Our home game. Why the white shorts!

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL make the decisions re. who wears which coloured shorts WK, unlike way back when it was a given that the home team wore the dark shorts, the away team white.

....because they got rid of black shorts 35 years ago.

Thats bullsh!t reason.

Agree. But I think it's the actual reason. The AFL went with this one in 2000 but the clubs didn't like it. We might find that we (and Geelong) wear the white shorts more often than not because we are the only two teams who wear more white than any other colour. In finals, the team who wears more white in the jumper will wear white shorts. Geelong have played 15 finals in the last 5 years but wore the navy shorts just once. If the away team doesn't wear white, we'll wear white shorts in home games regardless if the jumpers clash or not.

Had wondered why we were in white shorts. Its stupid, if theres no clash clubs should wear what they like.

Makes sense with our new clash strip being predominantly blue. Finally some common sense being shown (hopefully it applies to all teams).

FWIW, I think our traditional stripes look better with white shorts.

Absolute crap, how many times have I seen two teams wear there own coloured shorts in the same game. How does the bombers clash with the kangas?

I was also disappointed to see the whote shorts, haven't heard of this rule either. Thought it only was upon a clash that the away team wore white shorts? (happy to be proved wrong)

Personally I prefer the blue shorts and if this rule is true, they will hardly ever wear blue again!

I have noticed this "silent" rule a while back, but is seems to be applied intermittently. I also prefer blue shorts, and for some strange reason, I feel our boys play better in blue shorts. It seems like it gives them that home ground feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have noticed this "silent" rule a while back, but is seems to be applied intermittently. I also prefer blue shorts, and for some strange reason, I feel our boys play better in blue shorts. It seems like it gives them that home ground feel.

Yeah, I don't get the intermittent nature of it. Maybe just a different person deciding each time? I like the blue shorts too, and for the same reason we're getting good feedback on the new clash strip, it's because the blue is a 'stronger' colour.

i will be happy with this rule if when the pies play carlton thay wear white short at a home game and carlton wear navy shorts . not just a rule for some clubs .

I was also disappointed to see the whote shorts, haven't heard of this rule either. Thought it only was upon a clash that the away team wore white shorts? (happy to be proved wrong)

Personally I prefer the blue shorts and if this rule is true, they will hardly ever wear blue again!

There is no set rule, it's up to the AFL. Essendon seem to be the only team above uniform rules.

I don't really have an issue with it. I think kits look great with the shorts in the dominant colour.

The home team should wear their home strip and the away team fits in with that. I don't know why that is so difficullt and why the AFL can't enforce it.

Start handing out fines to away teams that do not comply.

FWIW, I do like out traditional strip with white shorts. I'd be happy enough if we wore that in all away games and the newer reverse strip at home games with blue shorts. Hose could be decided on a game by game basis.

Yeah, I don't get the intermittent nature of it. Maybe just a different person deciding each time? I like the blue shorts too, and for the same reason we're getting good feedback on the new clash strip, it's because the blue is a 'stronger' colour.

Yeah white is mehh, the royal blue is our defining colour. More blue the better, our reverse strip and blue shorts simply looks great.

FWIW, I do like out traditional strip with white shorts. I'd be happy enough if we wore that in all away games and the newer reverse strip at home games with blue shorts.

i like it

Our home game. Why the white shorts on Saturday night?

My body boiled when I saw this Sat night. It was like rubbing salt into the woods. From now on, when it's our home game, we wear our home stripe. That's it! I like to dress in exactly what the guys will be wearing on game-day and the white shorts were very unexpected on Sat night. I looked like a twat prancing around in blue shorts at the game.
And on another subject, the next baboon that asks me if I think Lionel and Greg Ritchie are related will be copping a lot more than a nut in the eye!

Article on this will be on our website tomorrow morning - it explains the AFL's stance on the shorts.

Essentially, the old rules are no longer relevant. It's about making things pretty and pleasant to look at. So disregard what used to happen and everything white shorts used to signify.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back