Analysis Our Game Plan - Detailed Discussion Only

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the sarcasm was obvious.

I just thought you were being a smart arse. Anyway I can see we're playing differently and I welcome that but let's do that against the good sides.

I just thought you were being a smart arse. Anyway I can see we're playing differently and I welcome that but let's do that against the good sides.

The Pies were highly rated pre season, rated higher than us in fact.
It is a tired argument, if we win then it is only against lesser opposition, when we beat the better opponents it's either (1) only H&A or (2) they were missing key players or (3) they played really badly and it will be different in the finals. If we lose then it is because (1) "I told you we were sh!t" or (2) We aren't as good as XXXX or (3) Without the perfect game plan and perfect team with absolutely no shortcomings we can't possibly be a chance to beat the better teams or (4) Sam Reid.

We can only beat who we play on the day, we can't have a do-over because they weren't ready or player x was injured or play less well just because the opposition is having an off day. 2 teams get picked and play on the day, win lose or draw.

Fans are in an all rainbows frame of mind because that is exactly what it is, we have smashed 2 teams, what is NOT all rainbows about that?

we have smashed 2 teams, what is NOT all rainbows about that?

That's your opinion mate. Personally I'm very happy with how we're going at the moment, but I prefer to keep a lid on it, as I still think it's very early to start getting excited. Others may feel differently.

That's your opinion mate. Personally I'm very happy with how we're going at the moment, but I prefer to keep a lid on it, as I still think it's very early to start getting excited. Others may feel differently.

IMHO we have beaten two deeply flawed teams. Teams we would expect to beat. However we beat them playing a much better brand of football than the last couple of years where our struggles were writ large - including against the blues at the sch where the first half in 2014 or 15 was appalling redeemed by the third quarter.

I'm happy with how we are playing but do expect some matches where things go pear shaped. At the moment our first use is meaning we are on the front foot early. This weekend will be an interesting contrast because mummy is in great form and the Giants midfield - griffen ward shiels are exceptional talents.

I think we can safely say that our new game plan won't be interchangeable depending on the standard of the competition. As you point out however, are our players capable of implementing it against the stronger teams? I hope so, but regardless, I welcome the fact that the coaches have actually acknowledged the issues we've had over the last couple of years and that the team has been able to implement them. Maybe we will struggle against Hawthorn and the Bulldogs in 2016 (time will tell) but at least the future looks bright. Crikey, we even have a small forward now. It's like a completely different team.

Fans are in an all rainbows frame of mind because that is exactly what it is, we have smashed 2 teams, what is NOT all rainbows about that?

I'm in the rainbows camp as well. We beat Collingwood and Carlton so football supporting life is beautiful. I say, enjoy each win for what they are see what happens down the track. I still get excited seeing big Bud and Tippo wearing our jumper.

I suggest those of us that begin to show signs of happiness when we win a game, get ourselves to the fruit shop & buy a case of lemons to suck on after such victories.
That should get the smirk off our faces & put us in the right frame of mind for 'serious' discussion on here about how good the Hawks are traveling.

Nothing like reading through a Hawthorn thread on the Swans site.

I'm in the rainbows camp as well. We beat Collingwood and Carlton so football supporting life is beautiful. I say, enjoy each win for what they are see what happens down the track. I still get excited seeing big Bud and Tippo wearing our jumper.

It's as simple as that Skip!

My rainbow only has red & white in it!

IMHO we have beaten two deeply flawed teams. Teams we would expect to beat. However we beat them playing a much better brand of football than the last couple of years where our struggles were writ large - including against the blues at the sch where the first half in 2014 or 15 was appalling redeemed by the third quarter.

I'm happy with how we are playing but do expect some matches where things go pear shaped. At the moment our first use is meaning we are on the front foot early. This weekend will be an interesting contrast because mummy is in great form and the Giants midfield - griffen ward shiels are exceptional talents.

Did you think we'd beat Collingwood by 80 & Carlton by 60 points away prior after we lost to North in the final last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like reading about how well Hawthorn is traveling.

It will make it all the better when we start smashing them.

That's a good point, but this really should be in the General AFL Discussion thread ;)

It is not about the opposition.
It is the way we have played so far.
Win, lose or draw if they play that style of footy (against good and bad teams) as a fan how could you not be happy?

Did you think we'd beat Collingwood by 80 & Carlton by 60 points away prior after we lost to North in the final last year?
Interesting question.

I thought as I think most of us did that north were a very good chance against a team without a forward line, ruck, or some of our best midfielders. I wasn't too disappointed with that loss and north were playing ok at the time. So I didn't put too much store in that performance as being an indication of how we would go in 2016.

I expected us to win easily against both Collingwood and Carlton. we have beaten both of them and no-one truly expects Carlton to finish above the bottom four. I think having seen both of the pies matches that they are likely to finish about the same. So I don't think the results are all that special. But I maintain the manner of the performances has left me pleased.

I am still concerned that when we play against a team with a serious forward line and pressure around the ball that our back lines kicking will fall apart. but so far that fear is unfounded.

It is not about the opposition.
It is the way we have played so far.
Win, lose or draw if they play that style of footy (against good and bad teams) as a fan how could you not be happy?

I totally get that and I feel the same way as you to some extent, but this thread is called "Our Game Plan - Detailed Discussion" so you are naturally going to get people saying how they think we could improve. I'm not sure how else I can explain it.

We are playing a different style and trying to move it quicker and use the corridor more

Im surprised and pleased, dont even care about the result or who we played

But play this way we will win more than we lose

Wether we can beat the best or not, time will tell, but it gives us the best possible chance

We are playing a different style and trying to move it quicker and use the corridor more

Im surprised and pleased, dont even care about the result or who we played

But play this way we will win more than we lose

Wether we can beat the best or not, time will tell, but it gives us the best possible chance

That's how I see it.
Always have, knowing full well that game style would change once the proper personnel were put in place. That personnel wasn't there last year. The very reason we are putting our trust into a couple of kids, Hewitt, Mills & Heeney, is because they are 3 of the most skillfull members of our team who are critical to us carrying out this game plan.
The flip side of that is that being so young generally brings inconsistency at times which in turn against the teams more seasoned to this fast style of play, we are going to perhaps come up short for the time being.
So we need to be patient with this game plan & our youngsters because it will be a long season.
If we beat the teams we should beat then we can finish top 4 & come finals time, if all these youngsters are well enough & have accumulated consecutive games together playing this style, then we have a chance of striking when it matters, but might I suggest that even the optimism I like to show with our boys is a little subdued in 2016 when it comes to the ultimate success.

2017 - 2020 will be our time to strike again. We will bring in a big name IMO next year. We may lose someone but the ban is gone & we will strike.

That's how I see it.
Always have, knowing full well that game style would change once the proper personnel were put in place. That personnel wasn't there last year. The very reason we are putting our trust into a couple of kids, Hewitt, Mills & Heeney, is because they are 3 of the most skillfull members of our team who are critical to us carrying out this game plan.
The flip side of that is that being so young generally brings inconsistency at times which in turn against the teams more seasoned to this fast style of play, we are going to perhaps come up short for the time being.
So we need to be patient with this game plan & our youngsters because it will be a long season.
If we beat the teams we should beat then we can finish top 4 & come finals time, if all these youngsters are well enough & have accumulated consecutive games together playing this style, then we have a chance of striking when it matters, but might I suggest that even the optimism I like to show with our boys is a little subdued in 2016 when it comes to the ultimate success.

2017 - 2020 will be our time to strike again. We will bring in a big name IMO next year. We may lose someone but the ban is gone & we will strike.

No way know will we be able to recruit a big name player at the end of the year. The COLA this year is at $600k and will go to zero next year (2015 was $800k). The only way that we could end up with more money to spend at the end of this year would be if we are only spending 92% of our salary cap which wouldn't be the case. The only other way of getting a big name in would be to lose one of our gun players.

No way know will we be able to recruit a big name player at the end of the year. The COLA this year is at $600k and will go to zero next year (2015 was $800k). The only way that we could end up with more money to spend at the end of this year would be if we are only spending 92% of our salary cap which wouldn't be the case. The only other way of getting a big name in would be to lose one of our gun players.

Towers is a gun (It must be true I read it on Bigfooty), we can swap him for a KPD, surely?

Yep!
Exactly what I said in that last sentence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back