News Our home finals would be at Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

If you guys finish second and Swans third where do you reckon they would play?
Maybe ANZ this season but what about 5 years time?

In 5 years who knows. We "may" sell out every home game so they upgrade Spotless.
We may not so spotless will be fine.
If we do have sustained success, I have no doubt that we'll see big pressure placed on Spotless. Sydney is the ultimate bandwagon town after all. Another factor is the Big Bash. If it keeps growing in a sustainable way, that will be further pressure.

No finals at ANZ this year. Swans have said no and there's no point putting the Giants there, even if they did play the Swans in a home final. Biggest crowd between the two is about 37,000; which would be playing in a soulless ground with a crap surface.

All our home finals will be at Spotless Stadium. We got that in writing earlier this week.

If thousands of Swans supporters miss out on a ticket, too bad for them. They're the ones who led the jihad against ANZ Stadium.

Not trying to start a s**t fight here, a serious question.

Is there any difference between the AFL having the bulldogs play a home final at the MCG and GWS having a home final at the SCG/ANZ?

If you can get a guarantee that it'll be at spotless then I would encourage that, because it's what you deserve, but in the interest of fairness should it be moved if it meant more fans can see the game?

It's annoying because
A: they've changed their mind in the space of a month.
B: if the Swans finish higher and draw us it would likely be at the SCG.
So it's inequitable in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any difference between the AFL having the bulldogs play a home final at the MCG and GWS having a home final at the SCG/ANZ?

If you can get a guarantee that it'll be at spotless then I would encourage that, because it's what you deserve, but in the interest of fairness should it be moved if it meant more fans can see the game?

Understand where you're coming from. It is my very strong belief that any Dog's home final should be at Etihad. We shouldn't have to move and neither should you. That's the whole point of a "home" final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understand where you're coming from. It is my very strong belief that any Dog's home final should be at Etihad. We shouldn't have to move and neither should you. That's the whole point of a "home" final.
I agree with Ichabod. Dogs' home finals should be at Etihad, Geelong at Simmonds, GWS at Spotless. Only difference could be that teams have to play the GF at the MCG, so there is 'some' value in other Victorian sides playing there. But essentially, you, Geelong, GWS (and their fans) would be dudded. I get the issue of larger crowd size, so I'll just sigh heavily and hope we don't end up versus Swans.

It's annoying because
A: they've changed their mind in the space of a month.
B: if the Swans finish higher and draw us it would likely be at the SCG.
So it's inequitable in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on.

But what's going to happen when ANZ is no longer available as an oval sports venue? What happens then, when we finish above the Swans on the ladder, and qualify for a home final in which we play them? Where would they move it to?

The only other suitable facility in Sydney is the SCG, and it would ridiculous for the AFL to schedule our home final against the Swans at their venue. It would reward the Swans for finishing lower than us on the ladder, and wouldn't be credible, especially as the Swans have complained for years about ANZ being a "neutral" venue which disadvantages them.

Quite a bit of distance difference.

Edit. To clarify that the distance is for the SCG. ANZ as we know is not really looked after well as an oval.

Edit. To clarify that the distance is for the SCG. ANZ as we know is not really looked after well as an oval.

...and unlike the MCG/Ethihad which may have two games on a weekend, there is a strong chance that there would be two games on a weekend and a reconfiguration from rectangular to oval.

So, here's hoping if we do get a home final it's not against the Swans.

Quite a bit of distance difference.

I think the equivalent would be moving the GF from the MCG to one of the suburban parks for whatever reason - I rate ANZ that low.

Seriously, how many Swans fans go to finals games at ANZ Stadium? Didn't they barely get over the SCG capacity last year?

Makes no sense.

You're right about them getting barely over SCG capacity in the 2014 PF against North, but they got well over it in the 2012 PF against Collingwood.

But that's not the point.

The point is the days of ANZ Stadium being an oval sports venue are numbered. When that happens, if we finish above the Swans on the ladder, and play them in a home final, where would that game be played? That's the question which needs to be answered.

You're right about them getting barely over SCG capacity in the 2014 PF against North, but they got well over it in the 2012 PF against Collingwood.

The point is the days of ANZ Stadium being an oval sports venue are numbered. When that happens, if we finish above the Swans on the ladder, and play them in a home final, where would that game be played? That's the question which needs to be answered.
Hopefully that won't happen until Manuka is regenerated.

I'd much rather it in Canberra than where the only other logical ground that is left in Sydney for it to be played...

SCG.
Finals were traditionally played at neutral venues - MCG or Waverley. Just good luck if that is your ground. Until the Eagles came in and it went to home state finals.
Same as how Cats v Hawks finals are played at the Hawks home ground.
Not quite fair, but still the right decision.
GWS only exist to grow the sport in Sydney, and having 25k fans miss out will not help grow the sport in Sydney.

SCG.
Finals were traditionally played at neutral venues - MCG or Waverley. Just good luck if that is your ground. Until the Eagles came in and it went to home state finals.
Same as how Cats v Hawks finals are played at the Hawks home ground.
Not quite fair, but still the right decision.
GWS only exist to grow the sport in Sydney, and having 25k fans miss out will not help grow the sport in Sydney.
Spotless.

Its our final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back