Analysis Our forward line - KPF depth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats peoples thoughts of us drafting the next small indigenous gun fwd coming through? (are there any this year?)...we have lacked x factor up forward. With Hooker coming back, Joey, Brown and TBC I think we can make that area work with the right combination. Laverde, Fantasia, Langford, maybe Jobe, and resting mids have mediums sized players covered. We need an Eddie Betts, Cyril type up there IMO but I guess they are hard to find.

Is Orazio black enough?

Hope tonight ended all debate about him. Don't think he's AFL standard atm.

Stangest thing is today was about Patton's best game for the season - Gave Gwilt some troubling moments but is still struggling - And Lobb was cleaned up by Hartley - Lobb has had 2 monster games but otherwise has just been going - Though Lobb is tracking well for a third year player.

Next years forward-line
HF: Watson - Daniher - Colyer
FF: Fantasia - Bellchambers - Hooker

If Watson hangs up the boots, Parish takes his spot.
If Hooker plays back, Brown takes his spot.

Tonight really showed we have the foundations of a strong forward combination.

The Brown/Daniher combination is really starting to gel. 3 goals or more in 7 of the last 8 games is evidence enough of the chemistry between the two.

Let's not discount the natural forward abilities of both Fantasia and Tippa (who played forward throughout juniors and his early VFL days). They didn't get sucked up into the play, had the natural forward nous to roll into the hole and back in the mids to win the ball, something we had seen far to often from mids parading around as forwards (see Hams, Jackson, Parish on occassions has done this also).

Tonight's forward line also showed that it could be set for the next 8 years with the return of the #12.

F: Fantasia (19) - Brown (26) - Tipungwuti-McDonald (22)

HF: Jayden Laverde (20) - Daniher (23) - ???? (Langford? - Colyer?)

I think it's really coming together, we have a clear structure and we're just moving players through positions to find who fits best and then leave them there a bit to develop some chemistry. Average AFL games in the forward line must be about 20 I think.... and only maybe 10 with that combination of blokes. Impressed with the 28 scoring shots today, and that's not including out on the full either - and with a somewhat depleted midfield. A bit more composure, experience and chemistry and it could've ended very differently. Such is 2016. But something's working!
Looks to be;
  • Two talls, pushing up the ground, resting down as well as on the bench (Daniher and Brown, possibly Hooker pushes Brown out next year)
  • A resting ruckman (Leuey/Jamar this year, Leuey/TBC next year).
  • Two smalls, Fantasia as a creative small. Can we clone him? And a defensive small, dangerous but with good pressure. Baguley tried down there before he got his knee fixed up, now Tippa is down there. Could also be McKenna or something, given he seems to be learning defensive craft. Robbing Peter to pay Paul in the mean time, I guess. Bird, Stokes and Crowley have also acted as a stopgap for the lack of smalls this year.
  • A medium forward (Laverde rotating off the bench today).
  • And then a rotating mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward-line 2017

HF: Langford - Daniher - Laverde
FF: Fantasia - Hooker - McDonald-Tipungwuti

Is it finally fixed?

Hooker is not a full forward. he's an AA defender who can pinch hit.

I'd like to see Langford at full forward and Joey at CHF.

Hooker is not a full forward. he's an AA defender who can pinch hit.

I'd like to see Langford at full forward and Joey at CHF.
I'd like Joey to put on some upper body size. Langford as a forward could do with more weight too.

He kicked 20 goals in 10 matches forward last year.

not the point.

he played up forward because our forward line was a dysfunctional shambles. with Joey coming along in leaps and bounds, plus Langford, Laverde, Tippa etc... we can play Hooker in his best (AA) position.

I'd like Joey to put on some upper body size. Langford as a forward could do with more weight too.

while I agree with Langford... Joey not so much. I don't think he needs to become a Tom Hawkins. his timing, leap and mobility is his strength.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back