season

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was thinking more in terms of our pulling power. It'd be a home game for them so they get the ticket sales. Although no idea how the stadium deals work up there. I might be over estimating our pulling power up there also, although I imagine a few would travel for a final.
I reckon to Sydney might be a bit of fun.

I’d usually fly up, but I was thinking even a road trip (if you have a few days spare). Just depends what agenda you go for.

Then again, if it’s a night game, plane up, I’d go to the Sydney races if it’s Randwick, then the footy as assume it would be SCG and it’s close enough to Randwick.
Spend the night maybe even an extra day. Just depends.

Lovely.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Right now there's a small chance we could hit a Grand Final at close to full strength

But it sounds like we'd need virtual miracles from Beams and Wells, everything would have to go right for Langdon and Elliott and no more hiccups for Adams and Scharenberg

It's a tall order and I'm less confident at the halfway mark than I was at the start of the season
Don’t rely on silverware with Beams or Wells.
Beams is a fragile player. In the right mindset he can be a match winner. But that frame of mind is a fragile and fleeting thing.
Wells is utter silk. In any team he could be the difference. But rely on him to string three or four senior games together to allow the selectors to take the punt in a GF?
No. Just No!
Like any Premiership, we will rely on our core 6. Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Grundy, Adams, Treloar, Moore.
After that we need the bit players to perform above and beyond their capabilities.
2010 had Macaffer, Goldsack, Blair, Brown all play above their normal output.
The Premiership rests on these types of players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back