Analysis Our forward line - KPF depth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully Tom BC can play a role like Redpath for doggies....need a bull, like Crameri was (maybe Jobe?), in there too. Fantasia is great....need to find another gun small to balance it out. Happy with the way our backs are shaping up. Also our mids...inside and out looking good for next year. Forward line stinks over the past few years. Get this area right and we will be a very good football team going forward.

Posted last week that Parish should spend more time forward - He is an exceptional ball handler which is a key trait for a small forward - Brown and JD are fine as the tall forwards - Langford has natural forward traits though he has struggled the last 2 weeks - Reckon Fantasia fumbles too much to be a small forward - Would persist with Baguley as a forward,though he needs to stop pushing too far up the ground.

What is overlooked is EFC don't get enough goals from their midfielders.

Didn't Francis have the 3rd most shots on goal in the tac cup last year? I'd try him this year before we go breaking the bank for a key forward.
It's not like he will leave a hole in our defense and we are about 100 goals behind the Hawks even with the 12 back.

Didn't Francis have the 3rd most shots on goal in the tac cup last year? I'd try him this year before we go breaking the bank for a key forward.
It's not like he will leave a hole in our defense and we are about 100 goals behind the Hawks even with the 12 back.

He's not a key position forward. Period/

Given that he's south Australian it'd be seriously impressive for him to have any shots in the TAC cup, let alone the third most

Hopefully Tom BC can play a role like Redpath for doggies....need a bull, like Crameri was (maybe Jobe?), in there too. Fantasia is great....need to find another gun small to balance it out. Happy with the way our backs are shaping up. Also our mids...inside and out looking good for next year. Forward line stinks over the past few years. Get this area right and we will be a very good football team going forward.

Redpath and Crameri vs Bellchambers and Watson?

If we want to reinvent the Dogs system on the back of the least mobile forward line of all time that would be a start.

Posted last week that Parish should spend more time forward - He is an exceptional ball handler which is a key trait for a small forward - Brown and JD are fine as the tall forwards - Langford has natural forward traits though he has struggled the last 2 weeks - Reckon Fantasia fumbles too much to be a small forward - Would persist with Baguley as a forward,though he needs to stop pushing too far up the ground.

What is overlooked is EFC don't get enough goals from their midfielders.
Would you remind everyone of what you had posted if Parish played forward and only got 5 touches and no goals? No you wouldn't. Fantasia has shown more as a small forward than Baguley ever will, this is because one is a small forward and one is a small defender. I know which one I would persist with as the small forward.

Watson at FF line could work. I think he's had a few runs there with some success? Still need to find one but Jobe would be great there! Would also be handy at throw ins inside 50?

Watson at FF line could work. I think he's had a few runs there with some success? Still need to find one but Jobe would be great there! Would also be handy at throw ins inside 50?
He's an awesome lead, always read what was happening up the ground.

If Watson comes back, I see him playing off the half forward flank like Hird used too. He reads the ball well and provides a great lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you remind everyone of what you had posted if Parish played forward and only got 5 touches and no goals? No you wouldn't. Fantasia has shown more as a small forward than Baguley ever will, this is because one is a small forward and one is a small defender. I know which one I would persist with as the small forward.

AS you saw Parish has some natural forward traits - Nothing wrong with my post suggesting that Parish spend more time forward in the next few weeks, as part of his development - Some players can find the ball more in the forward line - I am not a pariah in requesting Fantasia spend more time as a midfielder - I don't see Fantasia's future to be as a small forward - And Baguley has nothing to do with my post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Watson comes back, I see him playing off the half forward flank like Hird used too. He reads the ball well and provides a great lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watson needs to be a midfielder if he returns in 2017 - Has never shown a great deal as a forward.

The year before his brownlow he pinch hit there really well before his injury in round 9.

Then teams worked out what type of defender to play on Watson to nullify his strengths.

Then teams worked out what type of defender to play on Watson to nullify his strengths.

Remember this was before Daniher and Brown. He still marked forward but didn't convert that well.

Point being is we have to move forward in our build, we can't rely on 4-5 players rotating through the centre. If he wants to come back he'll need to add forward play to his game or he may as well retire.

That was in the championships he had a single game where he had 9 scoring shots, if he played in a good team he would annihilate it in the forward line doesn't matter to me what end he plays because he can play either end very well.

This is how you fix the forward line

Baguley Hurley Tippa
Dempsey Hartley Francis
Fantasia Heppell Laverde
Watson Hooker Redman
Langford Daniher (Ainsworth/Seaton)
R: Loon Merrett Parish

Colyer Goddard Long Zaharakis

Think this team would be perfectly fine scoring. X Factor.

What we have right now is a forward line with:

2x tall forwards who do their best work up the ground. (Daniher and Brown)
1x small forward with smarts in and around the forward 50 who can also progress up the field. (Fantasia)
1x medium forward who kicks goals and moves around the ground well. (Langford)
1x resting midfielder. (Parish)

Which is lacking something that ties all these parts together. A focal point who plays mostly out of the square. We need that pack-crashing, good mark and reliable set shot who will cause spillages for the likes of Fantasia, Parish and any others down there. It doesn't have to be anyone special necessarily. That's why next year I'd like to see round 1:

Langford - Brown - Daniher
Parish - Bellchambers - Fantasia

With players like Colyer, Watson, Merrett(s) etc rotating through there.

What we have right now is a forward line with:

2x tall forwards who do their best work up the ground. (Daniher and Brown)
1x small forward with smarts in and around the forward 50 who can also progress up the field. (Fantasia)
1x medium forward who kicks goals and moves around the ground well. (Langford)
1x resting midfielder. (Parish)

Which is lacking something that ties all these parts together. A focal point who plays mostly out of the square. We need that pack-crashing, good mark and reliable set shot who will cause spillages for the likes of Fantasia, Parish and any others down there. It doesn't have to be anyone special necessarily. That's why next year I'd like to see round 1:

Langford - Brown - Daniher
Parish - Bellchambers - Fantasia

With players like Colyer, Watson, Merrett(s) etc rotating through there.

If you don't want to pay the world of course.

If you want a supremely gifted KPF, you give up something to go and get it.

If you don't want to pay the world of course.

If you want a supremely gifted KPF, you give up something to go and get it.
I agree, but I'd also prefer a ruckman who won't be a liability when he goes there.
Fwiw

Don't mind TBC being a focal point in attack. Could easily be a 35 goal a year key forward for two years until we draf, develop get someone to fill that void.
As I said, doesn't necessarily have to be anybody special. Redpath is doing it for the Dogs and he's an average player at best.

John Butcher may be available, ditto Michael Apeness
I'd be interested in Alex Barns from North Adelaide as a mature aged player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back