Opinion Our game plan isn't conducive to winning football

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We don't play winning football. Sometimes I struggle to understand what our game plan even is when we bomb it forward and give Lynchy absolutely no hope in a 3 on 1 situation with no crumbers to be found. Occasionally we try to play slingshot footy and then our poor skills through the middle inevitably cost us. We need something fresh and if Rocket isn't capable of doing that and has to be sacrificed at the end of the season then so be it. I'm fed up with waiting because I know we have the quality to play finals footy. Do you guys agree?

The crazy thing is it doesn't even seem like we need something fresh, we just need individual players making the best decision when going forward inside 50

Like Lynch 3 on 1 is never ever the best option

I understand other players are leaving their man to group up on him but wtf is everyone else in the fwd 50 doing

The crazy thing is it doesn't even seem like we need something fresh, we just need individual players making the best decision when going forward inside 50

Like Lynch 3 on 1 is never ever the best option

I understand other players are leaving their man to group up on him but wtf is everyone else in the fwd 50 doing
So we can agree that there's no way Rocket is purposely setting them up structurally so our midfielders have no other option than to bomb it to Lynchy 3 on 1. That means our players aren't following whatever our game plan is when they do that, and believe me they do it a lot more than I would like! So why are they doing that? Are they not happy to play Rocket's style for four quarters? Sometimes I watch a player like Aaron Hall trying to kick the miracle goal from 60 out but ends up missing and then the camera cuts to the goal posts and you occasionally see Lynchy spraying said selfish player because he actually had good position and was in a 1 on 1 situation. Mind you, Hally did lower his eyes a few times today and tried to hit a forward lace out on the chest but it's just another example of our players going away from Rocket's game plan.

The word was that the players were given an almighty spray after the China game and were whipped on the training track as a result yet we follow up the Port game with that disgraceful effort in the second half. Maybe the players don't respect Rocket or believe in his game plan or think his tactics are outdated? Do they even WANT to play for him? I really don't know but it's obvious our players aren't doing what they should be doing for us to win games of football. That's where I'm starting to think we might be better off with a fresh game style that will work and maybe that means a new coach.

We don't play winning football. Sometimes I struggle to understand what our game plan even is when we bomb it forward and give Lynchy absolutely no hope in a 3 on 1 situation with no crumbers to be found. Occasionally we try to play slingshot footy and then our poor skills through the middle inevitably cost us. We need something fresh and if Rocket isn't capable of doing that and has to be sacrificed at the end of the season then so be it. I'm fed up with waiting because I know we have the quality to play finals footy. Do you guys agree?
Why do you make a thread for every opinion you have? Surely this could go in the numerous of other threads we have.

Watching on TV probably isn't the best way to assess a gameplan but it is obvious the running from half-back and using our hands is a key component to the gameplan. The problem with that is it only works on a few occasions for us. The last few games we have looked really slow and you can't execute that plan slowly. Issues are obviously with player positioning and decision making as I don't think we are a slow team. arguably the most frustrating thing to watch is consistent handballs to team mates in trouble and then if that doesn't happen they have to slow it down because they've got no forward targets. This leaves me to believe our forwards don't have the work rate to run up the ground and offer a press and then push forward for options. Change the God damn plan to suit the players or change the players to suit the plan. After all you can't put a square through a round hole.

What I'd like to freakin' know is if Lynch is triple teamed what are the other 2 lazy ******s who are now obviously released doing??? because you never seem to see them in shot.
Just Lynch vs 3 gorillas and emptiness
Forward line emptiness
Everywhere

Yep. And not just this, but last night I also noticed especially in the 2nd half, that Melbourne would have 2 or 3 more players around the ball getting in their, and yet one handball out and they have 3 spare players on the outside running the ball unopposed inside 50. And it has happened alot this year.
Where do all our players hide on the field? Is it that they dont fully understand where they are meant to stand in the gameplan? Lazy? Unfit? Dont like the physical stuff? Playing like u/10s where all they do is chase after the ball but when the opposition have it wait for someone else to win it back?

We are all duck no dinner right now, and until that changes we are going to remain mediocre with the occasional game that makes you think we are on the up. And we are going to continue getting smashed in the media for it as well.

Watching on TV probably isn't the best way to assess a gameplan but it is obvious the running from half-back and using our hands is a key component to the gameplan. The problem with that is it only works on a few occasions for us. The last few games we have looked really slow and you can't execute that plan slowly. Issues are obviously with player positioning and decision making as I don't think we are a slow team. arguably the most frustrating thing to watch is consistent handballs to team mates in trouble and then if that doesn't happen they have to slow it down because they've got no forward targets. This leaves me to believe our forwards don't have the work rate to run up the ground and offer a press and then push forward for options. Change the God damn plan to suit the players or change the players to suit the plan. After all you can't put a square through a round hole.
The Suns recruit players to play one position. They develop them to play one position. They run out on the weekend and run to that position and don't move. We have one game plan. We get worked out and exposed too quickly and no plan B. It's under 12's stuff.

The Suns recruit players to play one position. They develop them to play one position. They run out on the weekend and run to that position and don't move. We have one game plan. We get worked out and exposed too quickly and no plan B. It's under 12's stuff.
This could be a big part of our problems

Heard a few coaches this year, notably Don Pyke say that versatility was a big part of their pre season preparation

Doesn't seem to be a focus for us

This could be a big part of our problems

Heard a few coaches this year, notably Don Pyke say that versatility was a big part of their pre season preparation

Doesn't seem to be a focus for us
Bevo does the same thing.
If you cant play at least two positions you dont make the side.

On the weekend Simon Goodwin kept on making changes to the way the Dees played.
He was able to influence the game from the coaches box.
When the Dees seized control of the game Eade and Co were clueless and did nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the weekend Simon Goodwin kept on making changes to the way the Dees played.
He was able to influence the game from the coaches box.
When the Dees seized control of the game Eade and Co were clueless and did nothing.
Yep he's lost me as a Coach going forward.
Pretty sure we're not going to have to worry about it much longer. Which is a positive. His purpose has been served.

Our 'soft' fixtures for the remaining games in the season don't look so easy anymore. Can see us only winning 3-4 Max...home games I thought were winnable (pies tigers bombers north) would all beat us right now. Hawks will have vengeance on their minds and at the G' will belt us next wkd. For me leaves Carlton and Lions (!!) as non-negotiables, maybe spring one upset in there, possibly this wkd?? I fear for the renainder of 2017 and huge question mark surely now on whether May wants out, and who could blame him?

Last edited:
The Suns seriously need to change their forward line structure.
Especially the way Tom Lynch is being use.
3 on 1 = Predictable, one dimensional & too reliant on 1 player.

I think it's important for me to point out that our mids made the (W)right choice by not kicking to an outnumbered Lynch in the forward 50 in the last two minutes and instead found a lead up 2 metre Peter who was clutch when we needed it. It certainly wasn't an amazing performance by any means but it was better than our two games previous.

Garry said in the interview after the game that the big focus this week was on lowering the eyes going into the 50.
Still think we are very one dimensional in our overall movement. If the team cuts off our switch then we really struggle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back