Roast Our goal kicking coach (Gia) is not working out....

Beasley

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2005
Full Forward
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
To quote Grandpa Simpson "I just want attention"
Apologies Dexter .......... you are correct. Stupid of me for having the nerve to mention that our players aren't accurate in front of goal.

I thought they could have been better, but I guess I was wrong. I'll leave you to be the board policeman.

Easton Thighs

Unqualified Mōderator
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A little bit of fun:p

qQxUT8c.gif

bobby2

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We seem no better or worse than the AFL average.

Has anyone got this year's stats? I know last year we were actually amongst the most accurate sides.
Last year we were 7th in the league, at 51.4%. League average was 50.0% and best was Hawthorn at 55.9%. Next best was 53%.

This year we are 14th at 46.4% so far. League average is 50.3%. We're not doing great so far this year, but five games is quite a small sample size. Just for a bit of perspective, the difference between 46.4% and 50.3% at this stage is about one shot per game. Keep in mind that for four of those first five games, we were missing the league's best set shot. Now that Dickson is back, he could easily push us over league average for the rest of the year.

Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
While I was very pleased that we scored 17 goals last night our highest number this year we still did struggle quite a bit with our usage of the footy inside 50. How can be more effective in this department? I liked seeing Tommy Campbell take a few great grabs in there.

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
Out searching for omens pointing to our next flag.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our biggest issue, it cost us the final last year and it's still a major problem is set shots, from not far out , not much angle, we keep missing them. Kick those pure and simple.

The rest, well some entries are better than others, happy to conceded we won't score goals from every entry. But set shots 30 to 40 out, gotta kick em.

Monsieur Hulot

Draftee
Apr 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We are missing Crameri and his ability to create space . Space does appear out of nowhere and needs a forward to lead to the ball - so that room opens up behind them . Jake usually props and runs backwards . We need a bloke who leads from the square straight at the ball carrier -can Redpath do that ? Can we coach Hamling to do that? Lots of our forward work is a scramble 30 metres out from goal .
Our sensational mid field is kind of covering this structural gap at present.

Dec 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arizona Cardinals
The problem is the sport science guys, they only allow players maybe 10 set shots a night, think back to pluggers day or any great goal kicker they would do 100s every training night.

Every coach seems to point the finger at sports science but none of them seem to say "enough" and override them. I don't know why they don't. These science blokes must have a solid arguement to stop the forwards doing more concentrated work on this basic skill

murphy2bedabest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
On the final table-ALL IN
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Man U and Melbourne Storm
Are Lockett and Dunstall too old to employ as a goal kicking coach? Surely we could wheel one of them out to give our guys a few pointers. Or, surely Vic Uni has a course in Goal Kicking 101? :confused:
Good luck with either one of them, though Gia loved dunstall as a kid, massive hawks fan

Back