Our home game. Why the white shorts!

Remove this Banner Ad

How this issue, year on year, is never resolved is beyond me. We all play against the same teams and in generally the same strips year after year. How can this not be figured out when soccer competitions overseas seem to manage this (despite the fact they could play anyone in cups/Europe etc)?

“We seek to place teams in predominantly dark and predominantly light apparel, to make them easy to distinguish for both supporters at the ground and viewers at home.”

You know the AFL have no clue how to solve this when a quote like this doesn't actually consider the real reason for clash considerations - players telling each team apart.

Maybe North need to wear their inverted away uniform with the blue shorts for all their home games.
And the home jumper and white shorts for all their away games, just a thought.

Some of the greatest sporting clubs in their respective leagues and sports around the world embrace predominantly white home match-day apparel. Dallas Cowboys, St George Dragons, NY Yankees, Real Madrid, etc.

can someone tell me why there is an aversion to the predominantly white strip (white with royal blue stripes guernsey-white shorts-royal blue socks) as a main strip for NM? With the majority of other clubs in the league having a predominantly dark main strip, NM would rarely need to change any part of its apparel from match-to-match (ex when away to SYD, COL & GEE, and the socks when away to WB).

Indeed, the Dallas Cowboys in the NFL (which is similar to the AFL in that most teams have a darker/coloured strip), rarely need to change their strip from match to match because they are really the only team in the league that uses a predominantly white home strip. It's only on rare occasions that they wear their blue jersey when their opposition decides to wear white at home (generally earlier in the season in hotter weather). The reasoning for the Cowboys to become a white strip team in 1960s was mainly to simplify their strip, but I also read that so it also allowed their own fans to see all visiting teams play in their colours.

From what I've read, NM supporters appear to want to move away from its home guernsey and adopt a predominantly royal blue strip. The home white guernsey has been NM since 1933. What's the reason for the calls to change?

White appears to be the ugly red-headed stepchild in the AFL and seems to have to be avoided at all costs for home teams. I've heard comments that all-white looks weak...........what a ridiculous argument if that is the thought of many associated or following the AFL. GEE have won 3 GFs in the 'weak' white, recently.

White is classic.

White is classic.
"Classic"?! Such a trite word really. White is boring, in my opinion. More so because it is the default clash colour of just about every team.

Normally I welcome opposition supporters coming on our board with their opinions, but something erks me about an opposition supporter weighing in to this debate. Maybe because...

"It's our team, not yours!!"

White appears to be the ugly red-headed stepchild in the AFL and seems to have to be avoided at all costs for home teams. I've heard comments that all-white looks weak...........what a ridiculous argument if that is the thought of many associated or following the AFL. GEE have won 3 GFs in the 'weak' white, recently.
With apologies to rangas, yeah, that says it well.

Geelong, imo, are the only team that look better/as good in the white shorts.

Royal blue shorts when it's our home game thanks, and the new clash strip when necessary at home/away. Simple.

From what I've read, NM supporters appear to want to move away from its home guernsey and adopt a predominantly royal blue strip. The home white guernsey has been NM since 1933. What's the reason for the calls to change?

Where have you read that? As far as I can tell, most want to keep the home jumper as is and are very happy with the blue clash kit (especially after Argy)

"Classic"?! Such a trite word really. White is boring, in my opinion. More so because it is the default clash colour of just about every team.

Normally I welcome opposition supporters coming on our board with their opinions, but something erks me about an opposition supporter weighing in to this debate. Maybe because...

"It's our team, not yours!!"

in that case feel free to tell me to piss off, but I really like (from a strictly aesthetic perspective!) both of your strips. I also like Collingwood and Freo's white strips as well, and the doggies.

Shame our light colour is apparently "dark" :rolleyes: Mostly red looks s**t anyway IMO

Richmondson wore white shorts against Geelong at Sleepy Hollow last Sunday. Why we wore white shorts against Essendon is beyond me? The only conclusion I can draw is that the AFL is run by a bunch of ****wits and I don't think that is very fair. :stern look

Yes Zonder, that appears to be the case.

There is simply no other logical or reasonable explanation! :thumbsdown:

in that case feel free to tell me to piss off, but I really like (from a strictly aesthetic perspective!) both of your strips. I also like Collingwood and Freo's white strips as well, and the doggies.

Shame our light colour is apparently "dark" :rolleyes: Mostly red looks s**t anyway IMO

I actually hated the Bombers in the red shorts.

It just didn't look right.

As someone has said earlier, blue is a stronger colour than white.
But personally, I prefer more blue than white in our strip. Traditional North jumper with blue shorts works great for mine, as does the new "inverted" strip we use from time to time. But traditional jumper with white shorts would not be my preference for home games, so unless AFL has told us to wear it, I'd be puzzled as to why we'd do so.

I actually hated the Bombers in the red shorts.

It didn't look right.

I liked the novelty, but it wore off quickly. What REALLY sucks baws is the red shorts with the fat sash. It looks appalling. Makes the players all look fat. I'm not an Essendon strip fundamentalist - I actually think we should get it over with and get a good clash strip - that way you guys don't have to bend over and wear your away strip when you play us in your home game.

Feels dirty saying that over here but there you go.

I liked the novelty, but it wore off quickly. What REALLY sucks baws is the red shorts with the fat sash. It looks appalling. Makes the players all look fat. I'm not an Essendon strip fundamentalist - I actually think we should get it over with and get a good clash strip - that way you guys don't have to bend over and wear your away strip when you play us in your home game.

Mate, anyone who thinks there is ANY clash at all beween ANY North strip and ANY Essendon strip, needs to have their eyes checked immediately. Which makes our white shorts thing all the more puzzling.

When I was a young kid we used to love exchanging footy jumpers, mostly due to the different colours, and I always went for Footscray and Essendon, and you're right, the sash was never that wide.

Some of the greatest sporting clubs in their respective leagues and sports around the world embrace predominantly white home match-day apparel. Dallas Cowboys, St George Dragons, NY Yankees, Real Madrid, etc.

can someone tell me why there is an aversion to the predominantly white strip (white with royal blue stripes guernsey-white shorts-royal blue socks) as a main strip for NM? With the majority of other clubs in the league having a predominantly dark main strip, NM would rarely need to change any part of its apparel from match-to-match (ex when away to SYD, COL & GEE, and the socks when away to WB).

Indeed, the Dallas Cowboys in the NFL (which is similar to the AFL in that most teams have a darker/coloured strip), rarely need to change their strip from match to match because they are really the only team in the league that uses a predominantly white home strip. It's only on rare occasions that they wear their blue jersey when their opposition decides to wear white at home (generally earlier in the season in hotter weather). The reasoning for the Cowboys to become a white strip team in 1960s was mainly to simplify their strip, but I also read that so it also allowed their own fans to see all visiting teams play in their colours.

White is classic.

Yep, I prefer blue as the shorts colour for NMFC over white - and it seems others do too. Pretty simple reason really.

Hence I genuinely have no idea firstly, what relevance all these long-winded arguments you keep making for white have, or secondly, why you are giving an opinion on what shorts the NMFC should wear being a Sydney supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I prefer blue as the shorts colour for NMFC over white - and it seems others do too. Pretty simple reason really.

Hence I genuinely have no idea firstly, what relevance all these long-winded arguments you keep making for white have, or secondly, why you are giving an opinion on what shorts the NMFC should wear being a Sydney supporter.
Probably because he is entitled to. He has given a reasoned opinion in a respectable manner and as such should be treated with a modicum of respect, not hounded for being a Sydney supporter. It's not his fault that the majority of those guys come across as tools.

That said, I'm with you on the royal blue shorts. It just looks more North to me.

Probably because he is entitled to. He has given a reasoned opinion in a respectable manner and as such should be treated with a modicum of respect, not hounded for being a Sydney supporter. It's not his fault that the majority of those guys come across as tools.

That said, I'm with you on the royal blue shorts. It just looks more North to me.

I think hounded is a bit OTT.....the only point I was making is that dont understand why what shorts and strip the NMFC wear concerns other supporters so much?

I couldnt care less whether Sydney turned up in red/white/pink/yellow/green etc!! :D

mcgarnagle has a thing for teams strips etc., hence the interest, which is fine by me.

And yes, hounded is somewhat OTT. Antagonistically questioned perhaps?

Mate, anyone who thinks there is ANY clash at all beween ANY North strip and ANY Essendon strip, needs to have their eyes checked immediately. Which makes our white shorts thing all the more puzzling.

agree on that. The whole clash thing is bullshit. There are very few true clashes in the AFL, and certainly Ess/North is not even approaching one. We could both wear our home strips all the time and there'd never be a hint of confusion

But Royal Blue and Black is sooo confusing man....

But to be honest Lance, as long as they're in front when the final siren goes, I wouldn't care if they're wearing bland green and mauve.

But to be honest Lance, as long as they're in front when the final siren goes, I wouldn't care if they're wearing bland green and mauve.

abso-****ing-lutely!

It mostly became public when North were playing Collingwood. And mostly by McGuire.

yep, McGuire had a lot to do with it. But so has AD and the whole "soccer" ethos of light and dark.

Take Essendon, we only really clash with St Kilda and Melbourne, and even then I reckon it's borderline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back