Analysis Our forward line - KPF depth?

Remove this Banner Ad

At what point do we drop/trade one of Ryder and Belly and play Gumby/Joe as a forward/backup ruck? Gumby and Joe are much better forwards than Ryder or Belly, and we're too bloody tall and slow with our current arrangement.

Righto...

Whatever you have to say about Cram dog and Hurley, we're undeniably better with them in the side, and we're even better with Hurley in defence.

I think Carlisle has an undeniable presence as a forward. He commands the ball and just doesn't get outmarked, he's just too good in the air to lose, at worst you get a contest on the deck.

With that in mind, I think Carlisle as a CHF needs to happen for the next 3 weeks, presumably Hurley will be back next week, so he can play fullback. Hopefully we get crameri back next week as well.

Biggest problem is still delivery, tall timber is useless if you can't get it to them

My exact thoughts, although Hurley could be doubtful if he has a calf !

At what point do we drop/trade one of Ryder and Belly and play Gumby/Joe as a forward/backup ruck? Gumby and Joe are much better forwards than Ryder or Belly, and we're too bloody tall and slow with our current arrangement.

I have been asking for this to happen for 8 weeks.

At least if you have Hurley/Carlisle and Crameri - The Gumby type gets the third best defender.

It's funny, I was thinking that at least this year with some proper continuity, we will finally have a forward kick 40+ goals, maybe even 50. If not Hurley or Crameri, then Joe Daniher or Scott Gumbleton will step up. I was happy with Davey kicking an average of 2 or 3 goals a game last year and he was doing it this year too. Meanwhile, Angus Monfries is on track to kick 40+.

Watching someone looking up from 60-70 metres out and seeing a forward line of wax statues was just f***ing depressing.

It's funny, I was thinking that at least this year with some proper continuity, we will finally have a forward kick 40+ goals, maybe even 50. If not Hurley or Crameri, then Joe Daniher or Scott Gumbleton will step up. I was happy with Davey kicking an average of 2 or 3 goals a game last year and he was doing it this year too. Meanwhile, Angus Monfries is on track to kick 40+.

Watching someone looking up from 60-70 metres out and seeing a forward line of wax statues was just f***ing depressing.

To be fair though, none of our forwards have had an uninterrupted crack at it except from Kommer who would be roughly equal with Hooker in goals scored.

Bump. So we now have an (albeit tiny) sample to compare 2013 (Crameri, various celebrity cameos) to 2014 (Jake and Joe), and tentatively, so far so good.

They were both good on the deck and in the air, and didn't seem to be running all over each other, that will only improve in time as well.

Hardingham and Steiny both did some good things, but having said that, When Belcho gets up and running I reckon the better combination would be Jake, Joe +Ryder/TBC with smalls.

Speaking of, Colyer and Dell'Olio gave us s**t all, the the overall look of the forward line will only get better when you add Licha and Chappy, who are always in the right spots and make the right decisions, whereas Dell was constantly not.

positives :thumbsu:

Bump. So we now have an (albeit tiny) sample to compare 2013 (Crameri, various celebrity cameos) to 2014 (Jake and Joe), and tentatively, so far so good.

They were both good on the deck and in the air, and didn't seem to be running all over each other, that will only improve in time as well.

Hardingham and Steiny both did some good things, but having said that, When Belcho gets up and running I reckon the better combination would be Jake, Joe +Ryder/TBC with smalls.

Speaking of, Colyer and Dell'Olio gave us s**t all, the the overall look of the forward line will only get better when you add Licha and Chappy, who are always in the right spots and make the right decisions, whereas Dell was constantly not.

positives :thumbsu:

That's why having those 2 blokes in the team is going to be great because they can tell guys like Trav and Dell on where to lead and run.

Last edited:
Would've liked to see Thurlow more up forward but it seemed he played only backup to Ryder, was on the bench when not rucking. Not sure if that's just managing work load but come round 1 one of Thurlow or Daniher will be backup to Ryder meaning Daniher more time in the ruck or Thurlow more time up forward.

Daniher and Carlise plus one of Thurlow/Ryder/Bellchambers will stretch most defenses. Add some small to medium size guys like Winderlich and Chapman into the mix and it looks really good if they can get the chemistry right.

Felt weird not kicking it to the top of Alwyn Davey's head all the time like in the past, haha

We were still kicking it on the top of the number 29's head though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

overall was ok for a first hit out. Conditions werent perfect for 200cm forwards but there is A LOT to work with.

Thought Hardingham showed a bit as a 3rd forward option, more than Steinberg anyway. He looks a bit slow, and perhaps a bit of a liability when it hits the deck.

Jetta was good, Del not so much but sheesh, these guys have to get to the feet of the talls. They wont be outmarked much.

Obviously need to assess when the other half of our forwards play, but a fair bit to like and a fair bit to build on.

Steinberg looked too slow to put pressure on once the ball was being run out, Carlisle, JD and Hardi looked the best combination, add to that Chappy, Licha and resting mid and it looks a good set up.

Personally i wasn't a fan of the way the forward line worked with Steinberg there... He seemed to draw the ball away from JD and JC which is the last thing we want. Be interesting to see if they give that another go. Conversely, i really liked the way Hardi was able to just "bob up" for the mark when needed.
Nothing personal against Steinberg, just a question of style of player.

Thought that Steinberg and Carlisle didn't lead enough. Can't remember either taking a mark on the lead around the 50 or inside it. Joe D lead well and hit the packs hard. A note - Carlisle/Joe got 5 goals - 4 came from ground balls which is unsustainable. Will be interested to see how they go when Chapman and Winderlich return as they demand that forwards lead.

Thought that Steinberg and Carlisle didn't lead enough. Can't remember either taking a mark on the lead around the 50 or inside it. Joe D lead well and hit the packs hard. A note - Carlisle/Joe got 5 goals - 4 came from ground balls which is unsustainable. Will be interested to see how they go when Chapman and Winderlich return as they demand that forwards lead.
Not the case. Steinberg led consistently and pretty much to the right places, but was unable to get clear of his opponent. In fact he's the one who got the best ball delivered to him which unfortunately was wasted. My assumption was that he was the reason why Carlisle wasn't leading so much, which was the reason i wasn't happy with the setup.

Not the case. Steinberg led consistently and pretty much to the right places, but was unable to get clear of his opponent. In fact he's the one who got the best ball delivered to him which unfortunately was wasted. My assumption was that he was the reason why Carlisle wasn't leading so much, which was the reason i wasn't happy with the setup.

Agree that Carlisle must lead more. We know Carlisle can take a contested mark, and the best time to do this is, when you are one-on-one. Goddard,Chapman and Winderlich will insist the forwards lead.

So i'm thinking that TRB have not gotten over their Kommer lovin and he is an absolute lock all season again (presumable/hopefully with far more success!).
As such;
Kommer - Carlisle - Howlett/resting mid
Licka - JD - Chapman

It's a lock.
And we are clean out of room for new blood no matter where you would like to put it?

So i'm thinking that TRB have not gotten over their Kommer lovin and he is an absolute lock all season again (presumable/hopefully with far more success!).
As such;
Licka - JD - Chapman

It's a lock.
And we are clean out of room for new blood no matter where you would like to put it?
Has to be said with Kommer, Howlett and Chapman all there, it is a shin-boners forward line!

Licka - JD - Chapman

It's a lock.

Agree with that, and if that structure works I think we'll see JD getting a few weeks off when Bellchambers returns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back