Our Forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Taberner needs to go beast mode and have a break out year. Proper break out like 40+ goals and dominant. Like he has shown a couple of times this year. That needs to now be his norm.

Natural progression of McCarthy and Kersten. Fyfe resting for longer periods.

Then the mosquito fleet of Matera, Walters, Ballas and whoever plays small pressure forward.

Bennel needs to contribute.

Cox, Dixon will receive opportunities and for mine Kersten is the one in the gun.

100% no to Sandi as any type of forward.

Reckon this thread has some new currency for discussion re the above with the players selected, ruck forward and inside mids.

Good clever players in the guts may give us quite a few options once they get their hands on the ball and combined then out to either side as well as straigt down the guts. Think we have lacked in this area last few years. Dixon maybe a year away? Can see him straightening us up and giving the crumbers opportunity (seems good in this area of his game). How well could Jones and Meeks do if selected re forward pocket etc. We could easily see the likes of McCarthy, Kersten and Taberner getting direct hits from good delivery. Even an extra 4-5 in a game would make a difference. Thats my hope.
Don't forget Stranadica as KPF/Ruckmen in senior wafl level is better than Tac cup meek , and his senior Peel stat also pretty close to Jones .

If sandi is fit, darcy starts at FF. If sandi goes down, darcy becomes number 1 and then we bring in either Tabs/Ape/Cox as back up ruck/Fwd.

My gut instinct is telling me we'll persist with Kersten/Mccarthy as our 2nd and 3rd tall targets. They won't get as many chances as they did in 2017, but they have the runs on the board as kpf's compared to ape/cox/tabs so they'll most probably start.

Throw in Matera, Bennell and Walters. It shouldn't be too grim.

i am intrigued to see if we will try out Dixon early if he goes okay for Peel. I guess the first four to five weeks will see Mc Carthy Taberner and Kersten. Matera, Ballas, Bennell, Walters vying for small forward spots. So will we only bring the young ones in if they are showing form over a number of weeks for peel. Or will we roll the dice throughout the year trying to see how they go at AFL??

i am intrigued to see if we will try out Dixon early if he goes okay for Peel. I guess the first four to five weeks will see Mc Carthy Taberner and Kersten. Matera, Ballas, Bennell, Walters vying for small forward spots. So will we only bring the young ones in if they are showing form over a number of weeks for peel. Or will we roll the dice throughout the year trying to see how they go at AFL??
Darcy, Cox and Griffin all got games, so they have shown they don't go with the idea that the big boys need some protection until they have built their bodies. But I doubt if it would be an early season debut if he does get a game.

I won't be surprised to see him rolled out for a test in the NAB cup if we hear that he's had a ripper preseason. If those two things work well, that may then lead on to an early debut. But he'll need to show in preseason that he is ready (even if not at his future best).

The thing would be, is his body ready to mix it with the big boys - some of the tall defenders are big units. Is his core strength developed sufficiently - it's one thing as a forward to push 18 year olds out of the way when you are the biggest guy on the paddock by a country mile, a different thing to push hardened 28 year old athletes around that are your size (and in instances, bigger).

Or will we roll the dice throughout the year trying to see how they go at AFL??
My prediction all the new toy will play AFLX, as for trying to see how they go at AFL , only pick 2 and pick 5 will be look at early in the season and the other will play at least 8 round of peel before anyone had a chance . Dixon early debut will definitely be a bonus .

Taberner needs to go beast mode and have a break out year. Proper break out like 40+ goals and dominant. Like he has shown a couple of times this year. That needs to now be his norm.

Natural progression of McCarthy and Kersten. Fyfe resting for longer periods.

Then the mosquito fleet of Matera, Walters, Ballas and whoever plays small pressure forward.

Bennel needs to contribute.

Cox, Dixon will receive opportunities and for mine Kersten is the one in the gun.

100% no to Sandi as any type of forward.
I wouldn't be counting on Ballas, his numbers are on the decline, poor. Not one of our forwards kicked
thirty goals for the year.
In contrast LeCras over 30, darling over 40 goals.
Should be huge improvement from Bennell, Matera 22 goals in 10 games, injury permitting.
McCarthy, Tabs, are the ones that need to lift, considering what was offered the first time for GWS, we
dodged a bullet.
More goals are required from the mids, with only Fyfe hitting the scoreboard 17 goals.
Hopefully Ross has broken down the Tigers game plan, utilises our new recruits, to create a makeshift
forward line where everyone contributes.
But without forward pressure on the opposition, don't expect many wins for the year.
Kids appear to be just the tonic required to deliver a vastly better balance of attack/defence play.
Thankfully no skinny flankers, role players.
Walters could be our wildcard if we can find him a partner in crime.

I wouldn't be counting on Ballas, his numbers are on the decline, poor. Not one of our forwards kicked
thirty goals for the year.
In contrast LeCras over 30, darling over 40 goals.
Should be huge improvement from Bennell, Matera 22 goals in 10 games, injury permitting.
McCarthy, Tabs, are the ones that need to lift, considering what was offered the first time for GWS, we
dodged a bullet.
More goals are required from the mids, with only Fyfe hitting the scoreboard 17 goals.
Hopefully Ross has broken down the Tigers game plan, utilises our new recruits, to create a makeshift
forward line where everyone contributes.
But without forward pressure on the opposition, don't expect many wins for the year.
Kids appear to be just the tonic required to deliver a vastly better balance of attack/defence play.
Thankfully no skinny flankers, role players.
Walters could be our wildcard if we can find him a partner in crime.
Nice analysis.

There are a couple of BIG things I am really interested to see as the season progresses;
  • Does Darcy or any of the other rucks have a significant role in the forward structure?
  • Taberner and Apeness .... it is a pretty good time for either of them to make a statement. Go "beast mode" as someone else posted.
  • Dixon... whay does he have in him at this early stage of his career and how will he be managed?

Most have Bennell, Walters and Matera to go with the talls. Not much in the way of defensive pressure. The first choice smalls are not renowned for their tackling. It's not a great situation with the way we just bomb it in long and don't pick out targets.

Not sold on Ballantyne, Grey or Switkowski playing, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of them in the side each week.

Most have Bennell, Walters and Matera to go with the talls. Not much in the way of defensive pressure. The first choice smalls are not renowned for their tackling. It's not a great situation with the way we just bomb it in long and don't pick out targets.

Not sold on Ballantyne, Grey or Switkowski playing, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of them in the side each week.
I think defensive pressure is (firstly) a product of a well coordinated forward line more so than having one or two high pressure players in the mix. Good defensive forwards only impact if the rest of the forward line is working well together and everyone is being accountable. Mayne excelled when the forward line was gelling.

Croz and Grey are both good at defensive pressure but had very little impact because our forward line was a mess this year. Often seemed like we had 6 (or 5) independent individuals in our forward line rather than a cohesive team working together. Change that and guys like Bennell, Walters, Matera and Cerra will all be fine being accountable in it. I'm hoping Crowden debuts pretty early - think he has all the tools to not only apply pressure (and kick some goals) but also elite disposal inside 50 (plus another rotation inside eventually). Dixon is known for bringing smalls into the game, so hoping he gets a go early as well.

Defensive accountability and working cohesively are the two things I'm thinking will stop Tabs from being a long term option for us. Great contested mark now but doesn't utilise those around him nearly enough. Cox was a bit the same this year imo. For similar reasons I think he'll probably become a better defender (strong marking isn't the only attribute of a good forward) but it was his first year so he's still got plenty of learning either way. McCarthy and Kersten were also disappointing with their defensive pressure so expecting huge improvement from them both this year.

I'm hoping we are pretty ruthless next year with selections in our forward line. Anyone not pulling their weight defensively should be dropped to give another youngster an opportunity. Our back line is starting to gel well - it's time our forward line stepped up.

I think defensive pressure is (firstly) a product of a well coordinated forward line more so than having one or two high pressure players in the mix. Good defensive forwards only impact if the rest of the forward line is working well together and everyone is being accountable. Mayne excelled when the forward line was gelling.

Croz and Grey are both good at defensive pressure but had very little impact because our forward line was a mess this year. Often seemed like we had 6 (or 5) independent individuals in our forward line rather than a cohesive team working together. Change that and guys like Bennell, Walters, Matera and Cerra will all be fine being accountable in it. I'm hoping Crowden debuts pretty early - think he has all the tools to not only apply pressure (and kick some goals) but also elite disposal inside 50 (plus another rotation inside eventually). Dixon is known for bringing smalls into the game, so hoping he gets a go early as well.

Defensive accountability and working cohesively are the two things I'm thinking will stop Tabs from being a long term option for us. Great contested mark now but doesn't utilise those around him nearly enough. Cox was a bit the same this year imo. For similar reasons I think he'll probably become a better defender (strong marking isn't the only attribute of a good forward) but it was his first year so he's still got plenty of learning either way. McCarthy and Kersten were also disappointing with their defensive pressure so expecting huge improvement from them both this year.

I'm hoping we are pretty ruthless next year with selections in our forward line. Anyone not pulling their weight defensively should be dropped to give another youngster an opportunity. Our back line is starting to gel well - it's time our forward line stepped up.
I like a lot of what you say here. I do disagree on Cox. I felt he was involved in some very good passages of play leading up to the wings and moving the ball on effectively.

I like a lot of what you say here. I do disagree on Cox. I felt he was involved in some very good passages of play leading up to the wings and moving the ball on effectively.
Sorry should have clarified. I meant inside 50. Both Tabs and Cox are fine out on a wing - except another high half forward isn't what we desperately need - we need a really solid inside 50 tall target that can both mark inside 50 and bring the smalls into the game (preferably two). Hoping that's Dixon and that we find another in next year's draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Jones and Meek on board, esp Jones, what becomes of Strnadica? More forward time than rucking in 2018....played predominantly as a tall forward in both the state U/18 carnivals he played in from memory....will be a crucial year for the kid, esp with Freo 2017 draft picks in Dixon, Jones and Meek keen to impress, plus the likes of Apeness and Taberner been at the club for a few years now.....not trolling guys only asking because I know Luke's dad well.....

With Jones and Meek on board, esp Jones, what becomes of Strnadica? More forward time than rucking in 2018....played predominantly as a tall forward in both the state U/18 carnivals he played in from memory....will be a crucial year for the kid, esp with Freo 2017 draft picks in Dixon, Jones and Meek keen to impress, plus the likes of Apeness and Taberner been at the club for a few years now.....not trolling guys only asking because I know Luke's dad well.....
Fair questions. We are perhaps slightly overstocked as we transition from the Sandilands era. Strnadica kicking goals as a forward would lock in a very good contract. The situation is fluid and someone needs to catch that wave.

Strnadica is still a rookie, project player who was playing a lot of WAFL reserves this year, so it remains to be seen whether he'll even make it.

Sorry should have clarified. I meant inside 50. Both Tabs and Cox are fine out on a wing - except another high half forward isn't what we desperately need - we need a really solid inside 50 tall target that can both mark inside 50 and bring the smalls into the game (preferably two). Hoping that's Dixon and that we find another in next year's draft.

The skill and ability of Cox to being others into the game is a world apart from Tabs’. Tabs can lead and mark up the wing but things become a little stilted from there. Cox can also lead and mark but has ability to create once he gets it.

Apeness can't be expected to go beast mode, unfortunately. He has a long way to go to get back in the seniors. Expectations are, hopefully, for him to have a solid pre season, gain fitness and form for Peel and then crack the AFL team by round 7/8 onwards. Big if though. Looking like all potential but reality shows he's injury prone and not consistently on the park. Has to stay fit or he's pretty much on the scrap heap at the end of the season

>>>>>Keep this brilliant summary on the burner wayToGo - will be good to review the sides performance against this summary say after every 7-8 games during 2018. Reckon your on the money in most all you've said here. :thumbsu:

With Stone leaving the club, will we be cleaner in the middle, or just try to bulldoze, our one trick pony? Half backs would
arguably be our greatest gain.
Our inside/outside quality should ensure plenty of clean ball to the forwards, on paper that is.
Hopefully Hale, is he still the forwards coach, can construct some unity on and off the field, turning defence into attack.
A little unpredictability of our known style of play, players, could reap quicker results, less taxing and give the fans
something to be excited about.

Nice analysis.

There are a couple of BIG things I am really interested to see as the season progresses;
  • Does Darcy or any of the other rucks have a significant role in the forward structure?
  • Taberner and Apeness .... it is a pretty good time for either of them to make a statement. Go "beast mode" as someone else posted.
  • Dixon... whay does he have in him at this early stage of his career and how will he be managed?
I seriously think Darcy will be awesome as a forward splitting open packs and taking marks deep forward. Cerra too could seriously add something to the forward set-up. He had eight shots at goal playing for one half forward at TAC level in his only game playing forward. His marking in the highlights reminds me of Fyfe in the early days of his career. I think our forward line will surprise greatly in 2018.
My set up at the moment is:
Hf: Walters Tabs McCarthy
FF: Matera Darcy Bennell
With Cerra on the bench playing forward with small stints on the ball when on the ground. Mundy playing forward/mid (50/50 when on the ground) with Walters spending 50/50 onball forward too.

Last edited:
I seriously think Darcy will be awesome as a forward splitting open packs and taking marks deep forward. Cerra too could seriously add something to the forward set-up. He had eight shots at goal playing for one half forward at TAC level in his only game playing forward. His marking in the highlights reminds me of Fyfe in the early days of his career. I think our forward line will surprise greatly in 2018.
My set up at the moment is:
Hf: Walters Tabs McCarthy
FF: Matera Darcy Bennell
Cerra on the bench playing forward with small stints on the ball when on the ground. Mundy playing forward/mid (50/50 when on the ground) with Walters spending 50/50 onball forward too.
We need one of our growing population of rucks to be forward capable, and preferably more than one. It is as simple as that.

I expect Cerra to do some forward time as well, but given he is in shoulder recovery mode it is doubtful to be as early a debut as Brayshaw.

Im optimistic Tabs will breakout this year. Possibly reading too much into it but thought he showed massive improvement in his last few games for Freo last year. I woulnt be surprised at all if Cox was ahead of him next year, but Like I sad Im hopeful that everything will click for Mathew next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back