List Mgmt. Our future forward line?

Remove this Banner Ad

After Lynch's contract announcement, at the start of the 2020 season, we will have:

Tex - 29 yrs, 11 months
Jenkins - 31 yrs, 1 month
Betts - 33 yrs, 4 months
Lynch - 29 yrs, 9 months

Plus McGovern (25), Fog (20), Gallucci (21), and whoever we bring in over the next two trading and drafting periods.

The two big question marks for mine are Tex and Betts. Both have dropped off dramatically this year and it remains to be seen whether it's due to age, injury or our misfiring midfield (or a mixture of all three). Tex in particular has played barely a dozen games in the last two years where he hasn't looked to be struggling fitness-wise. I very much doubt he makes it to 200 games (currently on 161).

A number of us wanted Lynch traded to open up a spot for Fog (though Burton and Hass are doing a great job of that) and to free up salary cap. That's not going to happen now. It's also pretty hard to see Jenkins being moved on due to our ruck depth being so poor.

Our much-hyped forward line in the GF and at times this year has looked glacial and has struggled to prevent the opposition running it out with ease. Cameron has been a big loss, while we've also missed McGovern (he's another one who struggles to stay on the park).

I think first and foremost we need to pump as many games into Fog, Gallucci and co. as possible for the rest of this season, and bring in a couple of lightning quick, smaller forwards in the draft/trade period. If Gov leaves, then we go after a Lukosius or a King brother.

Thoughts?

(this is not intended to be another #sackburton thread)

Riley Knight another question mark. We're missing that forward who can apply pressure and keep the ball in. No Knight, no Cameron, at times no McGovern and our lack of speed has shown.

Knight, though handy, hasn't become the player he looked like being in the 2015 finals series. Plus he seems to be cursed by injury.

More and more teams are going smaller amd faster in their forward half. I know you don't necessarily have to play follow the leader but our forward structure does seem a bit dated. Mind you, our midfield has been getting destroyed so perhaps judging a bit harshly.

On Lynch - could he become a genuine wingman?

After Lynch's contract announcement, at the start of the 2020 season, we will have:

Tex - 29 yrs, 11 months
Betts - 33 yrs, 4 months
Lynch - 29 yrs, 9 months

Plus McGovern (25), Fog (20), Gallucci (21), and whoever we bring in over the next two trading and drafting periods.

The two big question marks for mine are Tex and Betts. Both have dropped off dramatically this year and it remains to be seen whether it's due to age, injury or our misfiring midfield (or a mixture of all three). Tex in particular has played barely a dozen games in the last two years where he hasn't looked to be struggling fitness-wise. I very much doubt he makes it to 200 games (currently on 161).

A number of us wanted Lynch traded to open up a spot for Fog (though Burton and Hass are doing a great job of that) and to free up salary cap. That's not going to happen now. It's also pretty hard to see Jenkins being moved on due to our ruck depth being so poor.

Our much-hyped forward line in the GF and at times this year has looked glacial and has struggled to prevent the opposition running it out with ease. Cameron has been a big loss, while we've also missed McGovern (he's another one who struggles to stay on the park).

I think first and foremost we need to pump as many games into Fog, Gallucci and co. as possible for the rest of this season, and bring in a couple of lightning quick, smaller forwards in the draft/trade period. If Gov leaves, then we go after a Lukosius or a King brother.

Thoughts?

(this is not intended to be another #sackburton thread)
I think Betts demise is a bit premature. After a quiet start he’s had a decent year. The unknown is how his hammys will hold up.

I agree with the rest of it though. We desperately need some speed, hopefully we can jag Rankine.

Our forward line has definitely suffered with our struggling midfield and lack of quick ball movement from defence with Smiths absence.

Rankine - Fogarty - McGovern
Lynch - Walker - Knight

Betts will be well and truly cooked and Jenkins simply fallen behind Fog

Lynch - Walker - Knight

Keep an eye out for sladojevic next year in the u18's in our next gen academy. Highly rated and if he comes on could form a formidable forward combo with fog over the coming years. We must target mids and speed in this draft with rankibe priority number 1

Lynch to the wing, piss Atkins off.

Forward line of:

Rankine Walker Gov
Betts Jenkins Gooch

Interchange Knight/Murphy/Fog

Fog takes Walker's spot more or less permanently in time, if Gov leaves, Fog takes that spot instantly.

Lynch - Walker - Knight

Quite like this , with Lynch playing the connector role he pushes up the ground and Gallucci , etc coming the other way with frontal pressure .

Lynch - Walker - Knight

And thus we are now stuck with 500k+ of salary cap in the reserves. Why signing Lynch is a massive stuff up.

Trade to get Lukosius would be my choice. Gov is very good but we have Sladojevic coming through and Fogarty with Tex + Jenkins + Lynch playing for at least the next 3 years.
Tradable IMO if the Pick is number 1 (without having to add 2 firsts).

I'm open to that idea. Use McGovern as the carrot to try to get the currency required to get the no.1 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tex - 29 yrs, 11 months
Betts - 33 yrs, 4 months
Lynch - 29 yrs, 9 months

Of those 4, in 2020, my feeling is that only Lynch will be still in top form. He relies on skill and his running capacity, which should still be perfectly fine at 30/31. He doesnt take body damage as much as the more contested players. I think Betts will be cooked. Especially if he keep throwing his body at these unrealistic marking attempts. Somebody has to tell him he is not being paid to take screamers. Score involvements and defensive pressure is all thats required. JJ will still have some run in him, but not sure he has the quality behind him to be a player that continues his late 20s form into his early 30s. His body is taking more damage than previous years and we need that more contested type of footy from him. I think that will shorten his career. He is borderline effective even now.

Tex is the enigma here. I dont think we have done Tex any favours by playing him underdone the last few years. I know we think he is the greatest captain on earth, but I dont think he is a player that stands up when they are injured. Some players can play through it successfully. Tex hasn't. When he is fit and firing, he is even now one of the most damaging forwards in the game. More than his beautiful kicking from distance, its his ball use going into forward 50 that is as damaging as any player in the AFL. But take away fitness, or add a niggling injury and he is not the same player. I dont see how a player that has struggled with injuries from age 25-27 is going to be in better shape when he is 30. And if he is not in shape at 30, he wont be any use to us.

Lynch to the wing, piss Atkins off.

Forward line of:

Rankine Walker Gov
Betts Jenkins Gooch

Interchange Knight/Murphy/Fog

Fog takes Walker's spot more or less permanently in time, if Gov leaves, Fog takes that spot instantly.

Exactly what they need to do now they’ve signed Lynch, either him or Gov (if he’s still here) need to be played on the wing permanently or split their time there 50/50, need to get both more around the ball when they are having quiet games.

Fogarty like predicted when drafted is already causing issues by rocking the coaches box ‘settled’ boat, he needs to play but unless he puts in a huge pre-season and goes in the middle for spurts it again could result in him being in & out just like this year but probably only in the unlikely event there’s no injuries or departures. Providing him with a settled spot ideally would help his development a lot more but finding that spot is hard unless one opens up, they could even end up trying him down back to round out his game a bit more if the coaches have a rare unorthodox thought.

Our future forward line:
Lynch McGovern Knight
Betts Fogarty Rankine

Would trade jenkins for a second round pick.
Walker imo has probably a year left in him. Would play him in the team if he can sort out his foot problems. Would keep gov at all costs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back