Analysis Our forward line - KPF depth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Unimpressed. I like to control the ball and tempo and that's not the forward line to do it.

We're basically playing on the counter with no real system.

There is no real point to all the small forwards. We'll see what happens when Joe and Hooker return.

Woosha basically hinted that he saw Colyer as a mid and that he felt they could play in the one team, the real test for the forward line will be the return of Joe and Hooker.

I like having the four in the side this enables them to be rotated, as we saw tonight, Tippa was quiet early yet the small mids had kicked seven goals or so between them before Tippa came into the match in the second half. This kind of forward set up is both about how we play but also will influence how oppositions will have to set up their backlines.

After the first goal within a minute I think it was just have fun footy, no point showing tactics/ set plays to the whole competition in the first game.

I felt the gameplan was pretty clear, we looked to move the ball quickly by both hand and by foot, we were mostly direct and were attacking.

Unimpressed. I like to control the ball and tempo and that's not the forward line to do it.

We're basically playing on the counter with no real system.

There is no real point to all the small forwards. We'll see what happens when Joe and Hooker return.

Personally liked it, was difficult for the smaller boys without the tall support to feed off, but they kicked 9 goals between them from counter style. That is excellent.

The problems came late when our midfield was conceding easy deep clearances, which then made the transition break down and we started kicking long down the line to no one.

Put genuine intercept players back there and the counter attack will keep flowing.

Missed Daniher. He would have sensed the Pies gaining momentum after those 2 super goals and kick 3-4 goals to get us back on track.
I noticed after we kicked it in down the line after a point in that last quarter, there'd be no mark and the Pies would just crum it and send it back inside 50. A Hooker or Daniher especially would've been perfect for that situation.

Missed Daniher. He would have sensed the Pies gaining momentum after those 2 super goals and kick 3-4 goals to get us back on track.
I noticed after we kicked it in down the line after a point in that last quarter, there'd be no mark and the Pies would just crum it and send it back inside 50. A Hooker or Daniher especially would've been perfect for that situation.

I'm just going to say it now and never again - but you two are confusing the hell out of me with your avatars right now.

Personally liked it, was difficult for the smaller boys without the tall support to feed off, but they kicked 9 goals between them from counter style. That is excellent.

The problems came late when our midfield was conceding easy deep clearances, which then made the transition break down and we started kicking long down the line to no one.

Put genuine intercept players back there and the counter attack will keep flowing.
This is an excellent summary and exactly what I saw. Once we took off Watson and Heppell and we started to concede clearances and we changed how we went into 50.

Woosha basically hinted that he saw Colyer as a mid and that he felt they could play in the one team, the real test for the forward line will be the return of Joe and Hooker.

I like having the four in the side this enables them to be rotated, as we saw tonight, Tippa was quiet early yet the small mids had kicked seven goals or so between them before Tippa came into the match in the second half. This kind of forward set up is both about how we play but also will influence how oppositions will have to set up their backlines.

The irony of this being that last night Colyer was his usual self when playing in the middle (i.e. non-existent). Could not believe that he was taking centre bounces.

Edit: the other issue is that we got pounded in the middle when Watson, Myers and Heppell were rested. The replacements, Parish, Merrett and Zaharakis, even if they are really good are small and we're not getting any inside grunt from Colyer, Green and Fantasia (which is more about Fantasia's size than this his effort and ability).

In the last quarter that was Collingwood minus their best tap ruckman and their three best ball winners (and I don't recall seeing much of Sidebottom either). The on-ball units who faced off against each other in the last quarter were of an equivalent standard and they tore us apart.

It's the first game of the pre-season and was a very strange match to watch. It's not like there is even the slight cause for concern (because so much of last night was meaningless) but there were a few useful insights into the overall balance of the side.

The fact that we could hardly get the ball to a leading forward (or even provide space for the forwards) and that we were pulled apart in the middle in the last quarters are good indicators to me that the balance of the selected side was out of wack.

Last edited:
The irony of this being that last night Colyer was his usual self when playing in the middle (i.e. non-existent). Could not believe that he was taking centre bounces.

Edit: the other issue is that we got pounded in the middle when Watson, Myers and Heppell were rested. The replacements, Parish, Merrett and Zaharakis, even if they are really good are small and we're not getting any inside grunt from Colyer, Green and Fantasia (which is more about Fantasia's size than this his effort and ability).

In the last quarter that was Collingwood minus their best tap ruckman and their three best ball winners (and I don't recall seeing much of Sidebottom either). The on-ball units who faced off against each other in the last quarter were of an equivalent standard and they tore us apart.

It's the first game of the pre-season and was a very strange match to watch. It's not like there is even the slight cause for concern (because so much of last night was meaningless) but there were a few useful insights into the overall balance of the side.

The fact that we could hardly get the ball to a leading forward (or even provide space for the forwards) and that we were pulled apart in the middle in the last quarters are good indicators to me that the balance of the selected side was out of wack.
Agree largely but the unknown is whether the centre square slaughter would have occurred if Leuenberger had stayed on. I.e. Was it about the mids or the fact that Cox was winning everything?

Worth noting that Goddard, who can be an effective inside mid, and Hocking(didn't play) were also absent - I saw the warning signs too but perhaps things weren't as they seemed on first thoughts.

Colyer playing inside is an experiment surely.....doubt we'll see it when the real thing starts. It's not his game. Noting you don't think much of his actual game anyway.....

You're really not a Colyer fan are you?

No, not really because he's work around the ball is abysmal and his is vastly overrated around here because he looks good on TV.

He's got a few useful tricks, his pace is an asset and he is good forward including overhead.

Not everyone is suited to playing on the inside, I understand that, but outside players have to run hard both ways and at least be able to pressure opponents.

He's obviously doing something right because coaches like him but it confuses me. He's one of those guys who seems to escape being judged by the harsh standards that so many others are judged by.

Last edited:
Agree largely but the unknown is whether the centre square slaughter would have occurred if Leuenberger had stayed on. I.e. Was it about the mids or the fact that Cox was winning everything?

Worth noting that Goddard, who can be an effective inside mid, and Hocking(didn't play) were also absent - I saw the warning signs too but perhaps things weren't as they seemed on first thoughts.

Colyer playing inside is an experiment surely.....doubt we'll see it when the real thing starts. It's not his game. Noting you don't think much of his actual game anyway.....

I think it has been mentioned on the media a few times that Fremantle did not convert Sandliands' dominance of taps into dominant clearance work.

I'm reluctant to attribute it to Cox because even if he was wining the hit outs we were still getting murdered when the ball hit the deck (I don't remember clear take aways from taps which went straight to Collingwood players).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it has been mentioned on the media a few times that Fremantle did not convert Sandliands' dominance of taps into dominant clearance work.

I'm reluctant to attribute it to Cox because even if he was wining the hit outs we were still getting murdered when the ball hit the deck (I don't remember clear take aways from taps which went straight to Collingwood players).
I think there were a few but even so you'd expects the guys to adjust their structure rather than just watch it happen again and again.

I think you're underselling the impact of us resting Leuenberger for the majority of the last quarter there is not much McKernan can do against a giant like Cox which gave free rain to the Collingwood mids.

Once the real stuff starts it surely can't be hard to stagger the midfield rotations so we don't end up with 3 of our smaller midfielders in at the same centre bounce.

X2.....well said. Look at our first goal; you'll be seeing a lot of that this year. ;)

Ill be concerned if we fade out again against GC. I'm hoping it was the players we rested that caused the fade out.

It's pretty safe to say that we aren't going to be fielding all of Tippa, Green, Fantasia and Colyer in the one team as we go into the season; at least one of those boys is going to drop out.

I'm sort of with Bruno on this; Colyer definitely has his highlights but he's a very one-dimensional player.

Laverde and Langford clearly want more midfield time this year, and both of them are decently (if not electrifyingly) quick but with much bigger bodies.

To be honest, we can't ignore all the free kicks that we gave away in the last quarter, especially in the ruck contest. It gave Collingwood first use of the ball and set up their play

It's pretty safe to say that we aren't going to be fielding all of Tippa, Green, Fantasia and Colyer in the one team as we go into the season; at least one of those boys is going to drop out.

I'm sort of with Bruno on this; Colyer definitely has his highlights but he's a very one-dimensional player.

Laverde and Langford clearly want more midfield time this year, and both of them are decently (if not electrifyingly) quick but with much bigger bodies.
We will. I tip that Walla will be put in defence to give us run off half back. Colyer will probably be put on the wing. Fantasia might get some run in the midfield as well.

Do I see a different Colyer? One dimensional?

He was one of the main reasons why we beat Hawthorn in 2015. He gave us the spark that lifted our side.

And he single-handedly beat St Kilda with that long running goal. His overhead marking and much improved kicking was great.

We lost all run after he became injured and only won twice after that. Firmly entrenched in our best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back