Analysis Our Game Plan under JLO

Remove this Banner Ad

To me there are two keys to getting lots of scoring shots:

Getting clean possession in the attacking half forward area - think of it as a band from about 50m arc to a second ~75m arc - getting a clean possession in that patch of ground.

Kicking to a moving target inside forward 50m arc. So much harder for the defender to cover a moving target without giving away free kicks. It clears congestion and stretches the defenders. Please no more kicking to a static pack and then demanding our small forwards win the ball and pull off miracles in heavy congestion.
Just looking back in that Round 16 derby loss late this season....

Still shocked we kicked 2.19. Mind you half of those where rushed points. But some of those shots we had....2.14.22 at 3 quarter time. Had we kicked 5.10.40 at 3 quarter time then ended up kicking 5.15.45, it would of been just another forgettable loss.

We also had 60 inside 50s while eagles had 50.

Strange thing was, after that game, the least amount of Goals freo kicked between rounds 17-23 was 7 goals and one of those games we kicked 7 goals was when we won by a point vs the swans.

Freo was averaging just under 72 points a game or 10.12.72 a game. Its not as restrictive as some people think. Again there were games freo kicked 4-7 goals and get pumped by 60-90 points. There were other games where freo kicks 12-14 goals and win by 20-30 points. Big difference between the best and worst.

We've done what you've said above in recent years and the results speak for themselves. Playing the best 22 players and repositioning them into a side has resulted in playing way too many inside players. Making too many errors by foot. Getting caught with too many ball watcher types in open play. Being terrible at linking up play and consistently having no forwards in front of the ball. While having to Play the likes of Cerra, Conca and Blakely on quicker faster outside players because we have the wrong match-ups are just some of the results of an oversimplified game plan. Feel free to disagree, but Im not sure why you'd post the above in a thread discussing a potential game plan. Kinda like how I never got why people gave abuse to training reporters for posting their views in the training threads. People come to big footy forums for different reasons.
Well my philosophy is if you cant beat a team with talent, beat them with versatility.

We played Walters on a wing to take advantage of his pace, even though he usually plays up forward. I dont mind Walters play 50% of the Game on the wing and 50% on the forward line as long as he kicks 30 goals a season and it maximizes freos chances of winning games. That means Switkowski and Matera play in the forward pockets.

I can live with Rory Lobb playing 50% of the game as a ruckman and 50% as a full forward, if that helps freos chances of winning too.

People have Mixed opinions on Brennan Cox. He still can play both at CHF and CHB.

Well my philosophy is if you cant beat a team with talent, beat them with versatility.

We played Walters on a wing to take advantage of his pace, even though he usually plays up forward. I dont mind Walters play 50% of the Game on the wing and 50% on the forward line as long as he kicks 30 goals a season and it maximizes freos chances of winning games. That means Switkowski and Matera play in the forward pockets.

I can live with Rory Lobb playing 50% of the game as a ruckman and 50% as a full forward, if that helps freos chances of winning too.

People have Mixed opinions on Brennan Cox. He still can play both at CHF and CHB.
I think we should expect a diffent mid/forward setup under JLo, so many fans bewildered by our kick it to a
contested marking pack.
When was the last time we got some easy goals out the back, and space created by different leading patterns?
Pies don't have the usual twin towers forward line, we don't have the electric pace, combining the two I think
will have instant results.
Cross fingers we get to see Sturt in that Stephenson role, and Henry, Taylor, Butters, bring back the run and
stun.
That and a mid who can launch the pill from 50 on the run😀
Stephens, Sharp? That and finally get SHill to drop some muscle and find his zip.

The biggest indicator that our game plan was stuffed last year was when kicking in after a behind. We'd apparently trained heaps of scenarios in the off season to use the booming kicks of Ryan and Wilson to exploit the new kick in rules, and things seemed to be going ok early in the year.

By round 13-15 we'd reverted to just chipping to the dead pocket and hoofing it up the line, only to see it rebound back with interest.

JLo needs to not only implement winning game plan, it needs to one that the players understand and are able to execute for the full season.

Has he ever played chb at all level. I can't remember

Has he ever played chb at all level. I can't remember
We talking about Brennan cox?

Even though he is 193cm and has played as a 3rd tall defender, He has played at CHB. I swear he played as a key defender this year when Alex Pearce got injured.

When freo picked him up at the 2016 Draft, I was excited to get him. On his Weclome to freo Brennan Cox thread, I told everyone we got a good player, A harry taylor type swingman.

When he was playing for Woodville west torrens in the SANFL, he kicked like 20 goals from 11 games in the SANFL reserves. I saw him play Against my SANFL team South Adelaide both times in 2016. He did well at CHB.

By round 13-15 we'd reverted to just chipping to the dead pocket and hoofing it up the line, only to see it rebound back with interest.

JLo needs to not only implement winning game plan, it needs to one that the players understand and are able to execute for the full season.

They were waiting for the only tall in the team to move closer to the boundary so when the opposition three talls around them spoil it we can try and push the ball towards the boundary line rather than spill inside and get punished on the turnover.

We got blocked out of our use up the middle.

If we have a 90% chance of blunting opposition attack by pushing right up on them, all players in the 50m ahead of the ball, but if the ball gets out the back it's basically a guaranteed goal against then I think it's worthwhile. That worked well against us. Teams without their own strict and successful style could play that defense on us and try and beat us in the scrap, with those that have their game plan confidently enough bedded down to back in against anyone bring that style against us.

That's why I think we were able to beat top teams playing their way against us, allowing us to win the ball out of the middle - basically our strength when everyone is trying to do that.

More like have enough experience on the park for enough weeks to implement it consistently. Age is a massive factor in carrying out team plans.

If Longmuir is lucky enough to have a team run out with an age average of around 24.5 yrs week in week out he'll have a much better chance to see his style of play stamped on the contest.

For this reason, with Hill and Langdon gone, Aish and Acres were very handy gets in the trade period, as incidental as they may have been.

I think we should expect a diffent mid/forward setup under JLo, so many fans bewildered by our kick it to a
contested marking pack.
When was the last time we got some easy goals out the back, and space created by different leading patterns?
Pies don't have the usual twin towers forward line, we don't have the electric pace, combining the two I think
will have instant results.
Cross fingers we get to see Sturt in that Stephenson role, and Henry, Taylor, Butters, bring back the run and
stun.
That and a mid who can launch the pill from 50 on the run😀
Stephens, Sharp? That and finally get SHill to drop some muscle and find his zip.

Richmond won the 2017 Grand final with a forwardline of one tall forward and a few gut running mids.

Hell I don't mind the Occasional mid launch the ball from 60 metres for a shot a goal on the run. Hell I dont mind Nathan Wilsons gut running form a half back flank

More like have enough experience on the park for enough weeks to implement it consistently. Age is a massive factor in carrying out team plans.

If Longmuir is lucky enough to have a team run out with an age average of around 24.5 yrs week in week out he'll have a much better chance to see his style of play stamped on the contest.

For this reason, with Hill and Langdon gone, Aish and Acres were very handy gets in the trade period, as incidental as they may have been.
Its not the age that needs to be checked, its depth too.

You look at freos forward line. There is depth in the smalls and talls.

Again, Freo kicked 21 goals vs North in round 1. Hogan didnt play but we had Lobb, Tabs and McCarthy as the talls.

No chance in hell freos going to have a full list of forwards available.

Hell, I expect Longmuir to grind out wins If Hogan and Walters both miss out a week or 2 during injuries mid season. A forward line that has Lobb, Tabs, McCarthy, Switkowski and Matera is good enough to kick 12-16 goals on a good day in my honest opinion

Its not the age that needs to be checked, its depth too.

You look at freos forward line. There is depth in the smalls and talls.

Again, Freo kicked 21 goals vs North in round 1. Hogan didnt play but we had Lobb, Tabs and McCarthy as the talls.

No chance in hell freos going to have a full list of forwards available.

Hell, I expect Longmuir to grind out wins If Hogan and Walters both miss out a week or 2 during injuries mid season. A forward line that has Lobb, Tabs, McCarthy, Switkowski and Matera is good enough to kick 12-16 goals on a good day in my honest opinion
Age and depth are often interdependent. But the more experienced the team, the better they're able to cope with injuries. Hopefully there's not too many times Longmuir doesn't have all of Hogan, Lobb and Taberner available.

I worry about his ability to sway the group. This is where I think the Saints went down hill after Lyon left. He has the senior / star players on side. They are the ones that need to buy in.

Fyfe, Walters, S.Hill, Mundy need to tow the party line. Fyfe already said something I didn’t like, game plan just needs tweaks, not too many changes too quickly. wTF, pull into line and follow your new coach. If wholesale changes are needed, embrace them.
Jeez you're laying into Fyfe Mundy Walters and Shill.

It's pretty much expected, Lyon had full support from the senior playing group and believed in the systems he put in place. Evidence from their games would reinforce this view. Now it is Longmuir's job to sell his vision to the playing group, it's part of his job requirement to do so, same as what Lyon had to do when he took over.

It's not a simple case of "Fyfe should believe in our new coach because he should" true buy in that Richmond players have for Hardwick takes time and personal skills.
Exactly. It's not as if Fyfe Mundy and all the rest of the team and Longmuire, won't have the same thing in mind. The changes being made are seeing us as much more of a connected group from top to bottom. I don't care what anybody says.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Age and depth are often interdependent. But the more experienced the team, the better they're able to cope with injuries. Hopefully there's not too many times Longmuir doesn't have all of Hogan, Lobb and Taberner available.
Well back in 2012-15 Freos KPF stocks were an Aging Pav, Kepler Bradley, A young Taberner and a young but injury prone ruck Forward in Michael Apeness. We lacked that 2nd tall to help pav in that 2012-15 period.

We now have Lobb, Taberner, and Hogan as KPFs. McCarthy and Cox are both around 192cm and 90 kg and can play either as a CHF or a tall forward flanker. None of those blokes are youth. All are between 22-27 years old.

Its inevitable that injuries will occur.

Any Half decent coach should find a way to make our team kick 12-16 goals in a game.

I have said this on many threads. If Hogan gets injured then that means Tabs or Lobb are more likely to get double teamed. Hogan is only one Player. Freo kicked 21 goals in round 1 without Jesse Hogan, who in many dockers fans opinion if fully fit and on top form is easily our best KPF.

Again there are a few ways freo can score goals.

Plan A: Bomb the ball to Rory Lobb or Matt Tarberner and they kick 2-3 goals. they are both capable of doing that

Plan B: If Lobb or Tabs is double teamed in the goal square, pass to Cam McCarthy on a lead and he kicks 3-4 goals. He is capable of doing that.

One of our better wins of the season was the GWS win away from home. 16 goals were kicked and 4 guys kicked 3 goals each.

Another memorable win was the dogs at home. Freo only kicked 13 goals but Matera lead the way with 5 goals.

There are so many Variables on Freo winning games.

I can see freo kicking 13 goals, McCarthy kicks 4, Matera with 2 and Lobb with 2. theres 8 goals there. then 5 mids kick 1 goal each.

A team that makes finals usually finds a way to grind out a win regardless if 2-4 of the best 22 is out injured.

Walters doesnt have straight line pace. He can changed direction quickly. Im pretty sure he has hardly played wing at all. Sometimes he starts half forward and pushes into the midfield. Really dont think Cox can play chb at afl level.

Walters doesnt have straight line pace. He can changed direction quickly. Im pretty sure he has hardly played wing at all. Sometimes he starts half forward and pushes into the midfield. Really dont think Cox can play chb at afl level.
For most teams the wing is part of the midfield rotation, for us it wasn’t because we had 2 blokes who couldn’t play anywhere else & played it more traditionally, some might say predictably.

If Walters goes through the wing it won’t be an issue, Sidebottom plays a lot on a wing & is hardly explosive. The wing should be renamed outside mid & is not a hard position to teach or adapt too.

Walters is far more dangerous pushing forward from the midfield as he can lose his opponent on transition, I think this suits him more than being a stationary forward as he struggles being caught out 1v1 & too often plays for free kicks.

Re Cox, if he is not starting for Freo, he has to spend some time back at Peel & show us he is capable, so if a forward or back goes down he can adapt & offer that point of difference going forward. Even if he starts forward & goes back for the last quarter & a half of games at Peel from time to time.

For most teams the wing is part of the midfield rotation, for us it wasn’t because we had 2 blokes who couldn’t play anywhere else & played it more traditionally, some might say predictably.

If Walters goes through the wing it won’t be an issue, Sidebottom plays a lot on a wing & is hardly explosive. The wing should be renamed outside mid & is not a hard position to teach or adapt too.

Walters is far more dangerous pushing forward from the midfield as he can lose his opponent on transition, I think this suits him more than being a stationary forward as he struggles being caught out 1v1 & too often plays for free kicks.

Re Cox, if he is not starting for Freo, he has to spend some time back at Peel & show us he is capable, so if a forward or back goes down he can adapt & offer that point of difference going forward. Even if he starts forward & goes back for the last quarter & a half of games at Peel from time to time.
Sounds about right.

If the ball is in our defensive 50 for a boundary throw in, everyone is on one half of the ground. Once freo win the ball, Walters is on the wing, Gut runs it. If he is 60 metres out and no one is there, might as well take a shot on the run.

The loss of outside run is a good chance to hurt us next season... But I watched our win against the Dogs in Rd 5, 2018 to get a feel for how we could still be competitive sans Brad Hill.

Our outside run was exceptional despite playing a hobbled Stephen Hill, and Ed Langdon being very average. Neale had relatively minimal impact in the game as well. Sandi dominating the ruck certainly helped but our pressure on ball, and our ball movement from half to back to half forward was as good as it has ever been (without relying on tall targets down the line). It was a great example of sharing the load on the outside. We didn't rely solely on Brad Hill running the ball down the wing. We instead had lots of overlapping players and opened up space with quick ball movement and the confidence to hit kicks.

We transitioned fast but we didn't rely on fast runners. The exception being Wilson who continually took the game on from half back. Him getting back to his best (he was woeful this year) could be the most important thing in Freo being competitive next year. That game is the perfect example of confidence. Tabs got injured early, so we relied on McCarthy being our tallest forward and we still managed to get over 100 and double their score.

If we are going to play so many inside types then we need to take the game on and back ourselves in to keep the ball moving forward. Avoid the down the line kicks as much as possible and be willing to take some (semi) risky kicks to open up the field. Inject explosive pace in the back line and forward line (to break lines and win the race back to goal respectively) but through the middle just get the ball moving and keep it moving quickly - no over thinking!

I found our first game at Optus in Rd 2 v Essendon last year similar. Brad Hill was probably a liability in that game - he turned the ball over a heap and cost goals and Stephen was similarly bad. It was a great win imo because we played lots of debutants, had a rabble of a forward line, but our young role players all did their job, we moved the ball as a unit (not relying on individuals too much) and got over the line. Shout out to Banfield and Crowden who did some great things in those two games. If we had a half decent forward line we should have smashed them.

I look back on a lot of the top teams and I still think they look better than they are because they are true "teams". They play as a unit. They can still have a star like Martin (Fyfe for us) but overwhelmingly they move as one. Once you have the pieces it is all about creating a champion team - the role players are just as important as the stars if you want to win a premiership. Neale left and our contested footy improved dramatically. I'm hoping our two wingers leaving makes us play a less reliant (on individual) brand of footy on the outside as well.

The loss of outside run is a good chance to hurt us next season... But I watched our win against the Dogs in Rd 5, 2018 to get a feel for how we could still be competitive sans Brad Hill.

I look back on a lot of the top teams and I still think they look better than they are because they are true "teams". They play as a unit. They can still have a star like Martin (Fyfe for us) but overwhelmingly they move as one. Once you have the pieces it is all about creating a champion team - the role players are just as important as the stars if you want to win a premiership. Neale left and our contested footy improved dramatically. I'm hoping our two wingers leaving makes us play a less reliant (on individual) brand of footy on the outside as well.

This was the weird thing.

I remember back in 2018, freo were ranked 17 in contested possessions. Surprising since freo had solid clearance players in Fyfe, Mundy and Neale.

You would think we would struggle next season with runners considering Brad Hill and Ed Langdon is gone.

Funny with the predictions thread on the main board last season. despite freo finishing 14th in 2018 with no forward line, Some people predicted freo to finish bottom 2 or wooden spoon in 2019

And yet whenever we desperately needed a goal in the close games we sent Walters to FF one out. Paid off almost every single time.

As far as I can remember Cox has barely played as a key defender on the oppositions tall forwards even at wafl level. He seems to have played more as a loose tall who takes marks in state league games. Ive only seen a little of wafl live and the televised games in recent years to be fair, so ill stand to be corrected if wrong. However, from what I can recall he is anything but a shutdown defender. I know he was an underage centre half back all australian, but even then it seemed he was getting accolades more for his marking and intercepting than for shutting down a man.

I also think wing is still a position played by players who stay wide of the contest rather than those who win their own ball. Hate the idea of Walters on a wing to be honest as he will get exposed for pace by quick players in straight line running who stay wide of the contest. I much prefer him playing a 50/50 role split between an inside mid who starts in the centre square and pushed forward. Or a roaming half forward who uses his natural forward skills to get free on short sharp leads where he changes direction quickly.

And yet whenever we desperately needed a goal in the close games we sent Walters to FF one out. Paid off almost every single time.
Apart from the fact that pretty much every time in recent years when he has kicked the winning goals he was playing onball and pushed forward when he kicked the goals. Including all match winning last kick efforts the previous season.

Our outside run was exceptional despite playing a hobbled Stephen Hill, and Ed Langdon being very average. Neale had relatively minimal impact in the game as well. Sandi dominating the ruck certainly helped but our pressure on ball, and our ball movement from half to back to half forward was as good as it has ever been (without relying on tall targets down the line). It was a great example of sharing the load on the outside. We didn't rely solely on Brad Hill running the ball down the wing. We instead had lots of overlapping players and opened up space with quick ball movement and the confidence to hit kicks.

We transitioned fast but we didn't rely on fast runners. The exception being Wilson who continually took the game on from half back. Him getting back to his best (he was woeful this year) could be the most important thing in Freo being competitive next year. That game is the perfect example of confidence. Tabs got injured early, so we relied on McCarthy being our tallest forward and we still managed to get over 100 and double their score.

If we are going to play so many inside types then we need to take the game on and back ourselves in to keep the ball moving forward. Avoid the down the line kicks as much as possible and be willing to take some (semi) risky kicks to open up the field. Inject explosive pace in the back line and forward line (to break lines and win the race back to goal respectively) but through the middle just get the ball moving and keep it moving quickly - no over thinking!

I found our first game at Optus in Rd 2 v Essendon last year similar. Brad Hill was probably a liability in that game - he turned the ball over a heap and cost goals and Stephen was similarly bad. It was a great win imo because we played lots of debutants, had a rabble of a forward line, but our young role players all did their job, we moved the ball as a unit (not relying on individuals too much) and got over the line. Shout out to Banfield and Crowden who did some great things in those two games. If we had a half decent forward line we should have smashed them.

I agree completely with the view that Wilson should not play wing as he is in the bottom 5 at freo for 2km running last preseason. However, I think he can still add to our outside run by getting fitter and playing as a defender who drifts further up the ground like he did at GWS. Really hope we get Ash and Stephens as their biggest strength is taking the game on with quick run. Stephens looks like he could very well play from round 1 considering how he goes at senior state league level. A potential wild card in terms of outside run is actually Ethan Hughes. For all the doubters on his decision making he is one of the few freo players who constantly takes the game on and has far more score involvements than some of the more conservative freo players who look like better kicks.

As far as I can remember Cox has barely played as a key defender on the oppositions tall forwards even at wafl level. He seems to have played more as a loose tall who takes marks in state league games. Ive only seen a little of wafl live and the televised games in recent years to be fair, so ill stand to be corrected if wrong. However, from what I can recall he is anything but a shutdown defender. I know he was an underage centre half back all australian, but even then it seemed he was getting accolades more for his marking and intercepting than for shutting down a man.

I also think wing is still a position played by players who stay wide of the contest rather than those who win their own ball. Hate the idea of Walters on a wing to be honest as he will get exposed for pace by quick players in straight line running who stay wide of the contest. I much prefer him playing a 50/50 role split between an inside mid who starts in the centre square and pushed forward. Or a roaming half forward who uses his natural forward skills to get free on short sharp leads where he changes direction quickly.
In regards to Cox, I think you just described the modern intercept defender, in the mould of McGovern, but as I mentioned if he is behind Hogan, Lobb, Tabs, McCarthy & the other rucks in Darcy & potentially Meek in playing forward, then I personally would be asking to play back to be that 3rd tall defender, take the weakest forward & be the intercept defender.

None of those players above have that capability & if durability gets you a game, then I’d be asking for it. Adam Hunter at WC was an average defender & an average forward, but he was able to change a game with his durability.

The wing is changing, you just need to look at Geelong. Over a game they would run Selwood, Duncan, Menegola, Kelly & even Blicavs through there amongst others.

It’s about getting the correct match up from game to game & having your best players around the ball for longer. Walters may spend 3 minutes a quarter on a wing with the instruction to be very aggressive in running forward. His man will be covered by others on turnover as part the defensive structure.

These are the type of plans we haven’t seen for years at Fremantle & what makes the likes of Hardwick, Clarkson & Simpson premiership coaches. Dom Sheed is not quick, but that exact type of creativity & pre planning is what won WC the flag last year when pushed aggressively forward to kick the final goal.

Henderson at Hawthorn had a great year on a wing, with a different role. He doesn’t follow his opponent deep into defence as he is covered as part of the Hawks defensive structure. Henderson’s role was to be the link between forward & back & played predominantly between the arcs.

I’m just saying that we are now in a position to be far more creative with that wing rotation & less predictable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back